Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle bone spur

Posted by diane on 9/08/02 at 16:52 (094770)

I have a bone spur on top of my left ankle. I broke my left tibia 30 years ago and the spur on the ankle may have developed because of this(?) I recently found out that I have borderline osteoporosis on the left hip, and need to be free of pain in the ankle to exercise and build bone mass. I am confused on whether or not to have it removed. It is not hurting now, but does flare up now and then. I friend thinks that it might grow back, or that I may have more problems after surgery. Please advise! Thanks.

Re: ankle bone spur

Dr. Z on 9/08/02 at 20:24 (094774)

If you are having very little pain and the range of motion isn't decreasing then you should wait. You haven't told us what type of excercising you are going to do and if there is any type that causes the bone spur on your ankle to hurt. More then likely running, jumping are going to flare the bone spur . So get an examination and see exactly what the range of motion of your ankle is now

Re: ankle bone spur

Dr. Z on 9/08/02 at 20:24 (094774)

If you are having very little pain and the range of motion isn't decreasing then you should wait. You haven't told us what type of excercising you are going to do and if there is any type that causes the bone spur on your ankle to hurt. More then likely running, jumping are going to flare the bone spur . So get an examination and see exactly what the range of motion of your ankle is now