Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planar fasciitis release

Posted by Ann-Marie on 9/04/02 at 08:27 (094433)

I am having PT release surgery on BOTH feet on Thursday Sept.12,2002... I have Kaiser Insurance but in spite of that I have great faith in my Orthopedic surgeon. But he is not going to remove the spurs because he said that there is a possibility of a heel fracture later.
The surgery will be the conventional type. My main questions to everybody who has had this surgery are:
Just how bad is the pain afterward? How long is recovery usually? How long can I be expected to be out of work? Do most people have physical therapy afterward? How soon? I am nervous, but after over one year of my life on hold having two rounds of cortosone treatments and physical therapy and endless waiting for appointments (three month waits for appointments for first the podiatrist, then the surgeon then another three month wait for the surgery) I am ready to finally (hopefully) get my life back.
Any advice and information will be appreciated GREATLY!!!!
Thank you!
Ann-Marie

Re: Planar fasciitis release

Pauline on 9/04/02 at 11:38 (094439)

Ann-Marie,
I truly hope your surgery is a success. Make sure you discuss with your doctor prior to surgery is the possiblitiy of you developing Lateral Column Syndrome following your P.F. release, and how this condition if it develops would be handled. This is something you need to know before you have surgery. It's a condition that often follows P.F. release surgery leaving the patient with more foot pain. The location of the foot pain may change or additional pain may just be added to the old one, but you definatlely need a heads-up on this one before you go.

Rebecca C. on 9/04/02 at 12:32 (094442)

Hi Ann-Marie,
I'm wondering why you are having both feet done at once? Unless you have someone that can care for you all the time, I think you're going to be in trouble. And considering the possible complications of PF surgery, I wouldn't want to put both my feet at risk. I had an open release done in Jan. of the this year, also at Kaiser, and am currently really suffering. If you really feel that all conservative treatments have failed and there are absolutely no options left, do only one foot at a time.

kay on 9/04/02 at 14:17 (094454)

no way would i do both feet at the same time. it is bad enough with one.
my doc says min. recovery time is 6 months.
for many people it takes longer.
kay

trish e on 9/04/02 at 14:41 (094458)

hi,my name is trish and i had tts/and the fashia done in feb of this year,i wanted to have both feet done at the same time,it's a good thing i didn;t because my surgery did not work,i still have all the same things i had before,i have lost my job because of this,iam not trying to scare you but plan on a long recovery.The pain afterwards wasn,t to bad it hurt,but to be honest with you my foot hurts worse now than right after surgery.I hope you have some one there with you to help you,because you will be non-weight bearing and it was real hard for me just having my left foot done. I wish you the best of luck and just do everything the DR'S tell you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/04/02 at 21:48 (094487)

Ann-Marie:
Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book carefully so that you understand the full scope of treatment for plantar fasciitis. Surgery, performed with the utmost expertise, will only be successful about 50 to 60% of the time. That is the reason why we recommend a full course of conservative treatment before moving forward with surgery.
Ed

Re: I'm not sure this will be GREATLY appreciated

BrianG on 9/04/02 at 22:28 (094490)

Hi Ann Marie,

I'm just wondering why you have 'great faith' in your Orthopedic surgeon? It doesn't sound like he told you anything about your recovery! Personally I don't think I'd have great faith, sounds more like 'Blind faith'!! Before you have this done, ask your doctor all of these exact same questions. If your not satisfied with the answers, reconsider. If he tells you the pain will be minimal, and you'll be up and walking in a week or two, RUN !!!! Time for a litle research, I think your very lucky to check in here, before you had the surgery. You may not think so right now, but you could be setting yourself up for a life time of severe, chronic pain. Yes, your pain can get much worse!

Sorry, I don't want to scare you. Take some time and read back on this forum, I think it'll open your eyes!! There is an awful lot of misery documented here. I'd hate to have you add your story.

Regards
BrianG

Julie on 9/05/02 at 02:25 (094504)

Ann-Marie, I'd like to add my two cents to what the others have said. Please follow the advice you've been given to read the heel pain book. It will make you aware that there are many conservative treatments for plantar fasciitis that you have not tried, and it may encourage you to put the surgery on hold. I know it would be a difficult decision to make, having come so far and got so close (next week!) but I hope you will do it.

From what you've told us, you have by no means come to the end of the road of conservative treatments. There is much more that can be done.

