Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question about recovery

Posted by kay on 9/06/02 at 13:40 (094625)

its been 11 weeks since my tt, pf partial release surgery.
i seen the doc yesterday. i told him i noticed much improvement in the last 4 weeks. still lots of pain after being on feet for and hour or two.

the only thing he said is to keep massaging the scar and he gave me a slip to return to work with restrictions! the restrictions were to sit 70% of the time. i figured that would have me standing 18 minutes each hour working in a fast paced factory.
my company will not honor restrictions so they keep me on sick leave until i can return to work without restrictions.
my question is this. do you all think this is too soon to return? i know if i had to go back to work and stand even for 18 minutes for 8 hours i would be in lots of pain and wouldn't be able to do anything by the time i got home.
kat

Re: question about recovery

Julie on 9/06/02 at 15:06 (094626)

Kay, if you know you would be in a lot of pain, then it's much too soon. Stay off work for as long as you can.

Missy B on 9/06/02 at 20:40 (094643)

Kay,
Remember the golden rule of foot surgery - LISTEN TO YOUR FOOT. It is the best indicator of how your recovery is doing.

Obviously your doctor does not think you are ready to stand all day on your foot. If you cannot spend a lot of the day at home up on your foot and you cannot sit to do your job, you probably should wait a few more weeks. If you have enough sick time and your company is ok with giving you some more time off without jepordizing your job, then I would take the additional time. It is great that you are starting to see significant improvement - I hope you can spend a few more weeks working on increasing the amount of time you spend on your foot. At this point, you do not want to do anything that might cause a setback.

Your foot may get sore and tired during the first few weeks back, so make sure you are ready. If you have a set work station and stand in one place a lot, if your employer does not have rubber mats to stand on, you might consider purchasing one and taking it to work if they will let you. It is better than standing on concrete hour after hour. One about the size of an extra-large welcome mat worked for me and I could easily move it from place to place in the lab.

Keep up the good work in your reovery and keep us posted.

Missy B.

kay on 9/07/02 at 07:17 (094671)

julie i was wanting to stay off as long as possible.........money is getting short and i keep thinking , yikes, christmas is coming. lol

missy or for that matter anyone else. what pain relievers do you all take after returning to work? i was up and around yesterday more than i have been since my surgery and i woke this morning with stiffness clear up my calf. i suppose that is my body getting broke in. lol
i plan add a little each week so i won't be pushing but i will be getting used to being on it more. no one can say i've rushed things. my foots been up for weeks. i've let everything go to baby it for all this time. now its time to try my wings. just gliding at first.
about returning to work.........i am worried if i do ......how will i know if its too much and should i call the doc for more time off. i'd love to go back next month as i see the doc on the 3rd of october but i really don't see that happening. what's is the average on returning after tt and partial release pf? i work in a factory. how long i mean?
kay

Re: pain relievers

Missy B on 9/07/02 at 21:34 (094728)

Hi Kay,

Actually, you may find yourself ready to return to work in another month. Now that you are beginning to see improvement, as long as you don't overdo it, you may be surprised at how quickly your recovery will progress. Adding an extra 5 or 10 minutes up on the foot several times a day should help keep your leg muscles limber. Also try massaging your calf muscles while you are resting. If you are using BIOFREEZE, massage some into your calves - or any other theraputic rub for sore muscles.

Do you have a night splint? After I was walking in a regular shoe or sandal, I started sleeping again with my night splint on my foot. I did this for about the next 3 1/2 months, and this kept my muscles and ligaments in my foot and calf stretched at night, so they did not tighten up. This really helped me. Although I do not use it regularly now, if I have had a particularly long day on my feet, I will put it on that night so my leg and foot does not cramp up.

If you don't live too far from your grocery store, you might also try what I did. Once I was walking pretty good, every day for a week, I drove to the store to pick up a few things. This helped to build strength and stretch muscles and got me use to walking on a surface other than my carpeting.

