Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Painful is the Cortisone Injection ?????

Posted by Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 07:25 (094883)

Let's face it, I am an incredible wimp. I am so tired of suffering from the pf (and the expense of it all) that I am on the verge of requesting a cortisone shot. I would like to know, from those of you who have done this, EXACTLY HOW BAD IS THE PAIN? I have had several cortisone injections in my face over the years and it was not pleasant, however, I have heard that the heel injection is so painful that it is not worth the agony. Please provide honest feedback, positive and negative. I am getting neurotic - have any of you successfully recovered from pf? Thanks, Kim.

Re: How Painful is the Cortisone Injection ?????

Necee on 9/10/02 at 08:02 (094888)

Hi Kim, I had a Cortizone shot last year in my heel. I can tell you honestly that it was painfree, except for a very mild sensation, which is bearable. I don't like shots either and so I was very apprehensive myself.
Now, having said all that, you won't experience pain if your Dr. numbs your foot first, and that shot doesn't hurt either. So I would highly recommend that you find out if the Dr. numbs the foot before giving the shot. It is my understanding that those can be very painful if not given properly. My Pod said there is no need in causing any more pain than possible, so please check into that, and if your Dr. doesn't give Cortizone shots that way then find one that does.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

Happy trails..

Necee

Carmen H on 9/10/02 at 08:09 (094891)

VERY painful. I didn't have the numbing and I almost kicked the doctor.
Made my foot worse.

Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 08:50 (094895)

Neece, a lot of people are telling me that the cortisone made their condition worse. What were the bottom line results for you? Did it 'cure' your pf, make the condition worse, cause permanent damage or was it a temporary fix and you're still plagued with this? I am going to the doc. tomorrow at 1:00 so I am anxious to receive as much feedback. Have you healed? Thanks, Kim

Re: Air Cast

Leta B. on 9/10/02 at 09:32 (094897)

After much suffering with PF, and continuosly going for physical therapy, my therapist suggested I wear an air cast for some relief? Has anyone tried one and was it successful? Thank you....
I'm in sooo much constant pain and have tried and will try anything at this point!!!!!!!

john h on 9/10/02 at 10:52 (094900)

I have had a couple of cortisone injections in each foot from the side. I would describe the pain as moderate but over very very quick and would not sweat it. It gave me about 4 days of relief. It also serves some diagnostic purposes even if it only gives you temporary relief. Take a very very deep breath and begin to exhale as the the injection begins and this will help with any pain you might experience.

Angie K on 9/10/02 at 11:31 (094905)

I had two cortisone shots before I ended up having surgery. I ranked it right up there with childbirth. It was excruciating!! I hated every second of it.

R C on 9/10/02 at 11:51 (094908)

I had two cortisone shots for my PF, both on the right foot. They were quite painful, but I've had much worse. (I had an injection underneath my eyelid once prior to an eye operation. Good heavens, was that unpleasant!) The real question is whether the shots will do you any good. In my case they did absolutely nothing. (Not even pain relief.) My layperson's understanding is that cortisone is a fine anti-inflammatory, but there's a risk of weakening the tissue. So before you go with the shot it is necessary to assess whether the inflamed condition is a primary obstacle to healing, or whether there are unresolved biomechanical issues that might better be addressed some other way.

Janet C on 9/10/02 at 13:38 (094914)

Kim, It's been years since I've had a cortisone injection... but I'll never forget how excruciatingly painful they were! (My Drs. must not have known about the numbing pre-treatment back then.) However, at first I got about a month of relief from them... so I kept going back for more.

After several, I began to notice a crackling sound when the Pod injected the needle... and then he would pull the needle out, and try to give it in another spot! So I asked him what was the trouble, and why the crackling sound... and he said that I had already developed scar tissue in there... and the cortisone wouldn't get dispersed if it were injected into the scar tissue.

I've since learned that the cortisone itself shouldn't cause scar tissue... but the needles can. And in my case, the scar tissue eventually caused Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

With best wishes ~ Janet

Re: For Leta: Air Cast

Sharon W on 9/10/02 at 14:25 (094919)

Leta,

I used one for 6 weeks at one point, and it really seemed to help. It cut WAY back on the amount of pain I had when I was walking. (It think it might have made the OTHER foot a bit worse, though...)

