Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Healing

Posted by Carrie on 9/11/02 at 11:22 (095013)

NOw that I have been doing the dex and ultrasound treatments twice weekly I am seeing big time improvements. I am wondering how soon it is safe to start even thinking about resuming some types of weight bearing things again? I am also wondering if this treatment is actually reducing the symptoms by reducing the inflammation or if it is just treating the symptoms itself does that make any sense? Tee hee. I am home sick with a flu and kind of feeling half out of it right now.

I am convinced these treatments have been the biggest help in my healing although my birkenstocks seem to be making a huge difference as well as the stretching and night splint. I also think my attitude has helped allot too, I mean I went out and went to a concert, went to the fair and did normal things that were fun and my emotional state improved so much after that.

I do believe that stress and depression are big enemies of this condition.

I am also wanting to get back into spinning again and wonder if I should wait until I have no pain or what I should do regarding this. I mean it is not a bad exercise for PF like running, but it does put some pressure on the fascia I would assume. I think that once I get my orthotics I will probably start doing it again maybe once a week at first to see how it goes.

Any feedback would be appreciated. My PT thinks that I am doing good and wants to see me back in my normal routine.

thanks
Carrie

Re: Healing

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 12:42 (095020)

WAIT. my opinion only but you haven't been feeling better that long...I wouldn't push my luck for anything at this point. I had an entire two week period with NO pain at all last year and WHAM! out of nowhere I was 2x worse for no reason.
be careful...

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 12:44 (095022)

Thanks I agree and am not planning on doing anything much yet, specially since I am still home sick with the flu! But i am wondering how long I should wait to get back on the bike? I miss it allot.

Thanks

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 15:30 (095037)

You're talking to someone who misses it all...spinning, kickboxing, running, speed walking, weight lifting, stair master....all of it. I used to work out 2-3 hours a day (at 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. religiously).
It's been 15 months since I was able to do any of it. I have resigned myself to my new life and truly believe I am a happier person now than I have ever been...even with the pain. It has opened new doors to me on life. Be patient.....see what you can 'see' while you're waiting to go back to it. I hope you get better soon from the flu too!!

Kim R. on 9/11/02 at 16:12 (095042)

Carrie, not to burst your bubble, my pain came back about three or four days after all my ultrasound and dex. treatments were completed. I went and had a cortisone shot yesterday for the first time out of sheer desperation. I would NOT start weight-bearing stuff just because you feel great right now. Wait a few days until after you are completely finished with the physical therapy and see how you feel.

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:33 (095045)

I have to ask why you gave up all of it? The weightlifting is certainly not going to hurt your feet if you do it all on machines while sitting or are careful with the dumbells. Also there are other things, yoga, pilates, and swimming to get your heart racing. There is no way I can give it all up I would probably turn suicidal!

I had my 4th treatment today and my feet for the moment are pain free even to the touch, that dex is a life saver even if it isn't permantent. What a great thing that is, so glad to have found this wonderful site and the person who told me to try it god bless you~!

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:36 (095046)

Lucky for me I have met my deductable for the year so all my PT is free till January, I have no intention of stopping period. I will continue the dex treatments till the end of year, then see what happens. I am ok, I will just keep swimming. I am surprised you would take the shot. If you are that desperate find a pain doc that will inject the dex into trigger spots, that cured me for over 4 months. Much safer than the cortisone too. By the way I also met a nurse I work with here in Idaho who got the whole ESWT treatment and got her insurance to pay for it, the same insurance I have, so I may do that if this doesn't hold out. For now I am not stopping the treatments. I am curious why did you stop? Was it $$$ or what?

Hugs and hope you feel better soon
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 16:38 (095049)

I gave it up b/c I couldn't even WALK in tennis shoes...I tried for about a week or two to continue (even doing 40 pound squats!!!!...but I needed REST pure and simple. Along with foot problems came back pain as well....
Other things take the place of it when you're away from it for so long. I was an addict to exercise and over did it more than you can know (part of the reason I got pf was from overuse) but...you definitely adjust and suicide is not an option. ;o)

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:41 (095050)

I would never do squats period. I only do upper body and some lower body stuff that is all sitting down, i too could hardly put on tennis shoes a month ago, but the dexamethasone treatments with the ultrasiound have changed all that now! I am stoked. Also swimming, do you swim? Trust me I get extremely depressed if I don't work out and suicide would become an option KIDDING but really I need to work out and I can always do things that don't hurt my feet. No tennis shoes in the pool and I don't want the rest of me to fall apart cause I stop working out, not worth it. Besides I need to fit in all those size 3 pants I have and they look so good with my birkies hee he!
love
Carrie

Re: Carmen, I thought you were just about completely better

elliott on 9/11/02 at 20:54 (095068)

Now you're saying you can't do any of those activities (not that you should rush into them).