As for pain medicine, my doctor prescribed Celebrex but it did not work for me, so he put me on 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for the first 3 weeks I was back to work full time. I gradually decreased the dose over the next 2 weeks until I only took 2 each morning after my first coffee break. Ibuprofen does not bother my stomach, so I did very well on it, and it really helped get me thru the first few weeks with just minimal discomfort. Of course, you should check with your doctor before taking any pain meds on a regular basis - you have to be sure they do not interfere with other medications you might be on or other medical conditions you might have.

Would your supervisor at work consider letting you come back 2 or 3 days a week for the first week or two - working MWF or TTh for a week or two would ease you back into your routine and give you a day off after each work day to rest the foot.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing. It sounds like you are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel - even if it is a few foot miles away yet.

Missy B.

kay on 9/08/02 at 09:31 (094750)

oh missy i'd love to go back a few days a week at first and build up to full time but i work in a factory with 800 employees. the companys standard answer is 'if we do it for you we'd have to do it for everyone' and i do understand that.
is biofreeze like bengay? i noticed that my calf muscles are tight. i was in a cast for 9 weeks before the surgery. and then all that time off after the surgery so my muscles in my whole body are sore now that i am starting to use them. i am sure my fibro diagnosis is not helping. but for the most part i try to ignore that diagnosis, not dwelling on it helps.
kay

Re: Biofreeze

Missy B on 9/08/02 at 16:41 (094769)

Hi Kay,
Yes, Biofreeze is a pain reliever like Bengay. I have never seen it in the stores - I buy mine from my Pod and several chiropracters in my area also sell it. A few people who post here have bought it off the internet. It comes in a gel, lotion, roll-on, or ointment. I use the gel - on my feet, my incision, and also lower back, shoulder, or anywhere else that I strain a muscle or arthritis is bothering me. It seems to work better than other rubs for me, but may not for others.

I hope you continue to progress in your recovery and hopefully return to work in the near future. Stay in touch with us.

Missy B.

trish e on 9/09/02 at 10:49 (094818)

i have been off 7 months on the 26th of this month do not return if you are returning to keep your job,you first job second.i still can't stand on mine more than a few hours without severe pain.

Linda on 9/24/02 at 05:02 (096079)

I would just like to tell you, It has been 10 monts since i had pf release,tarsal tunnel release,and spur removal, and i am still dealing with pain. I get pain after 15 minutes on my feet. I have been in physical therapy for the 3rd time now. This time it seems to be helping, but recovery is different for every individual. Don't rush your recovery, i think you will just pay for it in the end.

Julie on 9/06/02 at 15:06 (094626)

Kay, if you know you would be in a lot of pain, then it's much too soon. Stay off work for as long as you can.

Missy B on 9/06/02 at 20:40 (094643)

Kay,
Remember the golden rule of foot surgery - LISTEN TO YOUR FOOT. It is the best indicator of how your recovery is doing.

Obviously your doctor does not think you are ready to stand all day on your foot. If you cannot spend a lot of the day at home up on your foot and you cannot sit to do your job, you probably should wait a few more weeks. If you have enough sick time and your company is ok with giving you some more time off without jepordizing your job, then I would take the additional time. It is great that you are starting to see significant improvement - I hope you can spend a few more weeks working on increasing the amount of time you spend on your foot. At this point, you do not want to do anything that might cause a setback.

Your foot may get sore and tired during the first few weeks back, so make sure you are ready. If you have a set work station and stand in one place a lot, if your employer does not have rubber mats to stand on, you might consider purchasing one and taking it to work if they will let you. It is better than standing on concrete hour after hour. One about the size of an extra-large welcome mat worked for me and I could easily move it from place to place in the lab.

Keep up the good work in your reovery and keep us posted.