Your orthopaedic surgeon, whether or not your faith in him is justified (and I'm inclined to agree with Brian that it may be misplaced) may not be the right doctor for you. Surgeons do surgery: he is doing what he knows how to do. But it doesn't sound as though he has much expertise in treating PF. And once you have been cut, there is no going back.

A podiatrist, who can help you put together a sensible package of conservative treatments targetted at the cause of your PF, is the kind of doctor you should consult. Meanwhile, the heel pain book will give you information about self-treatment. Taping (to rest the fascia and give it a chance to heal), icing (to reduce inflammation) always wearing good, stable, supportive shoes, never going barefoot (which puts additional stress on the fascia) and custom orthotics if there is a biomechanical problem such as over-pronation at the root of your condition, are just a few.

Conservative treatment is successful in the vast majority of cases. But if it fails in your case, there is still ESWT, a non-invasive and generally effective treatment, to be considered before surgery.

Please consider what everyone here has said, and don't do surgery just yet. And keep posting here. You'll get information and support from fellow-sufferers, and you can keep us posted as to how you get on.

Joe S on 9/05/02 at 23:45 (094584)

Personally, I think there is a bit of negligence in doing both feet at one time. That is almost unheard of.

Ann-Marie on 9/06/02 at 08:57 (094598)

I have talked to at least five people who have had this procedure and all had both feet done at the same time... most said they were glad they did because if they had only done one at a time, would not have gone back for the second surgery due to the amount of pain!

Julie on 9/06/02 at 09:49 (094607)

Ann-Marie, doesn't what your five friends said make you stop and think about whether surgery is a good option (whether on one foot or both, and I agree with those who have cautioned against having both done at the same time)?

kay on 9/06/02 at 13:28 (094623)

do you have someone who can be with you 24/7 for a three or more weeks? help you get on and off the toilet? get you in and out of the tub? there isn't a lot you can do without either foot. it was very hard for me with one foot.
kat

Janet C on 9/06/02 at 15:46 (094627)

Ann-Marie,

In '98, I had a TT Release w/PF on both feet at the same time... because I had a family member paying cash for my surgery, and it was much cheaper paying just once for the Anesthesiologist, OR costs, etc.

I'm not sure if my results would have been much different if I had just one foot done at a time... (although perhaps I wouldn't have had the other foot done?) ...but, I never recovered. I am MUCH worse today than I was prior to that operation. I now have RSD, which is an extremely painful, permanent nerve disorder, that spreads.

Even if your results are not as bad as mine, I can tell you first-hand, that what you've been advised here is true... and it is really hard just going to the bathroom, when you can't stand on either foot. I crawled for the first week, but it's nearly impossible to even get your rear end up to the commode without putting SOME weight on your feet! (Please excuse the graphic details! But you should think this through!)

And I believe that when you have surgery on both of your feet, you tend to push yourself too soon to begin walking again, and your feet really won't get the proper amount of healing time that is best, for their full, complete recovery. Foot surgery isn't like other surgeries.

After going through this, I really believe that I made a huge mistake having surgery on both of my feet at the same time. You've received a lot of good advice here... please go back, and look through all the posts from pepole who didn't find out the true statistics until it was too late.

Please think about it a little more... they're YOUR feet, and it's YOUR life... and it's not too late to reconsider your choice. I would hate to see you become another victim of this botched-PF-surgery nightmare.

With best wishes ~ Janet

Re: Amen (eom)

wendyn on 9/06/02 at 18:18 (094630)

eom

BrianG on 9/06/02 at 22:46 (094666)

Hi Janet,

I'm always amazed when you tell your story. I know that your in incredible pain, yet you never seem to be bitter. Whatever your doing, is working. I'm not sure I could go on if I were in your shoes. Best wishes, your an inspiration!!!

BrianG

Re: Janet

Sharon W on 9/07/02 at 08:02 (094673)

Brian,

A agree completely. Janet is terrific!

Sharon

Re: Thank You, Brian!

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 09:45 (094679)

WOW! Thank you Brian! You just made my day!

I just like to devote my time to helping prevent others from making the same mistakes that I have. Helping others gives my life a positive focus.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your kindness!

All the best ~ Janet

Re: Thank You, Sharon! (eom)

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 09:46 (094681)

:-)

Julie on 9/07/02 at 14:24 (094697)

Hi Janet

I've been out all day, and have just come home to find Brian's post and Sharon's. I agree!

