Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Long Will the Nightmare Last ???

Posted by Kim R. on 9/09/02 at 10:31 (094813)

I thought I was on the mend. I have an acute case of pf which has plagued me since early June. I have tried everything except invasive procedures including physical therapy, night-splint, custom orthotics, $1000 in new 'good' shoes, no running, no high-heels, ice 2 to 3 times daily, DMSO w/ dexamethasone, iontophoresis with dexamethosone, stretching 3 times or more daily, Vioxx, taping, apple cider vinegar soak, massage and who knows what else. HOW LONG CAN I ANTICIPATE BEING IN PAIN? The only relief I get is the DMSO and dexamethasone but this is temporary. At this stage would you recommend a cortisone shot? Thanks, Kim

Re: How Long Will the Nightmare Last ???

Carmen H on 9/09/02 at 11:29 (094820)

I have had this for 15 months and I have a dear friend who has had it for five years (Dave R.)...everyone is different so there's no telling how long for each person.
Sorry you are having a hard time..I hope it gets easier to deal with soon.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/09/02 at 16:40 (094841)

A cortisone shot may be worth a try. Sounds like you are doing most things right. What type of shoes did you obtain? Is ultrasound and taping part of your therapy regimin?
Ed

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 18:48 (094850)

Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out what is perpetuating the condition. I too am curious about what kind of shoes you are wearing. I found that I can only wear one pair of shoes. All the others I tried made my feet worse, and I was just lucky enough to find this one brand that works for me. Sometimes even shoes that feel comfortable will be a problem, so it's hard to figure out.
I think if you keep persisting you'll get better.
I started trying the Dex today, because I made the mistake of trying to dress up and wore flats to a funeral yesterday. I didn't know I would have to stand in an hour-long line. My arches were burning! Lesson learned--I will wear my clunkers even to the dressy occasions. Anyway, my experiment is to put Dex on my feet at bedtime and cover with waterproof tape. Might be good, bad or neutral results, but I am curious about it.
Ellen J.

R C on 9/09/02 at 19:07 (094853)

Sorry that you're not doing better. Everybody is probably tired of seeing my rant about casting, but it's what fixed my PF after two plus years. Ask your doctor if it might be suitable in your case. (it's not a conservative treatment, but it is not as invasive as surgery.) All doctors I've worked with advised against cortisone except to reduce severe pain, but that is another rant. I wish you luck.

Julie on 9/10/02 at 02:07 (094874)

RC, don't worry about anyone getting tired of hearing about your experience. I don't think that happens much here, even amongst the old-timers, and don't forget that there are always new people who haven't heard it all before. If something helped you, it's worth sharing.

Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 07:13 (094881)

I went through 12 ultrasound sessions. Should I ask for additional sessions? They also performed the iontophoresis procedure each time. It seems now that physical therapy has stopped I am worse. The shoes I have purchased include Josef Seibels (A+), New Balance 764 running shoe (A+), two pair of Birkenstocks (D- horrible shoes), an assortment of Clark's (A+), two pairs of Rockports that I have since sold on consignment (not enough support) and my favorites that I wear around the house, some Mephisto sandals, Nike 'trail' shoe (C-), New Balance cross trainer (B+). Is a cortisone shot a cure? Can they put me to sleep to give it to me (I heard it is dreadfully painful). Thanks for your response. Kim

Jonathan H. on 9/10/02 at 14:14 (094917)

I have had this for about a year now. I have had the injections, taping, night splint, orthotics ($400.00)and PT. I do icing and stretching...no gain. I am seeking out the Ossitron to see if it works. Has anyone had the Ossitron?

Leon S. on 9/10/02 at 18:51 (094947)

What kind of shoe is the Josef Seibels? Are they for men also?

john h on 9/11/02 at 11:43 (095015)

I have a pair of Josef Siebel shoes and they are excelent shoes with a good built in arch support. I think they are German or Check and you will need to to a specialty or high end shoe store to find them.