Missy B.

kay on 9/07/02 at 07:17 (094671)

julie i was wanting to stay off as long as possible.........money is getting short and i keep thinking , yikes, christmas is coming. lol

missy or for that matter anyone else. what pain relievers do you all take after returning to work? i was up and around yesterday more than i have been since my surgery and i woke this morning with stiffness clear up my calf. i suppose that is my body getting broke in. lol
i plan add a little each week so i won't be pushing but i will be getting used to being on it more. no one can say i've rushed things. my foots been up for weeks. i've let everything go to baby it for all this time. now its time to try my wings. just gliding at first.
about returning to work.........i am worried if i do ......how will i know if its too much and should i call the doc for more time off. i'd love to go back next month as i see the doc on the 3rd of october but i really don't see that happening. what's is the average on returning after tt and partial release pf? i work in a factory. how long i mean?
kay

Missy B on 9/07/02 at 21:34 (094728)

Hi Kay,

Actually, you may find yourself ready to return to work in another month. Now that you are beginning to see improvement, as long as you don't overdo it, you may be surprised at how quickly your recovery will progress. Adding an extra 5 or 10 minutes up on the foot several times a day should help keep your leg muscles limber. Also try massaging your calf muscles while you are resting. If you are using BIOFREEZE, massage some into your calves - or any other theraputic rub for sore muscles.

Do you have a night splint? After I was walking in a regular shoe or sandal, I started sleeping again with my night splint on my foot. I did this for about the next 3 1/2 months, and this kept my muscles and ligaments in my foot and calf stretched at night, so they did not tighten up. This really helped me. Although I do not use it regularly now, if I have had a particularly long day on my feet, I will put it on that night so my leg and foot does not cramp up.

If you don't live too far from your grocery store, you might also try what I did. Once I was walking pretty good, every day for a week, I drove to the store to pick up a few things. This helped to build strength and stretch muscles and got me use to walking on a surface other than my carpeting.

As for pain medicine, my doctor prescribed Celebrex but it did not work for me, so he put me on 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for the first 3 weeks I was back to work full time. I gradually decreased the dose over the next 2 weeks until I only took 2 each morning after my first coffee break. Ibuprofen does not bother my stomach, so I did very well on it, and it really helped get me thru the first few weeks with just minimal discomfort. Of course, you should check with your doctor before taking any pain meds on a regular basis - you have to be sure they do not interfere with other medications you might be on or other medical conditions you might have.

Would your supervisor at work consider letting you come back 2 or 3 days a week for the first week or two - working MWF or TTh for a week or two would ease you back into your routine and give you a day off after each work day to rest the foot.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing. It sounds like you are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel - even if it is a few foot miles away yet.

Missy B.

kay on 9/08/02 at 09:31 (094750)

oh missy i'd love to go back a few days a week at first and build up to full time but i work in a factory with 800 employees. the companys standard answer is 'if we do it for you we'd have to do it for everyone' and i do understand that.
is biofreeze like bengay? i noticed that my calf muscles are tight. i was in a cast for 9 weeks before the surgery. and then all that time off after the surgery so my muscles in my whole body are sore now that i am starting to use them. i am sure my fibro diagnosis is not helping. but for the most part i try to ignore that diagnosis, not dwelling on it helps.
kay

Re: Biofreeze

Missy B on 9/08/02 at 16:41 (094769)

Hi Kay,
Yes, Biofreeze is a pain reliever like Bengay. I have never seen it in the stores - I buy mine from my Pod and several chiropracters in my area also sell it. A few people who post here have bought it off the internet. It comes in a gel, lotion, roll-on, or ointment. I use the gel - on my feet, my incision, and also lower back, shoulder, or anywhere else that I strain a muscle or arthritis is bothering me. It seems to work better than other rubs for me, but may not for others.

I hope you continue to progress in your recovery and hopefully return to work in the near future. Stay in touch with us.

Missy B.

trish e on 9/09/02 at 10:49 (094818)

i have been off 7 months on the 26th of this month do not return if you are returning to keep your job,you first job second.i still can't stand on mine more than a few hours without severe pain.

Linda on 9/24/02 at 05:02 (096079)

I would just like to tell you, It has been 10 monts since i had pf release,tarsal tunnel release,and spur removal, and i am still dealing with pain. I get pain after 15 minutes on my feet. I have been in physical therapy for the 3rd time now. This time it seems to be helping, but recovery is different for every individual. Don't rush your recovery, i think you will just pay for it in the end.