Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery didn't help..heelspurs have returned

Posted by Rebecca C. on 9/05/02 at 21:19 (094570)

Hi all, hope you are pain free today. I went to my Orthopedic (who did my surgeries) he confirmed heelspurs returned. Has anyone ever heard of having surgery and then it happens all over again??
Both my doc and myself have no idea why they have returned. All I know is I am in pain. He gave me Darvacet and said we could try PT and Ultra sound. Which I begin Monday the 9th. He said all he has to offer if that was no help were referring to a Foot doc for Orthotics.
I do not blame my doc in anyway for their return. He did all he could to help me and strcikly by the book. He's been very good to me and HE feels terrible the surgery did not work. He also mentioned the return of spurs..has been told could be early signs of Rumatoid Arthritis. Anyone hear of this? I am still icing, stretching, wearing shoe inserts, heel cups, the whole nine yards. I just feel so bad. I have really taken an aggressive part in my own recovery. Diet, excercise, new shoes, etc. I'm determined to not let this get me down. Thanks for putting up with me and thanks to all of you for your support. I told my doc he just had to visit here and see all the wonderful people and info. I'm gonna hang in there and yall do too!
Rebecca C.

Re: Surgery didn't help..heelspurs have returned

Necee on 9/06/02 at 00:32 (094585)

I'm sorry that your surgery didn't work Rebecca, how long has it been? Maybe you just need to give it more time. What type of surgery did you have?
I know that it can be very frustrating, but you sound like you're remaining positive, that's a must if you're ever going to kick this PF.
I have tried just about everything, and in my situation, time, wearing the proper shoes, and taking anti-inflammatory medication were essential in my recovery...don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% just yet, but I'm on the right road. For those of us with PF, recovery doesn't happen overnight, it takes months even years to get back to normal. Once you get heelspurs you will always have them, at least thats what I've been told, some have them and never have any pain, it's the inflammation that's causing the pain, so if you can reduce it then your pain will decrease.
I hope that you continue to be aggressive in your recovery efforts, read everything that you can, wear good support shoes, and rest as much as possible. We are here for eachother, so don't hesitate to ask questions.
I know that I'm leaving a lot of things out, but some of our friends here will add their knowledge and experiences.

Happy trails to you......

Necee

Janet C on 9/06/02 at 20:40 (094644)

Rebecca,

I learned too late that the actual heel spurs are usually not the cause of the pain. (Although I was told mine were the hugest the Dr. at USC Med Ctr had ever seen, and they felt like they were going to come drilling their way through the soles of feet one day!)

I have come to understand (in my limited knowledge) that the heel spurs are just calcification that occurs when the PF has ripped away from the heel bone. In a sense, your body is filling in the gap that was created by the torn PF, by growing the heel spurs in its place.

When you come to understand this, then it comes as no surprise that removing the heel spurs doesn't actually solve the underlying problem. And so - often, the heel spurs grow right back again!

I'm just surprised that your Dr. doesn't understand this basic foot structure phenomenon.

I hope that this has helped to explain it... hopefully, a Dr. (or someone with more medical knowledge than I) will be along shortly, to explain it further.

With best wishes ~ Janet

Necee on 9/06/02 at 00:32 (094585)

I'm sorry that your surgery didn't work Rebecca, how long has it been? Maybe you just need to give it more time. What type of surgery did you have?
I know that it can be very frustrating, but you sound like you're remaining positive, that's a must if you're ever going to kick this PF.
I have tried just about everything, and in my situation, time, wearing the proper shoes, and taking anti-inflammatory medication were essential in my recovery...don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% just yet, but I'm on the right road. For those of us with PF, recovery doesn't happen overnight, it takes months even years to get back to normal. Once you get heelspurs you will always have them, at least thats what I've been told, some have them and never have any pain, it's the inflammation that's causing the pain, so if you can reduce it then your pain will decrease.
I hope that you continue to be aggressive in your recovery efforts, read everything that you can, wear good support shoes, and rest as much as possible. We are here for eachother, so don't hesitate to ask questions.
I know that I'm leaving a lot of things out, but some of our friends here will add their knowledge and experiences.

Happy trails to you......

Necee

Janet C on 9/06/02 at 20:40 (094644)

Rebecca,

I learned too late that the actual heel spurs are usually not the cause of the pain. (Although I was told mine were the hugest the Dr. at USC Med Ctr had ever seen, and they felt like they were going to come drilling their way through the soles of feet one day!)

I have come to understand (in my limited knowledge) that the heel spurs are just calcification that occurs when the PF has ripped away from the heel bone. In a sense, your body is filling in the gap that was created by the torn PF, by growing the heel spurs in its place.

When you come to understand this, then it comes as no surprise that removing the heel spurs doesn't actually solve the underlying problem. And so - often, the heel spurs grow right back again!

I'm just surprised that your Dr. doesn't understand this basic foot structure phenomenon.

I hope that this has helped to explain it... hopefully, a Dr. (or someone with more medical knowledge than I) will be along shortly, to explain it further.

With best wishes ~ Janet