Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch pain plus burning along lower back rim of heel

Posted by Ellen J. on 9/11/02 at 09:28 (095001)

Hi,
A friend of mine has P.F. and has been to lots of doctors and has tried ESWT, conservative measures, etc.
I'm trying to help her by asking the following:
Has anyone experienced severe burning along the lower back edge of heel where the heel meets the ground? The pain is both medial and lateral, but maybe more lateral and at the back. (Not where the achilles is--it's lower, and almost underneath). She has the typical arch pain of P.F. but also this horrible burning. I'm wondering if something is going on in addition to the P.F.
I think an MRI revealed ruptured fascia, but ESWT didn't help. The only way she can get through the day or sleep at night is with strong pain killers.
Any thoughts out there from the doctors or others? Is there anything else she can try?
Thanks!
Ellen J.

Re: Arch pain plus burning along lower back rim of heel

dave r on 9/11/02 at 09:36 (095003)

Your friends sypmtoms are very much like mine. I too, had a ruptured fascia. Email me if you like. I can tell you what has helped me and what hasnt.

dave r on 9/11/02 at 12:34 (095019)

When my fascia burst i had the pain in the same area. It felt like a big hole. About the size of a nickel. I also had bruising associated with it.
I had deep blisters that would show up and take about a month to reach the skin surface. It felt like the area was going to pop. there was so much pressure there. I also could feel something moving around for along time. I crawled around the house for two months. I couldnt do anything without taping my feet. I iced three to four times a day. Never ever go without wearing shoes or orthotics. I found that taking baths and using a plastic chair to sit on in the shower really helped.I had an mri done and that showed nothing.That cycle took along time to brake, about two years of hell. If your fascia burst i would think that your doctor would put you in a cast. It needs to heel. If i had to go through that again i would make sure that i was put in a cast for three weeks.And use crutches for awhile.
i made the mistake to try and take my doctors advice and keep stretching.
Its been five years now and i am still in pain from all the scare tissue in that area. Eswt is probably a great choice for you.

shawn p on 9/11/02 at 12:58 (095023)

Dave- Are you saying that the pain in the back of the heel was associated with the ruptured fascia?

dave r on 9/11/02 at 13:05 (095025)

For me , yes

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/02 at 15:11 (095032)

Check for a tight achilles/gastrosoleus complex. The back corner of the heel has some interdigitating fibers from both achilles and plantar fascia.
Ed

michele H on 9/12/02 at 06:02 (095105)

My son is 8 years old and has just completed cancer treatment for ALL. He now has several planters worts on his feet. He had the acid treatment and has been in pain ever since. After he gets up in the morning the pain starts, from the pressure of walking. What can we do???

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:04 (095132)

Thanks, Dave.
I have contacted my friend and let her know what you said.
I'm sorry your feet got so messed up and that you are still in some pain. I never knew feet were so delicate until I got P.F. I've recovered from every other injury but my feet don't want to get better--yet, anyway.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:06 (095133)

Thanks, Dr. Davis.
I'll mention that to my friend. I know she was in a cast for awhile, then wheelchair, then did ESWT, etc. but nothing has helped. I'll see if some gentle stretching might be a good idea.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:10 (095134)

Maybe the doctors can help you, but in the meantime, I'll tell you that I had plantar warts on one of my heels and the acid didn't work. Therefore the doctor used laser surgery and that did the trick. They had to inject anesthesia in the bottom of my foot which didn't feel great, but after recovering from the surgery I have had no more recurrence. I asked him how I got such a thing and he told me that the virus is harbored in wet public shower stalls. Therefore, it's a good idea to use flip-flops or other rubber sandals while showering at gyms, etc. to protect your feet from the disgusting things that live in the water that is in the bottom of the stall.
Good luck to him,
Ellen

dave r on 9/11/02 at 09:36 (095003)

Your friends sypmtoms are very much like mine. I too, had a ruptured fascia. Email me if you like. I can tell you what has helped me and what hasnt.

dave r on 9/11/02 at 12:34 (095019)

When my fascia burst i had the pain in the same area. It felt like a big hole. About the size of a nickel. I also had bruising associated with it.
I had deep blisters that would show up and take about a month to reach the skin surface. It felt like the area was going to pop. there was so much pressure there. I also could feel something moving around for along time. I crawled around the house for two months. I couldnt do anything without taping my feet. I iced three to four times a day. Never ever go without wearing shoes or orthotics. I found that taking baths and using a plastic chair to sit on in the shower really helped.I had an mri done and that showed nothing.That cycle took along time to brake, about two years of hell. If your fascia burst i would think that your doctor would put you in a cast. It needs to heel. If i had to go through that again i would make sure that i was put in a cast for three weeks.And use crutches for awhile.
i made the mistake to try and take my doctors advice and keep stretching.
Its been five years now and i am still in pain from all the scare tissue in that area. Eswt is probably a great choice for you.

shawn p on 9/11/02 at 12:58 (095023)

Dave- Are you saying that the pain in the back of the heel was associated with the ruptured fascia?

dave r on 9/11/02 at 13:05 (095025)

For me , yes

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/02 at 15:11 (095032)

Check for a tight achilles/gastrosoleus complex. The back corner of the heel has some interdigitating fibers from both achilles and plantar fascia.
Ed

michele H on 9/12/02 at 06:02 (095105)

My son is 8 years old and has just completed cancer treatment for ALL. He now has several planters worts on his feet. He had the acid treatment and has been in pain ever since. After he gets up in the morning the pain starts, from the pressure of walking. What can we do???

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:04 (095132)

Thanks, Dave.
I have contacted my friend and let her know what you said.
I'm sorry your feet got so messed up and that you are still in some pain. I never knew feet were so delicate until I got P.F. I've recovered from every other injury but my feet don't want to get better--yet, anyway.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:06 (095133)

Thanks, Dr. Davis.
I'll mention that to my friend. I know she was in a cast for awhile, then wheelchair, then did ESWT, etc. but nothing has helped. I'll see if some gentle stretching might be a good idea.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/12/02 at 11:10 (095134)

Maybe the doctors can help you, but in the meantime, I'll tell you that I had plantar warts on one of my heels and the acid didn't work. Therefore the doctor used laser surgery and that did the trick. They had to inject anesthesia in the bottom of my foot which didn't feel great, but after recovering from the surgery I have had no more recurrence. I asked him how I got such a thing and he told me that the virus is harbored in wet public shower stalls. Therefore, it's a good idea to use flip-flops or other rubber sandals while showering at gyms, etc. to protect your feet from the disgusting things that live in the water that is in the bottom of the stall.
Good luck to him,
Ellen