I too am always moved when you tell you story. I think you are wonderful. You've used your experience, which has caused you so much pain, to give valuable help to others.

All the best to you

Julie

Re: Thank You, Julie!

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 15:54 (094712)

You have me blushing now! Gosh - Thank You, Julie!

I truly admire all the valuable help that You give to others on this message board, Julie! That you have taken the time to express the same to me, is a huge compliment!

Thank you.

~ Janet

Re: Ann Marie

Pete R on 9/07/02 at 17:06 (094718)

I, too, salute anyone who comes on this site to warn of the dangers of surgery after THEY have had it done.

The surgeon I saw 12 months ago told me I'd walk out after the surgery and be back in work within 5 days. He didn't want to see me again for 8 weeks, yes 8 weeks, after the surgery other than for the nurses to change the dressing etc. He was rude and that put me off him rather than what he was actually saying. I know having discovered this site In April that his advise was poor, bordering on the negligent. I had a close shave. He also wanted to do both feet together.

Please listen to what the others say and at least try ESWT.

Julie on 9/08/02 at 01:04 (094740)

Ann-Marie, time is marching on and it will soon be Thursday. I really hope you have decided to do some more thinking and more research on the surgery question.

Please read very carefully what Janet has told you. She has suffered terribly as a result of surgery.

Tammie is another very unfortunate example of a person whom surgery has failed and is now very disabled. You could do a search on her name and look into her story: PF release, followed by painful complications including TTS (which she may or may not have had before the PF surgery), further surgery, more pain, and now RSD, being treated by a pain management doctor.

I would also advise you to read the current discussion on the ESWT board, titled 'Lateral Column Foot Pain', which will give you another take on why surgery really is the Last Resort.

This has been said before, but let's repeat: it is not the quick fix you hope it will be. It may not be a fix at all. It may lead you down the road to much more serious, disabling problems.

Please think again. Please see a podiatrist and get at least one other opinion. Please try and exhaust all conservative treatments. It's more complicated than going in and getting knocked out and having your feet cut, but it's really is the better option. The pair of feet you have is the only pair you have, and once they're cut, there is no going back.

Dr. Z on 9/08/02 at 08:56 (094749)

Please listen to the doctor/people on this board. Having been in practice for over twenty years I have seen the good the bad the ulgy and having surgery on both feet for pf is ugly. You are cutting a major weight bearing support system. Undergoing a pf release if it does heal properly you have lost your ability to walk

Re: Plantar fasciitis release

Joe S on 9/08/02 at 10:53 (094756)

Personally, I would NEVER and I mean NEVER do a bilateral plantar fascial release on the same day. The post op headaches would far outweigh any benefit. I've seen it before. People blow out their sutures, get infected so on and so forth. You're asking for trouble by doing both at the same time unless you have someone to literally take care of. How are you going to get around? I'd recommend a wheelchair if you were my patient. You do not want to take the chance of the incisions opening up. If you are overweight and think that your feet / incisions will tolerate you putting some weight on them immediately postoperatively then you are saddenly mistaken. I feel as probably many others on this board that bilateral procedures (both at the same time) is not a good idea. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

trish e on 9/10/02 at 10:14 (094898)

hello for whats its worth i had just one foot done 7 months ago and i just returned from pain clinic because i have greater pain now than before the surgery,now i have to have possible re-operation to correct nerve things in my foot please just take the adise from ppl who had just one foot done.good luck to you with what ever dicision you decide.

J. King on 9/17/02 at 13:13 (095537)

I would say that if you have any bad feelings about a surgery to pay attention to those feelings. Having surgery on both feet at the same time blows my mind. I had surgery on one wrist and that was bad enough. Brian and the other posters are right about this. Probably too late now but I say to slow down and think about it.

Re: PF surgery and RSD

Kathleen W. on 10/03/02 at 00:21 (096769)

Janet and everyone,
I'm Kathleen and I had PF surgery in Dec. 2000, on just my right foot. It's now Oct. of 2002 and I don't understand how anyone could have had surgery on both feet at the same time! OMG, that would have put me in a wheel chair now for sure. The surgery did NOT go good at all and I developed a disease in my right ankle from it, called RSD--Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Somehow in the surgery, the nerve in my ankle was injured and has caused me absolutley nothing but heartache and massive pain!!! I have been on medical leave from work for 15 months off and on since the surgery. RSD has no cure and no one is told of what could happen after surgery. I ask that everyone check out what could possibly go wrong after ANY surgery they have. I don't have any statistics right now, but many people develop RSD after surgery. There are many websites out there that tell about it, unfortunately, I am one of their statistics.
I played softball all my life until the summer of 2000 and am 34 years old. I am glad someone sent this to me so I can warn everyone what happened to me, can happen to anyone. RSD is not well-known, but now, maybe I spread the word a little bit so you can check into it. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain a little about what happened to me! Don't ever be afraid to ask your doctors ANYTHING!!!! Thank you, Kathleen.

