Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF cause of hip pain??

Posted by Cary S on 9/07/02 at 22:19 (094733)

Has anyone out there in PF land had PF for an extended period of time, and had it cause pain in your hips. I've been told I have arthritis in my hips, left one worse. And I also have really bad PF in my left foot too. Has anyone had a hip replaced and it cleared up foot problems on that side. Thanks for responding with any insights you might have.

Re: PF cause of hip pain??

adrienne on 9/08/02 at 01:51 (094743)

Im not a doctor, but I have foot,hip,and back pain, and they are all related. When something is hurting, it makes you walk,stand, and do everything a little different, even if it doesn't feel like we are.

Re: PF cause of hip pain and pains everywhere else

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:07 (094758)

Although prior to having PF I would sometimes wake in the mornings with stiffness in the back and chest, apart from that there was nothing at all wrong with me.

Since February when I first started getting pain in my right heel, I've had pain in the right foot, left foot, left ankle, right elbow, wrists, right knee and the back pain and chest stiffness has got a lot worse.

I don't know if I've got any sort of arthritis problems. All bloodtests that have come back are normal and x-rays are normal, or whether the PF have caused these extra problems.

I suppose I'll never know.

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:08 (094759)

Oh, I forgot. Right elbow pain as well.

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:30 (094760)

Oops. I said right elbow in the original message. My brains going as well. lol

Cary S on 9/08/02 at 11:44 (094761)

I am interested in anyone who specifically has had a direct connection between PF in a foot, and the hip on the same side. This could mean that when the PF cleared up your hip problems disappeared. Or that after hip surgery, (hip joint replacement), that your problem foot cleared up.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/08/02 at 13:08 (094764)

Nope, I have had problems in my left hip for ten years (probably osteoarthritis), and although my PF started on that side in a few weeks it became bilateral. Now it's mostly gone. My left hip remains painful and I can see no relationship whatsoever in my case.

My hip was no more and no less painful during PF than at other times, if you take into account the fact that I was not walking so much when my PF was at its worst.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 9/08/02 at 20:27 (094775)

I've had P.F. for 3 yrs and just developed hip pain. I still can't figure out what's causing it, but it's on the same side as my bad foot. I had never had hip pain before getting P.F. but I don't know if the two are related or not.
Ellen

Jean H. P. on 9/08/02 at 21:35 (094785)

Try cranial sacral therapy. A really good PT can do it or a massage therapist. http://www . upledger.com has a list of practitioners.

Pauline on 9/08/02 at 22:37 (094790)

Cary,
All I can tell you is the three times I've had P.F. my hips were affected.
In my case it came because I two things. (1) favoring the foot that got P.F. first and then favoring or (walking differently) when I got it bilaterally and (2) from the three pairs of custom orthotics I tried. Wearing them put extra pressure on the entire outside of my legs causing not only a great deal of hip pain, but knee pain as well not to mention fanning the flames of my P.F.

I eventually gave up on the orthotics, bagged them and started taping, using the Jade Cream which brought me great relief and which I wouldn't be without and good old Dr. Scholls running shoe blue liners. I forget their exact name, but they are not an orthotic.

Each time I've had P.F. it has gone away in aprox 2-2 1/2 years by using only conservative measures. I have not had any surgery, wouldn't ever allow it and no ESWT.

The one think I notice is that I have a long period of extreme inflammation and because I cannot use any anti-inflammatories it must take longer for my body to get rid of of it. Once it starts to go down the healing begins to take place. Because I don't work I have an extreme advantage and that is I can and do stay off my feet. I think it really makes a difference but 2 1/2 years is a long time when your trying to get rid of pain.

Julie on 9/09/02 at 02:13 (094795)

The body is an integrated whole: nothing happens to any part of it in isolation from the rest. The lower extremity is a continuuum - foot, ankle, knee, hip. Trauma to any of these structures can affect any or all of the others. The lower back is also involved. So Ellen, if you've been favouring your PF foot for three years, actually limping or otherwise adjusting your gait to accommodate it, I don't think it's a coincidence that you've been getting pain in your hip.

There isn't necessarily always a cause-and-effect relationship, but it's probably the first thing to consider. What to do? Minimise the cause. Orthotics, tape, NSAIDs, icing, anything that diminishes the pain that unbalances your walking. Maybe different shoes - a whole ball game in itself. Walking more slowly and carefully, or with shorter strides, or perhaps just walking less.

The inevitable decrease in activity that accompanies PF will affect all the body's joints. Part of the problem may be that your hip has begun to stiffen through lack of your normal accustomed movement. The yoga exercises for the feet that I've shared here are part of a series that works systematically through all the joints. Using them, range of motion can be maintained without ever leaving one's chair.

