Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ann-Marie, we care !

Posted by BrianG on 9/08/02 at 21:27 (094783)

Hi Ann-Marie,

Thursday is now only a few days away. I hope you have reconsidered having both heels cut at the same time. If you have read the posts, you'll see numerous people who have had problems and are recommending against it. Also, three doctors have weighed in, and are advising against it.

You may not realize how lucky you are to have found this forum before your surgery. Most patients do not even know that Heelspurs.com even exists. They end up looking for it / help after the fact, when the damage has already been done. You are in a unique position here. Please listen to the people who have been through it, and the doctors recommending against it. I know the pain is bad, believe me! It can get much worse!!!!!!

I'll be praying that you make the right decision.

BrianG

Re: Ann-Marie, we care !

Pauline on 9/08/02 at 23:11 (094792)

Ann-Marie,
The final decision is yours alone to make. Often times patients fear calling off a surgery at the last minute. They wonder what the doctor will think of them or will he still continue to treat them etc. etc.

If you do choose to cancel one or both surgeries please know that plenty of other folks have cancelled many a surgery be it for P.F. or other elective surgeries.

You can always stay with the same doctor or if you feel uncomfortable select another. There are plenty of them out there ready to take on another patient and you'll always find someone willing to cut your Plantar Fascia.

So if fear of last minute cancellation is playing any part in your decision my advice to you is to eliminate that fear.

You've heard good advice from other posters and from the doctors here. If you spent any time reading the surgery board you know the complications and empty promises that have become others nightmares.

Make the decision you think is correct for you, but also be prepared to accept the result of that decision your going to make.

Wishing you the best of luck.

P.S. I had a surgeon cancel a major surgery 20 minutes before it was scheduled because of an ice storm was predicted to hit the city. He told me to leave immediately and paid for my flight home. Surgeries get cancelled all the time some by patients, some by doctors usually for good reasons. Don't worry if you decide to cancel one or both your reason will be good enough.

Julie on 9/09/02 at 02:40 (094799)

Good point, Pauline: fear of what the doctor will think must be a common reason for going ahead with surgery.

Ann-Marie, if you do decide, as I hope you will, to wait, you do have a very good reason. Just tell the surgeon that you want more time to think about it and to pursue other avenues of treatment in the hope of avoiding surgery. If he is professional, and reasonable, he will respect your decision and wish you well.

Please keep in touch and let us know what you decide.

trish e on 9/09/02 at 10:46 (094817)

my prayers are with you good luck

Ann-Marie on 9/09/02 at 16:02 (094834)

To ALL of you who have taken the time to write and to care, THANK YOU from the Bottom of my heart!!!
I cannot believe all the support from all of you!
I have been doing a LOT of reading, thinking, and praying and have not as of yet made a final decision. I plan on having a long in-depth discussion with my surgeon when I see him for my pre-op on Wednesday.
Thank you ALL again!
Much Love!!!
Ann-Marie

Re: Best Wishes

BrianG on 9/09/02 at 22:22 (094866)

Don't forget, whatever your decision, we'll be here!

BrianG

Ann-Marie on 9/10/02 at 07:23 (094882)

Thanks Brian!! That means a lot to me...By the way, what brings YOU to heelspurs.com?
Have a great day!
Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie on 9/10/02 at 07:31 (094886)

Thank you Trish, and God Bless you as well!
Ann-Marie

Re: In a nut shell

BrianG on 9/10/02 at 22:17 (094969)

Nine years of chronic pain from PF. One failed EPF surgery, one failed ESWT treatment, unable to work, currently on full Social Security Disability.

I just feel lucky that I did not get TTS, or RSD, from my failed surgery!!! Others here were not so lucky.

BrianG

Pauline on 9/08/02 at 23:11 (094792)

Ann-Marie,
The final decision is yours alone to make. Often times patients fear calling off a surgery at the last minute. They wonder what the doctor will think of them or will he still continue to treat them etc. etc.

If you do choose to cancel one or both surgeries please know that plenty of other folks have cancelled many a surgery be it for P.F. or other elective surgeries.

You can always stay with the same doctor or if you feel uncomfortable select another. There are plenty of them out there ready to take on another patient and you'll always find someone willing to cut your Plantar Fascia.

So if fear of last minute cancellation is playing any part in your decision my advice to you is to eliminate that fear.

You've heard good advice from other posters and from the doctors here. If you spent any time reading the surgery board you know the complications and empty promises that have become others nightmares.

Make the decision you think is correct for you, but also be prepared to accept the result of that decision your going to make.

Wishing you the best of luck.

P.S. I had a surgeon cancel a major surgery 20 minutes before it was scheduled because of an ice storm was predicted to hit the city. He told me to leave immediately and paid for my flight home. Surgeries get cancelled all the time some by patients, some by doctors usually for good reasons. Don't worry if you decide to cancel one or both your reason will be good enough.

Julie on 9/09/02 at 02:40 (094799)

Good point, Pauline: fear of what the doctor will think must be a common reason for going ahead with surgery.

Ann-Marie, if you do decide, as I hope you will, to wait, you do have a very good reason. Just tell the surgeon that you want more time to think about it and to pursue other avenues of treatment in the hope of avoiding surgery. If he is professional, and reasonable, he will respect your decision and wish you well.

Please keep in touch and let us know what you decide.

trish e on 9/09/02 at 10:46 (094817)

my prayers are with you good luck

Ann-Marie on 9/09/02 at 16:02 (094834)

To ALL of you who have taken the time to write and to care, THANK YOU from the Bottom of my heart!!!
I cannot believe all the support from all of you!
I have been doing a LOT of reading, thinking, and praying and have not as of yet made a final decision. I plan on having a long in-depth discussion with my surgeon when I see him for my pre-op on Wednesday.
Thank you ALL again!
Much Love!!!
Ann-Marie

BrianG on 9/09/02 at 22:22 (094866)

Don't forget, whatever your decision, we'll be here!

BrianG

Ann-Marie on 9/10/02 at 07:23 (094882)

Thanks Brian!! That means a lot to me...By the way, what brings YOU to heelspurs.com?
Have a great day!
Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie on 9/10/02 at 07:31 (094886)

Thank you Trish, and God Bless you as well!
Ann-Marie

Re: In a nut shell

BrianG on 9/10/02 at 22:17 (094969)

Nine years of chronic pain from PF. One failed EPF surgery, one failed ESWT treatment, unable to work, currently on full Social Security Disability.

I just feel lucky that I did not get TTS, or RSD, from my failed surgery!!! Others here were not so lucky.

BrianG