Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Painful area on side of foot!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Melissa M. on 9/08/02 at 02:10 (094744)

I have a small bump on the side of my foot that hurts like NO other!! It's right next to my pinkie toe on my right foot. It's been progessively getting more painful over the past couple of months, and especially hurts if I hit it against something, or after I've been wearing tennis shoes for a couple of hours. Sometimes it hurts even if I'm wearing flip-flops, where there is barely any pressure being put on it. I'm also starting to feel pain in the same area on my left foot...what could it be??????? Please help!

Re: Painful area on side of foot!!!!!!!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/08/02 at 05:52 (094745)

The first thing you need to do is to see your doctor or podiatrist and get it diagnosed. I am not a doctor but I suspect it's really impossible for any of the doctors here to diagnose it online. It's possible that this is due to plantar fasciitis (PF); I had a lot of pain on the sides of my feet due to PF although not as far forward as my pinkie toe. It sounds like your tennis shoes are making it worse, so while you are waiting for the doctor you might want to avoid wearing them and try to rest your feet.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 19:00 (094852)

Until you get to the doctor, have you tried shoes with a wider toe box area? Saucony makes shoes that tend to be wider there, possibly causing less pressure on the painful area. Also, this sounds like a strange idea, but if you have a comfortable pair of shoes (and you are willing to sacrifice them), you might be able to cut a hole in that area of the shoe to prevent pressure there.
Maybe even just slicing an X shape right there? Just a thought.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 9/08/02 at 05:52 (094745)

The first thing you need to do is to see your doctor or podiatrist and get it diagnosed. I am not a doctor but I suspect it's really impossible for any of the doctors here to diagnose it online. It's possible that this is due to plantar fasciitis (PF); I had a lot of pain on the sides of my feet due to PF although not as far forward as my pinkie toe. It sounds like your tennis shoes are making it worse, so while you are waiting for the doctor you might want to avoid wearing them and try to rest your feet.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 19:00 (094852)

Until you get to the doctor, have you tried shoes with a wider toe box area? Saucony makes shoes that tend to be wider there, possibly causing less pressure on the painful area. Also, this sounds like a strange idea, but if you have a comfortable pair of shoes (and you are willing to sacrifice them), you might be able to cut a hole in that area of the shoe to prevent pressure there.
Maybe even just slicing an X shape right there? Just a thought.
Ellen