Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Mobile Services Available to Podiatrists in New York State

Posted by Jackie D on 9/11/02 at 11:49 (095016)

Exciting news for Podiatrists and their patients in New York State. Shared Medical Therpaies (SMT) is pleased to offer ESWT Mobile Services to your practice or surgery center. Please e-mail me with your questions on how we can provide this new service to your practice. Appointemets will be arranged as needed.

Re: ESWT Mobile Services Available to Podiatrists in New York State

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 15:21 (095036)

What machine is being used and how many doctors belong to your group?

I would encourage your doctors to join the discussions on this web site so we can get to know them, and they become a source of information for the posters here. Doctor participation is very important and certainly welcomed.

I hope we see some of your members answering posters questions in the near future.

Jackie D. on 9/11/02 at 17:44 (095055)

Our company is a full service mobile company for the Dornier system. We provide the service to the Dr's office or surgery center. We provide the tech, precertification with insurance companies and so on. There is no investment to the Dr. other than signing a contract with us for the service and we do the rest.

Dr. Z on 9/11/02 at 20:23 (095064)

Do the doctor get paid by your company or do the doctor bill the insurance company for their own professional fee ?

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 21:49 (095089)

Who is performing the treatment a doctor or tech or both?

Jackie D. on 9/12/02 at 07:04 (095108)

The Dr. gets paid by the insurance company. We precertify all patients with the insurance company before they are even treated . Our company bills the Dr. directly, usually on a fee per exam basis. Once submitted to the insurance company knowing that the exam was precertified the Dr. will get paid for his professional fee.

Jackie D. on 9/12/02 at 07:08 (095109)

We provide a tech and the tech works along side with the Dr. Please remember that the Dr. is overall responsible for the practice and treatment to their patients. The tech works under the Dr's orders and the Dr. is solely resonsible for what ever they do or instruct a tech to do.

dave r on 9/12/02 at 07:18 (095110)

whats the cost?

Pauline on 9/12/02 at 09:04 (095117)

Are you saying the doctor gets no portion of the fee your company charges for the treatment? Only their office visit?

What do you find is the average charge to a patient per foot for your ESWT treatment by doctors using your services.

john h on 9/12/02 at 09:45 (095125)

I think that most ESWT is actually being done by TECHs not the Doctor. I really have no problem with this as long as the Doctor makes the decision as to where to focus the beam. It does not take a brain surgeon to place your foot against the ESWT head and turn the machine on. I think Allan in Australia travels around giving ESWT. He is under the supervision of a Doctor but after years of doing this I would suspect is very proficient in what he does. I know from his post that he is extremely knowledgable.

The radioligist does not do the MRI or the X-rays and probably could not do it as well as the Techs as they do them all day long.

The Doctors roll is to provide a accurate diagnosis, decide if ESWT is appropriate, and make the decision on what area to treat. As to actually doing the ESWT I see no benefit.

dave r on 9/12/02 at 12:04 (095140)

For what its worth.........
I was going to be 'treated' with the big O in January of this year. I was scheduled to have this done at a surgery center. Healthtronics supplied the machine in a traveling van. For three months i tried and tried and tried and tried to get Healthtronics to tell me what the cost was going to be. THEY WOULD NOT SAY!!!!! The surgery center also said that they didnt know what the cost was either. My doctor wanted $500.00 a foot. Finally Healthtronics said that i pay them for everything and they dispersed the money to everyone else. Can you see where i am going with this!!!!!!!!
At that time a didnt care what the cost was. It didnt matter. I just wanted to know how much. I was paying for it myself.
Anyhow, it was all set. The day i went in to have this done, Healthtronics wanted there money upfront BUT WOULD NOT TAKE A PERSONAL CHECK. The bad part of it is that they called me the day before and asked me how i was going to pay for it. I ended up leaving the surgery center with nothing. I cutt off every doctor involved and got a formal apology from the president of Healthtronics.
I personally would not go to any surgical center to have this done.
1. The cost is really high.
2. The doctor gets paid.
3. The surgery center gets paid.
4. The owner of the machine gets paid.
5. The Anesthesiologist get paid.

I know that i had a bad experiance. There is no second guessing that.
But i gaurantee that if a doctor or group owns there own machine you will be treated better than i was.. Sorry for rambling.

john h on 9/12/02 at 15:39 (095163)

Pauline: I talked to Doctor in San Antonio who uses the Ossatron. He said he charges $500 per foot but has no control over the Healthtronics,Hospital, or Anetheasia charges. You would think Healthtronics would come up with a better billing protocol one way or the other. It is crazy when you go for a procedure and the Doctor cannot tell you what the total cost will be. With Dr. Z, Bayshore, or Vancouver you walk in or write them and they will tell you what it is going to cost.

Pauline on 9/12/02 at 18:39 (095193)

John,
This type of billing isn't unusal especially if your talking about an out patient surgical center. A hospital would be the same.

Today if you walk into most doctors offices you can't even write them a check or pay cash. They don't know what to do if you offer them money except tell you they have to bill your insurance company.

I prefer paying the doctors up front then turning in my own bills. They can't deal with this.

It's worst than a kid who can't do math trying to give change.

My sggestion is a check out station equiped with a computer that has a touch screen with procedure pictures on it. Ex. One square with a picture of the little inside office for basic office visit charge then all the additional treatments available. One with the x-ray machine, One with the injection needle. One with the urine bottle. etc etc.