Pauline on 9/04/02 at 11:38 (094439)

Ann-Marie,
I truly hope your surgery is a success. Make sure you discuss with your doctor prior to surgery is the possiblitiy of you developing Lateral Column Syndrome following your P.F. release, and how this condition if it develops would be handled. This is something you need to know before you have surgery. It's a condition that often follows P.F. release surgery leaving the patient with more foot pain. The location of the foot pain may change or additional pain may just be added to the old one, but you definatlely need a heads-up on this one before you go.

Rebecca C. on 9/04/02 at 12:32 (094442)

Hi Ann-Marie,
I'm wondering why you are having both feet done at once? Unless you have someone that can care for you all the time, I think you're going to be in trouble. And considering the possible complications of PF surgery, I wouldn't want to put both my feet at risk. I had an open release done in Jan. of the this year, also at Kaiser, and am currently really suffering. If you really feel that all conservative treatments have failed and there are absolutely no options left, do only one foot at a time.

kay on 9/04/02 at 14:17 (094454)

no way would i do both feet at the same time. it is bad enough with one.
my doc says min. recovery time is 6 months.
for many people it takes longer.
kay

trish e on 9/04/02 at 14:41 (094458)

hi,my name is trish and i had tts/and the fashia done in feb of this year,i wanted to have both feet done at the same time,it's a good thing i didn;t because my surgery did not work,i still have all the same things i had before,i have lost my job because of this,iam not trying to scare you but plan on a long recovery.The pain afterwards wasn,t to bad it hurt,but to be honest with you my foot hurts worse now than right after surgery.I hope you have some one there with you to help you,because you will be non-weight bearing and it was real hard for me just having my left foot done. I wish you the best of luck and just do everything the DR'S tell you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/04/02 at 21:48 (094487)

Ann-Marie:
Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book carefully so that you understand the full scope of treatment for plantar fasciitis. Surgery, performed with the utmost expertise, will only be successful about 50 to 60% of the time. That is the reason why we recommend a full course of conservative treatment before moving forward with surgery.
Ed

Re: I'm not sure this will be GREATLY appreciated

BrianG on 9/04/02 at 22:28 (094490)

Hi Ann Marie,

I'm just wondering why you have 'great faith' in your Orthopedic surgeon? It doesn't sound like he told you anything about your recovery! Personally I don't think I'd have great faith, sounds more like 'Blind faith'!! Before you have this done, ask your doctor all of these exact same questions. If your not satisfied with the answers, reconsider. If he tells you the pain will be minimal, and you'll be up and walking in a week or two, RUN !!!! Time for a litle research, I think your very lucky to check in here, before you had the surgery. You may not think so right now, but you could be setting yourself up for a life time of severe, chronic pain. Yes, your pain can get much worse!

Sorry, I don't want to scare you. Take some time and read back on this forum, I think it'll open your eyes!! There is an awful lot of misery documented here. I'd hate to have you add your story.

Regards
BrianG

Julie on 9/05/02 at 02:25 (094504)

Ann-Marie, I'd like to add my two cents to what the others have said. Please follow the advice you've been given to read the heel pain book. It will make you aware that there are many conservative treatments for plantar fasciitis that you have not tried, and it may encourage you to put the surgery on hold. I know it would be a difficult decision to make, having come so far and got so close (next week!) but I hope you will do it.

From what you've told us, you have by no means come to the end of the road of conservative treatments. There is much more that can be done.

Your orthopaedic surgeon, whether or not your faith in him is justified (and I'm inclined to agree with Brian that it may be misplaced) may not be the right doctor for you. Surgeons do surgery: he is doing what he knows how to do. But it doesn't sound as though he has much expertise in treating PF. And once you have been cut, there is no going back.