-----

Re: Dear Elliott

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 08:37 (095113)

If you read my posts from before EVERYthing is better but my feet are not 100% (still have some burning when I over do it)...Plus the previous post says 'Other things take the place of it when you're away from it for so long. I was an addict to exercise and over did it more than you can know (part of the reason I got pf was from overuse) but...you definitely adjust and suicide is not an option. ;o)'
The things that have taken the place of exercise (I still go for walks btw) are much more important to me now. I will never want to get back into it like I was...it was all I thought about...it was the first thing I did every day get out of bed and run to the gym (Instead of spending time with my dog, instead of taking a quiet walk in the morning like i do now...I was rushing out the door). Once you learn to let go of the idea that you're 'running' was who you were and the only reason for life was to lift weights or whatever you feel like a new person. So that is the reason I don't 'get back into it'......:o)
Time to quit thinking about what we don't have and remember what we do in my opinion...once I did that? Life started again!

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 08:41 (095114)

I don't enjoy swimming...it bores me. I like to sweat if I work out...perhaps I will swim when winter comes around and I can't go for walks anymore without freeziiinnnnggggg....
I was depressed for a little while but I got over it once I realized my life is forever changed. Acceptance is key.
I have lost weight since this happened so fitting into clothes I used to wear isn't a problem...and it isn't number one priority for me anymore to look 'good' all the time. I still take care of myself and dress up when needed but it takes a back seat to my mental and physical health now.
Trust me I was nuts about how I was going to stay fit with this...tht part exhausted me even more than the PF!! ;o)
Glad you have swimming and something that works for you..that's important.

john h on 9/12/02 at 08:54 (095115)

Carmen: Have you ever had ESWT?

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 09:17 (095119)

yes. on one foot....didn't do diddily.
I had insurance that covered it back then...now I don't. I have a pain level of about 2-3 most of the time.....so it's okay.
The Sdo's have taken care of the prickly feelings I used to have and they are very comfortable so these are doing the most good so far with stretching of course.

Re: it's too late for me; I'm already dead

elliott on 9/12/02 at 14:20 (095150)

Maybe I'm misreadng this, but somehow you sound less healed than you first made out.

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 15:11 (095155)

hmmm....I don't under stand what the confusion is.
I stated that the glutes, back, hams,sciatica were better but I still had some burning in my feet when I over do it...I just stated in the last post again that my feet still have issues when I over do it...
Oh dear....never mind Elliott you poor soul..you seem to be trying to find something wrong with me too.

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 15:16 (095157)

I posted this 'It's been 15 months since I was able to do any of it. I have resigned myself to my new life and truly believe I am a happier person now than I have ever been...even with the pain.' because it has been 15 months since I belonged to a gym and leaped out of bed to go running & kickboxing first thing in the morning...and I still have pain in my feeet but everything else is fixed.
Is this what confused you?

Re: it was the impression I got from your grand re-entry thread on Social

elliott on 9/12/02 at 16:02 (095167)

It seemed to be bursting with optimism and positive vibes, that all that was left was 20% of the feet problem. Now it's starting to sound more like what happened is that you took a different view of life (I hope I don't have to read the book that gave it to you :-)), one that gives you a fresh outlook by learning not to miss all the things you once loved to do. Maybe that's a lot smarter than moping around, but I wouldn't call that almost all better, i.e. with the ability to return to previous activity level.

-----

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 16:48 (095175)

Elliott......I was lucky enough to get new insight into 'life' while getting better.
Aren't you exhausted from all the negativity? Whew!