The doctor could check the same pictures on the examination check out sheet, hand it to you. You would then proceed to the check out window and the ladies at the desk could key in the cost according to the pictures of what was done. Like McDonalds each picture would have a price attached to it. Bingo, a McDonalds looking tally would come out at the end.

I don't know if this would work in Florida though.:*)

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 15:21 (095036)

What machine is being used and how many doctors belong to your group?

I would encourage your doctors to join the discussions on this web site so we can get to know them, and they become a source of information for the posters here. Doctor participation is very important and certainly welcomed.

I hope we see some of your members answering posters questions in the near future.

Jackie D. on 9/11/02 at 17:44 (095055)

Our company is a full service mobile company for the Dornier system. We provide the service to the Dr's office or surgery center. We provide the tech, precertification with insurance companies and so on. There is no investment to the Dr. other than signing a contract with us for the service and we do the rest.

Dr. Z on 9/11/02 at 20:23 (095064)

Do the doctor get paid by your company or do the doctor bill the insurance company for their own professional fee ?

Pauline on 9/11/02 at 21:49 (095089)

Who is performing the treatment a doctor or tech or both?

Jackie D. on 9/12/02 at 07:04 (095108)

The Dr. gets paid by the insurance company. We precertify all patients with the insurance company before they are even treated . Our company bills the Dr. directly, usually on a fee per exam basis. Once submitted to the insurance company knowing that the exam was precertified the Dr. will get paid for his professional fee.

Jackie D. on 9/12/02 at 07:08 (095109)

We provide a tech and the tech works along side with the Dr. Please remember that the Dr. is overall responsible for the practice and treatment to their patients. The tech works under the Dr's orders and the Dr. is solely resonsible for what ever they do or instruct a tech to do.

dave r on 9/12/02 at 07:18 (095110)

whats the cost?

Pauline on 9/12/02 at 09:04 (095117)

Are you saying the doctor gets no portion of the fee your company charges for the treatment? Only their office visit?

What do you find is the average charge to a patient per foot for your ESWT treatment by doctors using your services.

john h on 9/12/02 at 09:45 (095125)

I think that most ESWT is actually being done by TECHs not the Doctor. I really have no problem with this as long as the Doctor makes the decision as to where to focus the beam. It does not take a brain surgeon to place your foot against the ESWT head and turn the machine on. I think Allan in Australia travels around giving ESWT. He is under the supervision of a Doctor but after years of doing this I would suspect is very proficient in what he does. I know from his post that he is extremely knowledgable.

The radioligist does not do the MRI or the X-rays and probably could not do it as well as the Techs as they do them all day long.

The Doctors roll is to provide a accurate diagnosis, decide if ESWT is appropriate, and make the decision on what area to treat. As to actually doing the ESWT I see no benefit.

dave r on 9/12/02 at 12:04 (095140)

For what its worth.........
I was going to be 'treated' with the big O in January of this year. I was scheduled to have this done at a surgery center. Healthtronics supplied the machine in a traveling van. For three months i tried and tried and tried and tried to get Healthtronics to tell me what the cost was going to be. THEY WOULD NOT SAY!!!!! The surgery center also said that they didnt know what the cost was either. My doctor wanted $500.00 a foot. Finally Healthtronics said that i pay them for everything and they dispersed the money to everyone else. Can you see where i am going with this!!!!!!!!
At that time a didnt care what the cost was. It didnt matter. I just wanted to know how much. I was paying for it myself.
Anyhow, it was all set. The day i went in to have this done, Healthtronics wanted there money upfront BUT WOULD NOT TAKE A PERSONAL CHECK. The bad part of it is that they called me the day before and asked me how i was going to pay for it. I ended up leaving the surgery center with nothing. I cutt off every doctor involved and got a formal apology from the president of Healthtronics.
I personally would not go to any surgical center to have this done.
1. The cost is really high.
2. The doctor gets paid.
3. The surgery center gets paid.
4. The owner of the machine gets paid.
5. The Anesthesiologist get paid.

I know that i had a bad experiance. There is no second guessing that.
But i gaurantee that if a doctor or group owns there own machine you will be treated better than i was.. Sorry for rambling.

john h on 9/12/02 at 15:39 (095163)

Pauline: I talked to Doctor in San Antonio who uses the Ossatron. He said he charges $500 per foot but has no control over the Healthtronics,Hospital, or Anetheasia charges. You would think Healthtronics would come up with a better billing protocol one way or the other. It is crazy when you go for a procedure and the Doctor cannot tell you what the total cost will be. With Dr. Z, Bayshore, or Vancouver you walk in or write them and they will tell you what it is going to cost.

Pauline on 9/12/02 at 18:39 (095193)

John,
This type of billing isn't unusal especially if your talking about an out patient surgical center. A hospital would be the same.

Today if you walk into most doctors offices you can't even write them a check or pay cash. They don't know what to do if you offer them money except tell you they have to bill your insurance company.

I prefer paying the doctors up front then turning in my own bills. They can't deal with this.

It's worst than a kid who can't do math trying to give change.

My sggestion is a check out station equiped with a computer that has a touch screen with procedure pictures on it. Ex. One square with a picture of the little inside office for basic office visit charge then all the additional treatments available. One with the x-ray machine, One with the injection needle. One with the urine bottle. etc etc.

The doctor could check the same pictures on the examination check out sheet, hand it to you. You would then proceed to the check out window and the ladies at the desk could key in the cost according to the pictures of what was done. Like McDonalds each picture would have a price attached to it. Bingo, a McDonalds looking tally would come out at the end.

I don't know if this would work in Florida though.:*)