A podiatrist, who can help you put together a sensible package of conservative treatments targetted at the cause of your PF, is the kind of doctor you should consult. Meanwhile, the heel pain book will give you information about self-treatment. Taping (to rest the fascia and give it a chance to heal), icing (to reduce inflammation) always wearing good, stable, supportive shoes, never going barefoot (which puts additional stress on the fascia) and custom orthotics if there is a biomechanical problem such as over-pronation at the root of your condition, are just a few.

Conservative treatment is successful in the vast majority of cases. But if it fails in your case, there is still ESWT, a non-invasive and generally effective treatment, to be considered before surgery.

Please consider what everyone here has said, and don't do surgery just yet. And keep posting here. You'll get information and support from fellow-sufferers, and you can keep us posted as to how you get on.

Joe S on 9/05/02 at 23:45 (094584)

Personally, I think there is a bit of negligence in doing both feet at one time. That is almost unheard of.

Ann-Marie on 9/06/02 at 08:57 (094598)

I have talked to at least five people who have had this procedure and all had both feet done at the same time... most said they were glad they did because if they had only done one at a time, would not have gone back for the second surgery due to the amount of pain!

Julie on 9/06/02 at 09:49 (094607)

Ann-Marie, doesn't what your five friends said make you stop and think about whether surgery is a good option (whether on one foot or both, and I agree with those who have cautioned against having both done at the same time)?

kay on 9/06/02 at 13:28 (094623)

do you have someone who can be with you 24/7 for a three or more weeks? help you get on and off the toilet? get you in and out of the tub? there isn't a lot you can do without either foot. it was very hard for me with one foot.
kat

Janet C on 9/06/02 at 15:46 (094627)

Ann-Marie,

In '98, I had a TT Release w/PF on both feet at the same time... because I had a family member paying cash for my surgery, and it was much cheaper paying just once for the Anesthesiologist, OR costs, etc.

I'm not sure if my results would have been much different if I had just one foot done at a time... (although perhaps I wouldn't have had the other foot done?) ...but, I never recovered. I am MUCH worse today than I was prior to that operation. I now have RSD, which is an extremely painful, permanent nerve disorder, that spreads.

Even if your results are not as bad as mine, I can tell you first-hand, that what you've been advised here is true... and it is really hard just going to the bathroom, when you can't stand on either foot. I crawled for the first week, but it's nearly impossible to even get your rear end up to the commode without putting SOME weight on your feet! (Please excuse the graphic details! But you should think this through!)

And I believe that when you have surgery on both of your feet, you tend to push yourself too soon to begin walking again, and your feet really won't get the proper amount of healing time that is best, for their full, complete recovery. Foot surgery isn't like other surgeries.

After going through this, I really believe that I made a huge mistake having surgery on both of my feet at the same time. You've received a lot of good advice here... please go back, and look through all the posts from pepole who didn't find out the true statistics until it was too late.

Please think about it a little more... they're YOUR feet, and it's YOUR life... and it's not too late to reconsider your choice. I would hate to see you become another victim of this botched-PF-surgery nightmare.

With best wishes ~ Janet

Re: Amen (eom)

wendyn on 9/06/02 at 18:18 (094630)

eom

BrianG on 9/06/02 at 22:46 (094666)

Hi Janet,

I'm always amazed when you tell your story. I know that your in incredible pain, yet you never seem to be bitter. Whatever your doing, is working. I'm not sure I could go on if I were in your shoes. Best wishes, your an inspiration!!!

BrianG

Re: Janet

Sharon W on 9/07/02 at 08:02 (094673)

Brian,

A agree completely. Janet is terrific!

Sharon

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 09:45 (094679)

WOW! Thank you Brian! You just made my day!

I just like to devote my time to helping prevent others from making the same mistakes that I have. Helping others gives my life a positive focus.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your kindness!

All the best ~ Janet

Re: Thank You, Sharon! (eom)

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 09:46 (094681)

:-)

Julie on 9/07/02 at 14:24 (094697)

Hi Janet

I've been out all day, and have just come home to find Brian's post and Sharon's. I agree!

I too am always moved when you tell you story. I think you are wonderful. You've used your experience, which has caused you so much pain, to give valuable help to others.

All the best to you

Julie

Re: Thank You, Julie!

Janet C on 9/07/02 at 15:54 (094712)

You have me blushing now! Gosh - Thank You, Julie!

I truly admire all the valuable help that You give to others on this message board, Julie! That you have taken the time to express the same to me, is a huge compliment!

Thank you.

~ Janet

Pete R on 9/07/02 at 17:06 (094718)

I, too, salute anyone who comes on this site to warn of the dangers of surgery after THEY have had it done.