It might help you to do gentle exercises for the hip to relieve tightness and tension and increase of range of motion. In a chair, thigh parallel to the floor, take the knee out to the side and then back. Hip rotations: hold the knee and draw circles with it. (Work both hips.)

Rachel W. on 9/09/02 at 05:05 (094800)

As I said, its not just the hip.
I've got pain absolutely everywhere. I woke up before 5.00 am this morning with pain in my lower back and found it hard to breathe. I got up but the pain in my feet were, too, unbearable.

If its not one thing its another. The only thing that helped was a strong painkiller then a hot bath.

I'm totally fed up with this. I'm tired through lack of sleep and have no answers to why I'm like this.

Jean H. P. on 9/09/02 at 09:43 (094809)

Have you read Healing Back Pain by John Sarno? He has a newer book out also.

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 18:52 (094851)

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your thoughts and info. I was pain-free while walking (couldn't run or exercise without pain), so I was confused that the walking would be a problem since I thought my gait was normal.
Well, I'll try the hip stretches again and see what happens. I am surprised at how immobile they are!
Ellen

Julie on 9/10/02 at 01:50 (094872)

Hi Ellen

If you were pain-free while walking and if you're sure that your gait was normal, then there may not be a cause-and-effect relationship in that sense. But it's quite possible that if you've been much less active for three years than you were before (no running or other exercise) the hip has lost range of motion. If so, the exercises should help, especially the rotation.

If it doesn't improve and starts causing you increasing pain, it would be a good idea to have it looked at by a practitioner who knows about structure - an osteopath or a chiropractor.

RachelWoolly on 9/10/02 at 05:27 (094876)

I haven't read it but I'll try and look it up and give it a go.

R C on 9/10/02 at 12:05 (094910)

I had PF in my right foot for 2+ years. As a result, I spent a lot more time on my left side than right side, especially while standing. This was especially true when I was on crutches for 10 weeks. The strain on my left hip caused a lasting inflammation to at least three structures that connect to it (one of the rotators, one of the quads, and the IT band). It took 4 weeks of physical therapy and months of my daily heat/stretching/ice routine to get my hip under control.

Looking back, I am glad that there weren't also lasting issues with my wrists, shoulders, lower back and knee -- all of which showed their unhappiness in one way or another.

During the darkest periods of my recuperation, I reminded myself that it ain't rectal cancer. Now that's a dose of perspective.

adrienne on 9/08/02 at 01:51 (094743)

Im not a doctor, but I have foot,hip,and back pain, and they are all related. When something is hurting, it makes you walk,stand, and do everything a little different, even if it doesn't feel like we are.

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:07 (094758)

Although prior to having PF I would sometimes wake in the mornings with stiffness in the back and chest, apart from that there was nothing at all wrong with me.

Since February when I first started getting pain in my right heel, I've had pain in the right foot, left foot, left ankle, right elbow, wrists, right knee and the back pain and chest stiffness has got a lot worse.

I don't know if I've got any sort of arthritis problems. All bloodtests that have come back are normal and x-rays are normal, or whether the PF have caused these extra problems.

I suppose I'll never know.

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:08 (094759)

Oh, I forgot. Right elbow pain as well.

RachelWoolly on 9/08/02 at 11:30 (094760)

Oops. I said right elbow in the original message. My brains going as well. lol

Cary S on 9/08/02 at 11:44 (094761)

I am interested in anyone who specifically has had a direct connection between PF in a foot, and the hip on the same side. This could mean that when the PF cleared up your hip problems disappeared. Or that after hip surgery, (hip joint replacement), that your problem foot cleared up.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/08/02 at 13:08 (094764)

Nope, I have had problems in my left hip for ten years (probably osteoarthritis), and although my PF started on that side in a few weeks it became bilateral. Now it's mostly gone. My left hip remains painful and I can see no relationship whatsoever in my case.

My hip was no more and no less painful during PF than at other times, if you take into account the fact that I was not walking so much when my PF was at its worst.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 9/08/02 at 20:27 (094775)

I've had P.F. for 3 yrs and just developed hip pain. I still can't figure out what's causing it, but it's on the same side as my bad foot. I had never had hip pain before getting P.F. but I don't know if the two are related or not.
Ellen

Jean H. P. on 9/08/02 at 21:35 (094785)

Try cranial sacral therapy. A really good PT can do it or a massage therapist. http://www . upledger.com has a list of practitioners.