Carrie on 9/12/02 at 19:26 (095195)

Were you talking about me cause I am not even healed, all I said was that I have been making progress, I have had the PF for about 2 years so I know that it will be along time for me to be healed however, I will never give up working out, it is good for the soul as well as the body. Anyone who gives up exercising completely is not being very smart about their health, as fitness is the key to living a longer healthier life. Not to mention you look better too. I love having a tone fit firm bod and plan to stay that way and I am always being told I look younger than I am, that I say is in a large part due to working out. I love to lift weights, to swim, to do yoga and pilates, it just makes me feel good. While I have in the past over obsessed and yes messed myself up, I feel that I am in a good place now and have realized that there has to be balance, one need not go from too much to nothing becuase they have PF I feel that balance is the key

hugs To YOU!
Carrie

Re: Carrie

Carmen H on 9/13/02 at 09:06 (095224)

Neither of us (Elliott or myself) was addressing anything to you in the previous posts.....where you said 'Were you talking about me cause I am not even healed' I'm not sure where you thought this was addressed to you but I apologize for your confusion.
Your statement 'Anyone who gives up exercising completely is not being very smart about their health' is valid for people who are ABLE to continue exercising and who choose to continue. But please be careful about judging people for not continuing to exericse. For some it was the BEST and only decision to make.
So glad you are making progress!!!! That's the goal for us all and if you are able to keep exericising while healing that's even better.
Continue sharing your success stories...it helps those who need to hear positive things.

Carrie on 9/13/02 at 10:55 (095236)

Carmen

I guess I got confused because of the email coming to me I wasn't looking at the board so it seemed that it might have been in reference to me and I was just replying that I am def not healed from this yet, just making some really slow encouraging progress. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I do have to question anyone that totally gives up any form of exercise as this can be a great way to prolong ones life and health, keep your heart healthy and keep you from getting saggy, and losing stregnth and flexibility. This can have an overwhelming huge effect on ones health and that is a proven fact, and almost everyone even if you are in a wheelchair, can find some form of physical activity to keep themselves from losing stregnth and muscle tone. You mention that you walk everyday so that to me says you have not given up being active. I am refering to anyone who does absolutely nothing that means just basically sitting in front of the tv all day. You don't have to belong to a gym to be getting exercise. I think people with PF imparticularly need to keep themselves in shape with stretching or other things that they can do because if you loose that mobility your PF can and will get worse. I envy you for being able to take walks everyday, I miss walking allot. I have resigned myself to the fact that walking and running are forever done for me, but I will continue to do what I can without hurting myself. I for one love being tone and firm and that means that I have to continue to swim, lift weights do yoga and pilates or whatever else that I can without hurting myself. I wish I could walk, but that is probably not every going to be one of my routines ever again.

anyhow that was all I meant and did not mean to offend you or anyone else. I know that fitness is important for us all.
hugs
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 12:42 (095020)

WAIT. my opinion only but you haven't been feeling better that long...I wouldn't push my luck for anything at this point. I had an entire two week period with NO pain at all last year and WHAM! out of nowhere I was 2x worse for no reason.
be careful...

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 12:44 (095022)

Thanks I agree and am not planning on doing anything much yet, specially since I am still home sick with the flu! But i am wondering how long I should wait to get back on the bike? I miss it allot.

Thanks

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 15:30 (095037)

You're talking to someone who misses it all...spinning, kickboxing, running, speed walking, weight lifting, stair master....all of it. I used to work out 2-3 hours a day (at 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. religiously).
It's been 15 months since I was able to do any of it. I have resigned myself to my new life and truly believe I am a happier person now than I have ever been...even with the pain. It has opened new doors to me on life. Be patient.....see what you can 'see' while you're waiting to go back to it. I hope you get better soon from the flu too!!

Kim R. on 9/11/02 at 16:12 (095042)

Carrie, not to burst your bubble, my pain came back about three or four days after all my ultrasound and dex. treatments were completed. I went and had a cortisone shot yesterday for the first time out of sheer desperation. I would NOT start weight-bearing stuff just because you feel great right now. Wait a few days until after you are completely finished with the physical therapy and see how you feel.

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:33 (095045)

I have to ask why you gave up all of it? The weightlifting is certainly not going to hurt your feet if you do it all on machines while sitting or are careful with the dumbells. Also there are other things, yoga, pilates, and swimming to get your heart racing. There is no way I can give it all up I would probably turn suicidal!

