Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis or Plantar Rupture?

Posted by Kim R. on 9/10/02 at 10:40 (094899)

Is plain old plantar facsitiis the same thing as a plantar rupture? In an old running book I came across from the early 90's, the two were briefly described as though they were two distinctly different afflictions, the latter being more severe and requiring a cast and complete rest. What is the difference or is this book outdated and these are actually the same conditions? Sometimes I feel like my foot is broken and other times I am just plain sore. I have had two x-rays. Is there a better method to see if something else is wrong other than just pf and heel spurs?

Re: Plantar fasciitis or Plantar Rupture?

R C on 9/10/02 at 11:56 (094909)

I agree with the book -- it seems reasonable that we distinguish the two conditions. Based on what I've read elsewhere, I believe an MRI might tell you whether there is a macroscopic tear in a tendon (whereas an X-ray probably won't).

Re: Plantar fasciitis or Plantar Rupture?

R C on 9/10/02 at 11:56 (094909)

I agree with the book -- it seems reasonable that we distinguish the two conditions. Based on what I've read elsewhere, I believe an MRI might tell you whether there is a macroscopic tear in a tendon (whereas an X-ray probably won't).