Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I suggest using foot trainer!

Posted by Jay B. on 9/11/02 at 20:34 (095065)

I am a postman. I walk all day long, and have done so for almost 26 years. In addition, I was a cross-country runner for years, before I switched to strength training. My heels started bothering me in a major way a few years ago- I tried to stretch them religiously, using curbs, calf raises off of a block, and by leaning against a wall... All did nothing, except make it WORSE!

My answer was the Foot trainer! foottrainer.com is the web site, and the tool they sell, and the info along with it is a lifesaver!

When I get up, I go downstairs and do about 5 minutes of foot trainer exercise. Not every day, but I did at first. I have no pain now, ever, and I KNOW it is because of strengthening my extensors using this tool!

Most of our modern ills are caused by a lack of STRENGTH- no flexibility, not 'Cardio'- just plain muscle weakness!! The Foot trainer addresses this, in the realm of foot weakness.

Sincerely,

Jay the Postman

Re: I suggest using foot trainer!

Pete R on 9/12/02 at 06:51 (095106)

Sounds too good to be true. How long did it take before you got any benefit from the FT's ?

PS You're not an FT salesman are you ?

Re: I suggest using it too!

Pamela S on 9/12/02 at 12:09 (095142)

It really does help. ... and no, I don't sell them, but I have one.

Pete R on 9/12/02 at 13:54 (095145)

I have one myself but have never found any real benefit

Mike W on 9/12/02 at 14:08 (095149)

Hello Pete,

The Foot Trainer exercises are not too good to be true and they have helped hundreds of people get 100% pain free and back to an active lifestyle.

I know that you tried them and did not get results however you did not give them a fair chance and probably performed the exercises incorrectly. There should never be any pain felt while performing them.

I realize your frustration but instead of being negative you should be happy that someone has healed up and is now pain free.

Regards,

Mike W
FT salesman

Carrie on 9/12/02 at 20:22 (095200)

What on earth is this? is it expensive?

BrianG on 9/12/02 at 21:06 (095202)

Hi Carrie,

Just follow the link from the original poster, http://www.foottrainer.com

BrianG

Leon S. on 9/13/02 at 16:29 (095270)

I have a general question for fellow PFers. After looking at the 'Foot Trainer' web site, I was wondering if something I decided to try yesterday is any good. I took two, 5 lb. weights and put them on the floor under my feet while I sat in a chair and rolled my feet across the handles which kneaded the muscles and other stuff in the bottom of my feet. It didn't make me feel any better or worse after one time but I'm curious if anyone knows whether that is a beneficial exercise?

Pete R on 9/15/02 at 11:02 (095366)

I was performing a couple of the exercises wrong because your instructions were incorrect, something you admitted when I e mailed you. I assume your instruction manual has now been corrected so others are not affected in the same way.

I'm extremely pleased someone else is pain free and you shouldn't question what is MY personal view. My cynicism comes from reading a note from someone who to my knowledge has not posted recently or at all. I note he has not returned to answer my question.

Jay B. on 9/15/02 at 14:06 (095371)

I saw no need to reply- I have stated my results, and they speak for themselves!

Most people don't have the proper info to keep themselves pain free, #1, and they also need the gumption to follow through with the often hard and painful process of regularly training hard and intensively, #2.

Even when they have #1, most people would rather suffer forever rather than work regularly at #2! (Just think of all the legions of incredibly out-of-shape people there are in the US- it's not, for the most part, a lack of KNOWLEDGE!

Anyway, I'm pleased with the heel trainer- simple and functional- it solves a real problem, for those willing to WORK with it!
Jay

Jay B. on 9/15/02 at 17:22 (095377)

It didn't do anything, boy! You've got to work the extensors ( the muscles that extend the toes upwards.)

Put the weights on TOP of your toes, and extend upwards- that'll do something!

Jay

Carrie on 9/15/02 at 18:24 (095380)

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but I find that it could be pretty offensive, for your info I am in very great shape and have always trained hard, I want to know how this can be the answer when in fact it has been the source of my problem.

Why so mean in your post? I sure would rather work hard than be in pain, so I find that to be offenseive!

Re: Carrie

Julie on 9/16/02 at 02:17 (095396)

Hang on, Carrie. Please try not to take people's posts so personally. I agree that Jay may not have expressed himself as kindly as you'd like, but he was really only making a general observation, not delivering a personal criticism.

In his first post he was taking the trouble to inform people about a tool that has been helpful to him. Others here, including Dr Z, who recommends it to his patients, also think the Foot Trainer is a good and helpful device. I do too. Why don't you have a look at the website, if you haven't already?

Re: Carrie & Julie

Pete R on 9/16/02 at 02:50 (095398)

I'm with you on this one Carrie, our great FT cured person is being extremely arrogant. His response 'my results speak for themselves-I saw no reason to reply' was the reply I got to my question. Says everything.

Anyway what is he on about 'weights on top of the toes'.....there are no weights !!!

Julie on 9/16/02 at 04:37 (095400)

Pete, the 'weights' Jay refers to are the weights Leon was rolling the soles of his feet on. The thread did get a bit confusing there.

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 18:01 (095565)

Sorry if I seemed to get a little bit upset here, and yeah I just thought that the generalization that no one in this country is willing to work hard to get better was kind of rude. Maybe I should have just kept that thought to myself but still, I felt that and feel that most of us are not lazy and are willing to work hard to get well. BUt if working hard equates to spending lots of $$$ than yeah, maybe some of us are not wanting to work hard!

Take care
sorry if that upset anyone and yeah sure I think if it helped him that is great but no need to critisize or make big assumptions about all of the people with pf either.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 18:02 (095566)

Hi Pete,

Yeah didn't mean to get upset but geeze I don't know, sometimes!

take care
Carrie

Leon S. on 9/17/02 at 18:50 (095571)

How did I get into the middle of this?

