Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something to look out for, just in case

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/02 at 21:02 (094396)

Several threads during the past year have mentioned the link between stress and PF pain. They seem to feed on one another. PF pain and limited mobility causes stress, and stress itself can lead to PF pain due to tightening of muscles and tissues, not being as careful as usual with one's feet, psychological effects, and for a number of other reasons.

I just wanted to give you all a 'Heads Up' here.

It has almost been one year since September 11th. Many people were very severely stressed by the horrific events of that day. Some of us knew people at the WTC, and others of us didn't but were deeply affected.

I got PF on September 22nd last year. Was it due to the events of September 11th? Perhaps, indirectly. Would I have been riding my recumbent bicycle so very hard and relentlessly, with the tension at its highest, and not caring if I was barefoot or not, if this had not happened? Maybe not. This injudicious riding was determined to be the cause of my PF.

So as another September approaches, I am starting to see the images appear again, one by one, on the television, more and more frequently. Sure, I admit that it affects me no less deeply now than a year ago. The images still bring tears to my eyes, but this year I'm going to try very hard to keep from having a PF relapse due to the stress.

Carole C

Re: Something to look out for, just in case

Necee on 9/03/02 at 22:28 (094413)

A very good point Carole, yes I'm sure tensions are mounting once again. It's hard to imagine that its been almost a year since that tragic day.

Happy trails...

Necee

wendyn on 9/03/02 at 23:37 (094414)

Carole, I think that almost all of us have come to the realization that stress makes all kinds of physical problems worse. A very good reminder.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/04/02 at 06:34 (094420)

Stress does seem to affect my PF. Still, no amount of tears or sadness will change what happened.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/04/02 at 19:15 (094476)

You have some good thoughts here, Carole. Thanks for reminding us what stress can do.

My principal plans to have us go outside and form a circle around the flagpole at school next Wednesday and sing 2 or 3 patriotic songs. Sometimes to do something in remembrance makes you feel better. We're going to encourage the children to wear red, white, and blue in honor of our country.

Also, in our small community, there will be a service that night with the three churches here meeting together. The huge American flag that was placed on our big bridge last year has been put up again.

As you said, nothing can change what happened, but perhaps we can honor those who helped so heroically during the tragedy and express our honor and esteem for our country.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 9/04/02 at 20:53 (094482)

Last night I spent a few hours surfing the net to read old news stories about it and study those all too familiar photos once more, of the planes actually going into the buildings, the people rushing down the stairs, the faces of the onlookers, the ash covering the city. I need to watch the presentations on television and to grieve some more for those who lost their lives, and for their families and friends whose lives were shattered. Like you, I want to honor those brave firemen and others who gave their lives to try to get others out of there.

There may get to be a point where I tell myself, 'Enough, you can't take more of this tonight'. And then I'll shut the television off for a while for my own good. I'm also going to periodically pay attention to my feet and what they are doing (maybe every half hour or hour while watching these shows), and if I'm doing anything that would strain them and if they feel tight. Maybe I can do my gentle stretching from time to time. I know that I am the type of person who probably should be careful.

Carole C

Rebecca C. on 9/05/02 at 21:23 (094574)

Oh my gosh! I just realized reading your post that my PF began last Sept too. I do believe that stress is a huge factor in allot of different medical related problems. Thanks for the heads up.
Rebecca C.

Necee on 9/03/02 at 22:28 (094413)

A very good point Carole, yes I'm sure tensions are mounting once again. It's hard to imagine that its been almost a year since that tragic day.

Happy trails...

Necee

wendyn on 9/03/02 at 23:37 (094414)

Carole, I think that almost all of us have come to the realization that stress makes all kinds of physical problems worse. A very good reminder.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/04/02 at 06:34 (094420)

Stress does seem to affect my PF. Still, no amount of tears or sadness will change what happened.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/04/02 at 19:15 (094476)

You have some good thoughts here, Carole. Thanks for reminding us what stress can do.

My principal plans to have us go outside and form a circle around the flagpole at school next Wednesday and sing 2 or 3 patriotic songs. Sometimes to do something in remembrance makes you feel better. We're going to encourage the children to wear red, white, and blue in honor of our country.

Also, in our small community, there will be a service that night with the three churches here meeting together. The huge American flag that was placed on our big bridge last year has been put up again.

As you said, nothing can change what happened, but perhaps we can honor those who helped so heroically during the tragedy and express our honor and esteem for our country.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 9/04/02 at 20:53 (094482)

Last night I spent a few hours surfing the net to read old news stories about it and study those all too familiar photos once more, of the planes actually going into the buildings, the people rushing down the stairs, the faces of the onlookers, the ash covering the city. I need to watch the presentations on television and to grieve some more for those who lost their lives, and for their families and friends whose lives were shattered. Like you, I want to honor those brave firemen and others who gave their lives to try to get others out of there.

There may get to be a point where I tell myself, 'Enough, you can't take more of this tonight'. And then I'll shut the television off for a while for my own good. I'm also going to periodically pay attention to my feet and what they are doing (maybe every half hour or hour while watching these shows), and if I'm doing anything that would strain them and if they feel tight. Maybe I can do my gentle stretching from time to time. I know that I am the type of person who probably should be careful.

Carole C

Rebecca C. on 9/05/02 at 21:23 (094574)

Oh my gosh! I just realized reading your post that my PF began last Sept too. I do believe that stress is a huge factor in allot of different medical related problems. Thanks for the heads up.
Rebecca C.