Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

interesting article on ESWT

Posted by elliott on 9/10/02 at 14:29 (094920)

http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/2001/0106.pain.bio.shtml

-----------

Re: interesting article on ESWT

BrianG on 9/10/02 at 22:08 (094968)

Yes, very interesting! Isn't Dr. Weil one of the Pods using the illegle 'O' machine? And he's claiming an 82% reduction in pain!! But best of all, I like how he was using that 'illegle' machine on a major league baseball club, for injuries that it (the 'O') was not approved to treat. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

BrianG

Dr. Z on 9/10/02 at 23:12 (094976)

It was my understanding that until Jan 2002 the O was approved by the FDA as a class one Pain management device. So before the FDA rescinded the FDA class one approval it was a device that could be used to treat any painful condition including plantar fasciitis. I believe that article was before Jan 2002. At present the O is going thru the class three typical FDA studies so that it can again be used to treat plantar fasciitis / heel spur pain. That all I know abou this

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 13:01 (095024)

Dr.Z,
I believe the doctors understanding and what the FDA was actually saying was different long after they rescinded the class one approval. Problem was it took the FDA a long time and formalities to make themselves clear to the 6 Pods that owned the machine.

Personally I think we've hashed the Big 'O' around enough.
It's now on the course that they require.

BrianG on 9/10/02 at 22:08 (094968)

Yes, very interesting! Isn't Dr. Weil one of the Pods using the illegle 'O' machine? And he's claiming an 82% reduction in pain!! But best of all, I like how he was using that 'illegle' machine on a major league baseball club, for injuries that it (the 'O') was not approved to treat. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

BrianG

Dr. Z on 9/10/02 at 23:12 (094976)

It was my understanding that until Jan 2002 the O was approved by the FDA as a class one Pain management device. So before the FDA rescinded the FDA class one approval it was a device that could be used to treat any painful condition including plantar fasciitis. I believe that article was before Jan 2002. At present the O is going thru the class three typical FDA studies so that it can again be used to treat plantar fasciitis / heel spur pain. That all I know abou this

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 13:01 (095024)

Dr.Z,
I believe the doctors understanding and what the FDA was actually saying was different long after they rescinded the class one approval. Problem was it took the FDA a long time and formalities to make themselves clear to the 6 Pods that owned the machine.

Personally I think we've hashed the Big 'O' around enough.
It's now on the course that they require.