I had my 4th treatment today and my feet for the moment are pain free even to the touch, that dex is a life saver even if it isn't permantent. What a great thing that is, so glad to have found this wonderful site and the person who told me to try it god bless you~!

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:36 (095046)

Lucky for me I have met my deductable for the year so all my PT is free till January, I have no intention of stopping period. I will continue the dex treatments till the end of year, then see what happens. I am ok, I will just keep swimming. I am surprised you would take the shot. If you are that desperate find a pain doc that will inject the dex into trigger spots, that cured me for over 4 months. Much safer than the cortisone too. By the way I also met a nurse I work with here in Idaho who got the whole ESWT treatment and got her insurance to pay for it, the same insurance I have, so I may do that if this doesn't hold out. For now I am not stopping the treatments. I am curious why did you stop? Was it $$$ or what?

Hugs and hope you feel better soon
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/11/02 at 16:38 (095049)

I gave it up b/c I couldn't even WALK in tennis shoes...I tried for about a week or two to continue (even doing 40 pound squats!!!!...but I needed REST pure and simple. Along with foot problems came back pain as well....
Other things take the place of it when you're away from it for so long. I was an addict to exercise and over did it more than you can know (part of the reason I got pf was from overuse) but...you definitely adjust and suicide is not an option. ;o)

Carrie on 9/11/02 at 16:41 (095050)

I would never do squats period. I only do upper body and some lower body stuff that is all sitting down, i too could hardly put on tennis shoes a month ago, but the dexamethasone treatments with the ultrasiound have changed all that now! I am stoked. Also swimming, do you swim? Trust me I get extremely depressed if I don't work out and suicide would become an option KIDDING but really I need to work out and I can always do things that don't hurt my feet. No tennis shoes in the pool and I don't want the rest of me to fall apart cause I stop working out, not worth it. Besides I need to fit in all those size 3 pants I have and they look so good with my birkies hee he!
love
Carrie

Re: Carmen, I thought you were just about completely better

elliott on 9/11/02 at 20:54 (095068)

Now you're saying you can't do any of those activities (not that you should rush into them).

-----

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 08:37 (095113)

If you read my posts from before EVERYthing is better but my feet are not 100% (still have some burning when I over do it)...Plus the previous post says 'Other things take the place of it when you're away from it for so long. I was an addict to exercise and over did it more than you can know (part of the reason I got pf was from overuse) but...you definitely adjust and suicide is not an option. ;o)'
The things that have taken the place of exercise (I still go for walks btw) are much more important to me now. I will never want to get back into it like I was...it was all I thought about...it was the first thing I did every day get out of bed and run to the gym (Instead of spending time with my dog, instead of taking a quiet walk in the morning like i do now...I was rushing out the door). Once you learn to let go of the idea that you're 'running' was who you were and the only reason for life was to lift weights or whatever you feel like a new person. So that is the reason I don't 'get back into it'......:o)
Time to quit thinking about what we don't have and remember what we do in my opinion...once I did that? Life started again!

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 08:41 (095114)

I don't enjoy swimming...it bores me. I like to sweat if I work out...perhaps I will swim when winter comes around and I can't go for walks anymore without freeziiinnnnggggg....
I was depressed for a little while but I got over it once I realized my life is forever changed. Acceptance is key.
I have lost weight since this happened so fitting into clothes I used to wear isn't a problem...and it isn't number one priority for me anymore to look 'good' all the time. I still take care of myself and dress up when needed but it takes a back seat to my mental and physical health now.
Trust me I was nuts about how I was going to stay fit with this...tht part exhausted me even more than the PF!! ;o)
Glad you have swimming and something that works for you..that's important.

john h on 9/12/02 at 08:54 (095115)

Carmen: Have you ever had ESWT?

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 09:17 (095119)

yes. on one foot....didn't do diddily.
I had insurance that covered it back then...now I don't. I have a pain level of about 2-3 most of the time.....so it's okay.
The Sdo's have taken care of the prickly feelings I used to have and they are very comfortable so these are doing the most good so far with stretching of course.

elliott on 9/12/02 at 14:20 (095150)

Maybe I'm misreadng this, but somehow you sound less healed than you first made out.

