Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Jean P on 9/04/02 at 13:16 (094445)

Hello and Thank you.

I am 50 years old and have been a 'weekend warrior' modern dancer for 30 years. Last year in class while we were stretching I got a pain on the medial part of my heel that felt like something popped or over-stretched. I think it happened after I started a running program with new shoes. Anyway, it does not hurt much when I first get up in the morning but does hurt later in the day after my normal activities. Most folks report morning pain so I think my heel condition may not be facitis. I do not want to stop running or dancing (modern ancers are barefoot dancers). Running has helped me to lose 15 pounds and dancing keeps my soul tuned. My HMO GP doctor says it is probably plantar facitis and said to stop running and dancing. HA! If I do that I will have all kinds of other health and mental problems.

I bought Dr. Scholls arch supports for my running and aerobic shoes. I am thinking of getting the power supports everyone recommends.

Anything you can tell me on how to proceed is appreciated.

Re: heel pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 9/04/02 at 13:49 (094449)

Hi Jean:

Why don't you request to have an MRI taken of the foot to see if there is a tear or if the plantar fascia is strained.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Julie on 9/04/02 at 14:46 (094459)

Jean, if it is PF, and you don't stop running and dancing for now, until it has healed, you are in for more problems than you can now imagine.

Read the heel pain book.

J. King on 9/04/02 at 15:21 (094464)

Julie

You got that right! If you really aggravate the PF Jean won't have to worry about dancing. She will have to worry about walking. No offense Jean, but this is true! Your biggest adventure will be going to the supermarket and standing in line. Ouch!

John K

Jean P on 9/09/02 at 11:36 (094821)

Thanks everyone for the input. I am asking my DR. for an MRI to see if the PF is torn or strained. I started taking all the online advice and it seems to be helping. It is truly wonderful to get this information so fast from very knowledgeable sources.
I feel empowered!!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 9/04/02 at 13:49 (094449)

Hi Jean:

Why don't you request to have an MRI taken of the foot to see if there is a tear or if the plantar fascia is strained.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Julie on 9/04/02 at 14:46 (094459)

Jean, if it is PF, and you don't stop running and dancing for now, until it has healed, you are in for more problems than you can now imagine.

Read the heel pain book.

J. King on 9/04/02 at 15:21 (094464)

Julie

You got that right! If you really aggravate the PF Jean won't have to worry about dancing. She will have to worry about walking. No offense Jean, but this is true! Your biggest adventure will be going to the supermarket and standing in line. Ouch!

John K

Jean P on 9/09/02 at 11:36 (094821)

Thanks everyone for the input. I am asking my DR. for an MRI to see if the PF is torn or strained. I started taking all the online advice and it seems to be helping. It is truly wonderful to get this information so fast from very knowledgeable sources.
I feel empowered!!!