Sharon

P.S: You might want to re-post this as a separate thread; people may overlook it here.

pala on 9/10/02 at 17:27 (094937)

what, exactly is an air cast?

Jay in Atlanta on 9/10/02 at 21:00 (094962)

3 shots so far. First shot, no pain. It was weird because I was expecting severe pain. The second was about a week later. No pain. 2 weeks after the 2nd I got the third. #3 burned a bit. 3 shots later, no real change in the pain.

dave r on 9/11/02 at 11:17 (095011)

It caused my fascia to burst.....

Re: Who's your doc in Atlanta Jay?

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 12:42 (095021)

Re: How Painful is the Cortisone Injection ????? range of responses

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/02 at 14:43 (095026)

Cortisone shots can be given in a painful fashion or in a manner in which very little discomfort is felt. The technique of the doc administering the shot is the key.
Ed

Kim R. on 9/11/02 at 16:10 (095041)

What does that mean and then what happened?

dave r on 9/12/02 at 07:28 (095111)

Cortisone weakens tissue. I was strtching all the time and the cortisone caused the plantar fascia to burst. When that happened i went down to the ground like a ton of bricks

Jay in Atlanta on 9/16/02 at 21:54 (095503)

A good podiatrist in Atlanta is Robert Schwartz with the Foot and Ankle Center in Dunwoody. He fitted me for orthotics 22 yrs ago when I was 16 and I've worn them since. I stopped wearing them for a short period of time this spring and PF reared its ugly head. The doc understands athletes (soccer player here) and alternative medicine. Years ago after a bad sprain he said DMSO was OK to use. I never expected a podiatrist to say that. Recently he has been real cool with me and my desire to get back on the field. He was intrigued by my wife's accupuncture and has since prescribed physical therapy. PT has been good. Ultrasound, stretching, massage, electrical stimulation.
Sorry for the late response.

Necee on 9/10/02 at 08:02 (094888)

Hi Kim, I had a Cortizone shot last year in my heel. I can tell you honestly that it was painfree, except for a very mild sensation, which is bearable. I don't like shots either and so I was very apprehensive myself.
Now, having said all that, you won't experience pain if your Dr. numbs your foot first, and that shot doesn't hurt either. So I would highly recommend that you find out if the Dr. numbs the foot before giving the shot. It is my understanding that those can be very painful if not given properly. My Pod said there is no need in causing any more pain than possible, so please check into that, and if your Dr. doesn't give Cortizone shots that way then find one that does.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

Happy trails..

Necee

Carmen H on 9/10/02 at 08:09 (094891)

VERY painful. I didn't have the numbing and I almost kicked the doctor.
Made my foot worse.

Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 08:50 (094895)

Neece, a lot of people are telling me that the cortisone made their condition worse. What were the bottom line results for you? Did it 'cure' your pf, make the condition worse, cause permanent damage or was it a temporary fix and you're still plagued with this? I am going to the doc. tomorrow at 1:00 so I am anxious to receive as much feedback. Have you healed? Thanks, Kim

Re: Air Cast

Leta B. on 9/10/02 at 09:32 (094897)

After much suffering with PF, and continuosly going for physical therapy, my therapist suggested I wear an air cast for some relief? Has anyone tried one and was it successful? Thank you....
I'm in sooo much constant pain and have tried and will try anything at this point!!!!!!!

john h on 9/10/02 at 10:52 (094900)

I have had a couple of cortisone injections in each foot from the side. I would describe the pain as moderate but over very very quick and would not sweat it. It gave me about 4 days of relief. It also serves some diagnostic purposes even if it only gives you temporary relief. Take a very very deep breath and begin to exhale as the the injection begins and this will help with any pain you might experience.

Angie K on 9/10/02 at 11:31 (094905)

I had two cortisone shots before I ended up having surgery. I ranked it right up there with childbirth. It was excruciating!! I hated every second of it.