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 15:11 (095155)

hmmm....I don't under stand what the confusion is.
I stated that the glutes, back, hams,sciatica were better but I still had some burning in my feet when I over do it...I just stated in the last post again that my feet still have issues when I over do it...
Oh dear....never mind Elliott you poor soul..you seem to be trying to find something wrong with me too.

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 15:16 (095157)

I posted this 'It's been 15 months since I was able to do any of it. I have resigned myself to my new life and truly believe I am a happier person now than I have ever been...even with the pain.' because it has been 15 months since I belonged to a gym and leaped out of bed to go running & kickboxing first thing in the morning...and I still have pain in my feeet but everything else is fixed.
Is this what confused you?

elliott on 9/12/02 at 16:02 (095167)

It seemed to be bursting with optimism and positive vibes, that all that was left was 20% of the feet problem. Now it's starting to sound more like what happened is that you took a different view of life (I hope I don't have to read the book that gave it to you :-)), one that gives you a fresh outlook by learning not to miss all the things you once loved to do. Maybe that's a lot smarter than moping around, but I wouldn't call that almost all better, i.e. with the ability to return to previous activity level.

-----

Carmen H on 9/12/02 at 16:48 (095175)

Elliott......I was lucky enough to get new insight into 'life' while getting better.
Aren't you exhausted from all the negativity? Whew!

Carrie on 9/12/02 at 19:26 (095195)

Were you talking about me cause I am not even healed, all I said was that I have been making progress, I have had the PF for about 2 years so I know that it will be along time for me to be healed however, I will never give up working out, it is good for the soul as well as the body. Anyone who gives up exercising completely is not being very smart about their health, as fitness is the key to living a longer healthier life. Not to mention you look better too. I love having a tone fit firm bod and plan to stay that way and I am always being told I look younger than I am, that I say is in a large part due to working out. I love to lift weights, to swim, to do yoga and pilates, it just makes me feel good. While I have in the past over obsessed and yes messed myself up, I feel that I am in a good place now and have realized that there has to be balance, one need not go from too much to nothing becuase they have PF I feel that balance is the key

hugs To YOU!
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/13/02 at 09:06 (095224)

Neither of us (Elliott or myself) was addressing anything to you in the previous posts.....where you said 'Were you talking about me cause I am not even healed' I'm not sure where you thought this was addressed to you but I apologize for your confusion.
Your statement 'Anyone who gives up exercising completely is not being very smart about their health' is valid for people who are ABLE to continue exercising and who choose to continue. But please be careful about judging people for not continuing to exericse. For some it was the BEST and only decision to make.
So glad you are making progress!!!! That's the goal for us all and if you are able to keep exericising while healing that's even better.
Continue sharing your success stories...it helps those who need to hear positive things.

Carrie on 9/13/02 at 10:55 (095236)

Carmen

I guess I got confused because of the email coming to me I wasn't looking at the board so it seemed that it might have been in reference to me and I was just replying that I am def not healed from this yet, just making some really slow encouraging progress. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I do have to question anyone that totally gives up any form of exercise as this can be a great way to prolong ones life and health, keep your heart healthy and keep you from getting saggy, and losing stregnth and flexibility. This can have an overwhelming huge effect on ones health and that is a proven fact, and almost everyone even if you are in a wheelchair, can find some form of physical activity to keep themselves from losing stregnth and muscle tone. You mention that you walk everyday so that to me says you have not given up being active. I am refering to anyone who does absolutely nothing that means just basically sitting in front of the tv all day. You don't have to belong to a gym to be getting exercise. I think people with PF imparticularly need to keep themselves in shape with stretching or other things that they can do because if you loose that mobility your PF can and will get worse. I envy you for being able to take walks everyday, I miss walking allot. I have resigned myself to the fact that walking and running are forever done for me, but I will continue to do what I can without hurting myself. I for one love being tone and firm and that means that I have to continue to swim, lift weights do yoga and pilates or whatever else that I can without hurting myself. I wish I could walk, but that is probably not every going to be one of my routines ever again.

anyhow that was all I meant and did not mean to offend you or anyone else. I know that fitness is important for us all.
hugs
Carrie