Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tendinitis with heel spur

Posted by Edna I on 9/11/02 at 17:57 (095058)

It seems like one thing starts getting better and another one develops. My heel spur was doing great and then I started having pain in the outside of my heel and slightly up my ankle. I would appreciate any information on how to treat this. My pod wasn't much help...

Re: tendinitis with heel spur

Carole C in NOLA on 9/12/02 at 20:15 (095198)

Try reading the heel pain book on this site. Many of the treatments for heel spurs (plantar fasciitis) also help the tendonitis that so often accompanies it.

Stretching is particularly important for those of us with tendonitis. But it's very important to only do gentle, non-weightbearing (sitting down) stretches. That's all that you need, and more vigorous stretching can make things worse. Here are some good stretches, described by Julie who is a regular here and also a Yoga instructor: bbv.cgi?n=91080

What you wear on your feet matters. I found that a firm, high heel counter that was not too tight on my heel seemed to help me, but I don't know if that's true of everyone. Birkenstocks are helpful to many people with PF. Never stand or take even one step if you are barefoot, and wear shower shoes and/or use a shower stool in the shower.

Ice helps. Also rest your feet as much as you reasonably can. Massaging my own feet didn't help me much, but it's worth trying. Keep reading on the message board, and keep asking questions... people here are pretty nice and really do have a good idea of what you are going through.

I hope this helps.

CArole C

Re: tendinitis with heel spur

Carole C in NOLA on 9/12/02 at 20:15 (095198)

Try reading the heel pain book on this site. Many of the treatments for heel spurs (plantar fasciitis) also help the tendonitis that so often accompanies it.

Stretching is particularly important for those of us with tendonitis. But it's very important to only do gentle, non-weightbearing (sitting down) stretches. That's all that you need, and more vigorous stretching can make things worse. Here are some good stretches, described by Julie who is a regular here and also a Yoga instructor: bbv.cgi?n=91080

What you wear on your feet matters. I found that a firm, high heel counter that was not too tight on my heel seemed to help me, but I don't know if that's true of everyone. Birkenstocks are helpful to many people with PF. Never stand or take even one step if you are barefoot, and wear shower shoes and/or use a shower stool in the shower.

Ice helps. Also rest your feet as much as you reasonably can. Massaging my own feet didn't help me much, but it's worth trying. Keep reading on the message board, and keep asking questions... people here are pretty nice and really do have a good idea of what you are going through.

I hope this helps.

CArole C