R C on 9/10/02 at 11:51 (094908)

I had two cortisone shots for my PF, both on the right foot. They were quite painful, but I've had much worse. (I had an injection underneath my eyelid once prior to an eye operation. Good heavens, was that unpleasant!) The real question is whether the shots will do you any good. In my case they did absolutely nothing. (Not even pain relief.) My layperson's understanding is that cortisone is a fine anti-inflammatory, but there's a risk of weakening the tissue. So before you go with the shot it is necessary to assess whether the inflamed condition is a primary obstacle to healing, or whether there are unresolved biomechanical issues that might better be addressed some other way.

Janet C on 9/10/02 at 13:38 (094914)

Kim, It's been years since I've had a cortisone injection... but I'll never forget how excruciatingly painful they were! (My Drs. must not have known about the numbing pre-treatment back then.) However, at first I got about a month of relief from them... so I kept going back for more.

After several, I began to notice a crackling sound when the Pod injected the needle... and then he would pull the needle out, and try to give it in another spot! So I asked him what was the trouble, and why the crackling sound... and he said that I had already developed scar tissue in there... and the cortisone wouldn't get dispersed if it were injected into the scar tissue.

I've since learned that the cortisone itself shouldn't cause scar tissue... but the needles can. And in my case, the scar tissue eventually caused Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

With best wishes ~ Janet

Sharon W on 9/10/02 at 14:25 (094919)

Leta,

I used one for 6 weeks at one point, and it really seemed to help. It cut WAY back on the amount of pain I had when I was walking. (It think it might have made the OTHER foot a bit worse, though...)

Sharon

P.S: You might want to re-post this as a separate thread; people may overlook it here.

pala on 9/10/02 at 17:27 (094937)

what, exactly is an air cast?

Jay in Atlanta on 9/10/02 at 21:00 (094962)

3 shots so far. First shot, no pain. It was weird because I was expecting severe pain. The second was about a week later. No pain. 2 weeks after the 2nd I got the third. #3 burned a bit. 3 shots later, no real change in the pain.

dave r on 9/11/02 at 11:17 (095011)

It caused my fascia to burst.....

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 12:42 (095021)

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/02 at 14:43 (095026)

Cortisone shots can be given in a painful fashion or in a manner in which very little discomfort is felt. The technique of the doc administering the shot is the key.
Ed

Kim R. on 9/11/02 at 16:10 (095041)

What does that mean and then what happened?

dave r on 9/12/02 at 07:28 (095111)

Cortisone weakens tissue. I was strtching all the time and the cortisone caused the plantar fascia to burst. When that happened i went down to the ground like a ton of bricks

Jay in Atlanta on 9/16/02 at 21:54 (095503)

A good podiatrist in Atlanta is Robert Schwartz with the Foot and Ankle Center in Dunwoody. He fitted me for orthotics 22 yrs ago when I was 16 and I've worn them since. I stopped wearing them for a short period of time this spring and PF reared its ugly head. The doc understands athletes (soccer player here) and alternative medicine. Years ago after a bad sprain he said DMSO was OK to use. I never expected a podiatrist to say that. Recently he has been real cool with me and my desire to get back on the field. He was intrigued by my wife's accupuncture and has since prescribed physical therapy. PT has been good. Ultrasound, stretching, massage, electrical stimulation.
Sorry for the late response.

msups on 6/17/09 at 19:52 (258204)

i just had a cortisone shot to my heel. I am very tolerate to pain(been going in/out of UPS truck with cracked heel and broken knee cap for two months now).. but... that shot today was the worse pain I have ever had in my life. inducing labor and having my son natural was not anywhere near painful as them giving me that shot. i have had the shot in the knee and it was not too bad but be warned!!! have you dr. put something in it before he gives you one in the heel... ya'll have a good day

Lisa on 7/10/09 at 21:17 (258781)

I am supposed to get one this tuesday & I am sooooo scared, I'm ready to cry. I had one already and I screamed. My heel pain is greater tho. THEY HURT. Wish I could just have surgery.