Walker on 9/12/02 at 22:44 (095210)

I had good luck just stretching out the tendons in my legs. I would suggest that you focus on your legs, in addition to feet and ankles. It worked for me. Can you touch your toes? I think that one exercise alone has helped me considerably. Just lean over and hang there for a minute or so, several times a day. Over time you'll get lower and lower. Lean forward a little bit and you'll stretch your calf muscles even more. If you can, put your hands on the floor and lean forward. I'm not an expert, but it's worked for me. I'd also recommend stretching your legs every which way you can. It can't hurt, and it might help. Good luck!

Carmen H on 9/09/02 at 11:29 (094820)

I have had this for 15 months and I have a dear friend who has had it for five years (Dave R.)...everyone is different so there's no telling how long for each person.
Sorry you are having a hard time..I hope it gets easier to deal with soon.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/09/02 at 16:40 (094841)

A cortisone shot may be worth a try. Sounds like you are doing most things right. What type of shoes did you obtain? Is ultrasound and taping part of your therapy regimin?
Ed

Ellen J. on 9/09/02 at 18:48 (094850)

Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out what is perpetuating the condition. I too am curious about what kind of shoes you are wearing. I found that I can only wear one pair of shoes. All the others I tried made my feet worse, and I was just lucky enough to find this one brand that works for me. Sometimes even shoes that feel comfortable will be a problem, so it's hard to figure out.
I think if you keep persisting you'll get better.
I started trying the Dex today, because I made the mistake of trying to dress up and wore flats to a funeral yesterday. I didn't know I would have to stand in an hour-long line. My arches were burning! Lesson learned--I will wear my clunkers even to the dressy occasions. Anyway, my experiment is to put Dex on my feet at bedtime and cover with waterproof tape. Might be good, bad or neutral results, but I am curious about it.
Ellen J.

R C on 9/09/02 at 19:07 (094853)

Sorry that you're not doing better. Everybody is probably tired of seeing my rant about casting, but it's what fixed my PF after two plus years. Ask your doctor if it might be suitable in your case. (it's not a conservative treatment, but it is not as invasive as surgery.) All doctors I've worked with advised against cortisone except to reduce severe pain, but that is another rant. I wish you luck.

Julie on 9/10/02 at 02:07 (094874)

RC, don't worry about anyone getting tired of hearing about your experience. I don't think that happens much here, even amongst the old-timers, and don't forget that there are always new people who haven't heard it all before. If something helped you, it's worth sharing.

Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 07:13 (094881)

I went through 12 ultrasound sessions. Should I ask for additional sessions? They also performed the iontophoresis procedure each time. It seems now that physical therapy has stopped I am worse. The shoes I have purchased include Josef Seibels (A+), New Balance 764 running shoe (A+), two pair of Birkenstocks (D- horrible shoes), an assortment of Clark's (A+), two pairs of Rockports that I have since sold on consignment (not enough support) and my favorites that I wear around the house, some Mephisto sandals, Nike 'trail' shoe (C-), New Balance cross trainer (B+). Is a cortisone shot a cure? Can they put me to sleep to give it to me (I heard it is dreadfully painful). Thanks for your response. Kim

Jonathan H. on 9/10/02 at 14:14 (094917)

I have had this for about a year now. I have had the injections, taping, night splint, orthotics ($400.00)and PT. I do icing and stretching...no gain. I am seeking out the Ossitron to see if it works. Has anyone had the Ossitron?

Leon S. on 9/10/02 at 18:51 (094947)

What kind of shoe is the Josef Seibels? Are they for men also?

john h on 9/11/02 at 11:43 (095015)

I have a pair of Josef Siebel shoes and they are excelent shoes with a good built in arch support. I think they are German or Check and you will need to to a specialty or high end shoe store to find them.

Walker on 9/12/02 at 22:44 (095210)

I had good luck just stretching out the tendons in my legs. I would suggest that you focus on your legs, in addition to feet and ankles. It worked for me. Can you touch your toes? I think that one exercise alone has helped me considerably. Just lean over and hang there for a minute or so, several times a day. Over time you'll get lower and lower. Lean forward a little bit and you'll stretch your calf muscles even more. If you can, put your hands on the floor and lean forward. I'm not an expert, but it's worked for me. I'd also recommend stretching your legs every which way you can. It can't hurt, and it might help. Good luck!