The surgeon I saw 12 months ago told me I'd walk out after the surgery and be back in work within 5 days. He didn't want to see me again for 8 weeks, yes 8 weeks, after the surgery other than for the nurses to change the dressing etc. He was rude and that put me off him rather than what he was actually saying. I know having discovered this site In April that his advise was poor, bordering on the negligent. I had a close shave. He also wanted to do both feet together.

Please listen to what the others say and at least try ESWT.

Julie on 9/08/02 at 01:04 (094740)

Ann-Marie, time is marching on and it will soon be Thursday. I really hope you have decided to do some more thinking and more research on the surgery question.

Please read very carefully what Janet has told you. She has suffered terribly as a result of surgery.

Tammie is another very unfortunate example of a person whom surgery has failed and is now very disabled. You could do a search on her name and look into her story: PF release, followed by painful complications including TTS (which she may or may not have had before the PF surgery), further surgery, more pain, and now RSD, being treated by a pain management doctor.

I would also advise you to read the current discussion on the ESWT board, titled 'Lateral Column Foot Pain', which will give you another take on why surgery really is the Last Resort.

This has been said before, but let's repeat: it is not the quick fix you hope it will be. It may not be a fix at all. It may lead you down the road to much more serious, disabling problems.

Please think again. Please see a podiatrist and get at least one other opinion. Please try and exhaust all conservative treatments. It's more complicated than going in and getting knocked out and having your feet cut, but it's really is the better option. The pair of feet you have is the only pair you have, and once they're cut, there is no going back.

Dr. Z on 9/08/02 at 08:56 (094749)

Please listen to the doctor/people on this board. Having been in practice for over twenty years I have seen the good the bad the ulgy and having surgery on both feet for pf is ugly. You are cutting a major weight bearing support system. Undergoing a pf release if it does heal properly you have lost your ability to walk

Joe S on 9/08/02 at 10:53 (094756)

Personally, I would NEVER and I mean NEVER do a bilateral plantar fascial release on the same day. The post op headaches would far outweigh any benefit. I've seen it before. People blow out their sutures, get infected so on and so forth. You're asking for trouble by doing both at the same time unless you have someone to literally take care of. How are you going to get around? I'd recommend a wheelchair if you were my patient. You do not want to take the chance of the incisions opening up. If you are overweight and think that your feet / incisions will tolerate you putting some weight on them immediately postoperatively then you are saddenly mistaken. I feel as probably many others on this board that bilateral procedures (both at the same time) is not a good idea. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

trish e on 9/10/02 at 10:14 (094898)

hello for whats its worth i had just one foot done 7 months ago and i just returned from pain clinic because i have greater pain now than before the surgery,now i have to have possible re-operation to correct nerve things in my foot please just take the adise from ppl who had just one foot done.good luck to you with what ever dicision you decide.

J. King on 9/17/02 at 13:13 (095537)

I would say that if you have any bad feelings about a surgery to pay attention to those feelings. Having surgery on both feet at the same time blows my mind. I had surgery on one wrist and that was bad enough. Brian and the other posters are right about this. Probably too late now but I say to slow down and think about it.

Re: PF surgery and RSD

Kathleen W. on 10/03/02 at 00:21 (096769)

Janet and everyone,
I'm Kathleen and I had PF surgery in Dec. 2000, on just my right foot. It's now Oct. of 2002 and I don't understand how anyone could have had surgery on both feet at the same time! OMG, that would have put me in a wheel chair now for sure. The surgery did NOT go good at all and I developed a disease in my right ankle from it, called RSD--Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Somehow in the surgery, the nerve in my ankle was injured and has caused me absolutley nothing but heartache and massive pain!!! I have been on medical leave from work for 15 months off and on since the surgery. RSD has no cure and no one is told of what could happen after surgery. I ask that everyone check out what could possibly go wrong after ANY surgery they have. I don't have any statistics right now, but many people develop RSD after surgery. There are many websites out there that tell about it, unfortunately, I am one of their statistics.
I played softball all my life until the summer of 2000 and am 34 years old. I am glad someone sent this to me so I can warn everyone what happened to me, can happen to anyone. RSD is not well-known, but now, maybe I spread the word a little bit so you can check into it. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain a little about what happened to me! Don't ever be afraid to ask your doctors ANYTHING!!!! Thank you, Kathleen.