Pauline on 9/08/02 at 22:37 (094790)

Cary,
All I can tell you is the three times I've had P.F. my hips were affected.
In my case it came because I two things. (1) favoring the foot that got P.F. first and then favoring or (walking differently) when I got it bilaterally and (2) from the three pairs of custom orthotics I tried. Wearing them put extra pressure on the entire outside of my legs causing not only a great deal of hip pain, but knee pain as well not to mention fanning the flames of my P.F.

I eventually gave up on the orthotics, bagged them and started taping, using the Jade Cream which brought me great relief and which I wouldn't be without and good old Dr. Scholls running shoe blue liners. I forget their exact name, but they are not an orthotic.

Each time I've had P.F. it has gone away in aprox 2-2 1/2 years by using only conservative measures. I have not had any surgery, wouldn't ever allow it and no ESWT.

The one think I notice is that I have a long period of extreme inflammation and because I cannot use any anti-inflammatories it must take longer for my body to get rid of of it. Once it starts to go down the healing begins to take place. Because I don't work I have an extreme advantage and that is I can and do stay off my feet. I think it really makes a difference but 2 1/2 years is a long time when your trying to get rid of pain.

Julie on 9/09/02 at 02:13 (094795)

The body is an integrated whole: nothing happens to any part of it in isolation from the rest. The lower extremity is a continuuum - foot, ankle, knee, hip. Trauma to any of these structures can affect any or all of the others. The lower back is also involved. So Ellen, if you've been favouring your PF foot for three years, actually limping or otherwise adjusting your gait to accommodate it, I don't think it's a coincidence that you've been getting pain in your hip.

There isn't necessarily always a cause-and-effect relationship, but it's probably the first thing to consider. What to do? Minimise the cause. Orthotics, tape, NSAIDs, icing, anything that diminishes the pain that unbalances your walking. Maybe different shoes - a whole ball game in itself. Walking more slowly and carefully, or with shorter strides, or perhaps just walking less.

The inevitable decrease in activity that accompanies PF will affect all the body's joints. Part of the problem may be that your hip has begun to stiffen through lack of your normal accustomed movement. The yoga exercises for the feet that I've shared here are part of a series that works systematically through all the joints. Using them, range of motion can be maintained without ever leaving one's chair.

It might help you to do gentle exercises for the hip to relieve tightness and tension and increase of range of motion. In a chair, thigh parallel to the floor, take the knee out to the side and then back. Hip rotations: hold the knee and draw circles with it. (Work both hips.)

Rachel W. on 9/09/02 at 05:05 (094800)

As I said, its not just the hip.
I've got pain absolutely everywhere. I woke up before 5.00 am this morning with pain in my lower back and found it hard to breathe. I got up but the pain in my feet were, too, unbearable.

If its not one thing its another. The only thing that helped was a strong painkiller then a hot bath.

I'm totally fed up with this. I'm tired through lack of sleep and have no answers to why I'm like this.

Jean H. P. on 9/09/02 at 09:43 (094809)

Have you read Healing Back Pain by John Sarno? He has a newer book out also.

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 18:52 (094851)

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your thoughts and info. I was pain-free while walking (couldn't run or exercise without pain), so I was confused that the walking would be a problem since I thought my gait was normal.
Well, I'll try the hip stretches again and see what happens. I am surprised at how immobile they are!
Ellen

Julie on 9/10/02 at 01:50 (094872)

Hi Ellen

If you were pain-free while walking and if you're sure that your gait was normal, then there may not be a cause-and-effect relationship in that sense. But it's quite possible that if you've been much less active for three years than you were before (no running or other exercise) the hip has lost range of motion. If so, the exercises should help, especially the rotation.

If it doesn't improve and starts causing you increasing pain, it would be a good idea to have it looked at by a practitioner who knows about structure - an osteopath or a chiropractor.

RachelWoolly on 9/10/02 at 05:27 (094876)

I haven't read it but I'll try and look it up and give it a go.

R C on 9/10/02 at 12:05 (094910)

I had PF in my right foot for 2+ years. As a result, I spent a lot more time on my left side than right side, especially while standing. This was especially true when I was on crutches for 10 weeks. The strain on my left hip caused a lasting inflammation to at least three structures that connect to it (one of the rotators, one of the quads, and the IT band). It took 4 weeks of physical therapy and months of my daily heat/stretching/ice routine to get my hip under control.

Looking back, I am glad that there weren't also lasting issues with my wrists, shoulders, lower back and knee -- all of which showed their unhappiness in one way or another.

During the darkest periods of my recuperation, I reminded myself that it ain't rectal cancer. Now that's a dose of perspective.