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 22:09 (095588)

Hey what are you in the middle of? I didn't mean to get all worked up, geeze I guess I was being very sensitive.

hugs
C

Re: Leon & Carrie

Julie on 9/18/02 at 02:35 (095595)

Leon

You got into the middle of this by posting your observation about rolling your feet on weights in the middle of the thread about the foot trainer. Carrie responded to Jay with a protest about his attitude. Jay responded to you, saying you should put your toes under the weights. The two had nothing to do with each other. This sometimes happens when a thread gets long and strays from the original poster's point. It would have been better if you had started a new thread to make your rolling-on-weights observation. No reproof intended - just an observation!

Now you are probably even more confused.

Carrie, there was no need for you to apologise. Scott has only one rule for these message boards: Be Nice. I agree with you that Jay was anything but 'Nice' in his post about people not being willing to work; it was dismissive and rather intolerant. But it would have been better ignored, and I meant simply to caution you against taking people's general remarks personally.

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 08:08 (095610)

Brian thanks for the link.

For $70 dollars I would think you could do that exact same stretching motion without that tool and it would be free. I cannot believe that the tool would be that much different than stretching would be by itself. Maybe though it is more motivating to use this item I do not know. I also have found that a tennis ball in a long stocking is great to roll under my feet and it is basically free too. My therapist gave it to me. I think if we do the stretches that Julie suggested and also there are a million others, my PT gave me a whole sheet of them, we can do this without going broke. I for one, between orthotics, new shoes, etc etc have already spent a ton of money on this PF !

hugs
C

Jay B. on 9/18/02 at 08:30 (095612)

It's meant to be a strengthening tool, not a stretching tool. I found that over-aggressive stretching only made the problem worse!

Hey, sorry if I offended anyone- I'm just trying to help out here. That's all I have to say- I'm now gone- good luck to you all, but remember- strengthen, not stretch.

Jay

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 08:34 (095613)

Jay

Hey thanks for the advice, are you the one that origanly posted to me about this? Anyhow I am curious then what would be a good stregnthening exercise that is not going to cost money. I am sure there are free things that would work as effectively. I am big into stregnth training so would love to hear more.

hugs
C

Jay B. on 9/18/02 at 09:43 (095615)

You could use a pulley over the top of your instep, if you have one available. Bowflex works, or else use a weight stack.

Cheapest is an isometric contraction, again contacting the top of your instep with the bottom of a low railing- push upwards for about 10 second, using your extensor muscles...

But really, the foot trainer is so much more versatile and convenient- it is well worth it, and it does come with a money back guarantee- I thouhgt I might use that, but I wouldn't give mine up! (I won't even loan it out to friends- it's my little talisman against plantar fascitis.
Jay

Re: Stretching and strengthening

Julie on 9/18/02 at 09:49 (095617)

Both are important.

The Foot Trainer is an excellent strengthening aid. I don't believe it is all that is needed, however: lengthening a shortened gastroc/soleus/achilles complex is vital too - in a great many cases if not in all.

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 10:20 (095620)

Maybe I will spend the money to get one but I just don't know, I probably can find things that I could do at the gym to help. I am curious if my spinning over the last year had anything to do with making things worse. What do you think?

Hugs
C

Julie on 9/18/02 at 14:00 (095624)

Carrie, I don't know anything about spinning, so I can't answer this question. I think I've said already that you need to pay close attention to what your feet are telling you, to make sure, with the help of your podiatrist, that you know exactly what has caused your PF (high heels and running without enough stretching are possibly high on the agenda) and take sensible steps to address these causes.

It concerns me that your natural bent is to rely on the gym and on 'doing' more and more (i.e. the 'millions of stretches' you refer to in a recent post).

I think you need to slow down. 'Doing' is not always the answer.

pala on 9/18/02 at 17:13 (095638)

how exactly do you use the tennis ball in the stocking. i use a tennis ball as suggested by my pt but the stocking idea sounds interesting too.

cindyp on 9/18/02 at 21:34 (095673)

my experience was swelling and today it still looks a little bigger when comparing to the other foot. it sometimes even now after over a year feels as if it is swelling or a blood flow issue? takes a long time to feel good so hang in there. dont'rush yourself.

Carrie on 9/19/02 at 00:27 (095685)

I am pretty into working out and I will not give it up, but what I am doing now I think is pretty safe and realisitic. I think to give up working out would be foolish however, I really don't do millions of stretches, if I ever said that it was really really an exageration or a genral statement. Trust me I do not do million of stretches ever. I probably do them periodically through the day though at my desk at work and in the am and at night but they are pretty safe and easy ones, nothing radical. I try to swim laps 3x a week and I try to lift wieghts 2x a week. I have been over wieght and maybe that fear of being that way again is a big part of what drives me, as well as my concern about my figure and keeping it. Vanity is an issue for me, but I also do the exercise as a way of relieving stress. I cannot believe that working it out is bad. I have given up so much already, and really am ok with it, but the swimming always makes me feel better in general.

hugs
C

Julie on 9/19/02 at 01:15 (095690)

Carry on then, Carrie, with whatever you're doing, as long as it helps you. Just please be sure it really is helping you. Listen to your body.

Pete R on 9/12/02 at 06:51 (095106)

Sounds too good to be true. How long did it take before you got any benefit from the FT's ?

PS You're not an FT salesman are you ?

Pamela S on 9/12/02 at 12:09 (095142)

It really does help. ... and no, I don't sell them, but I have one.

Pete R on 9/12/02 at 13:54 (095145)

I have one myself but have never found any real benefit

Mike W on 9/12/02 at 14:08 (095149)

Hello Pete,

The Foot Trainer exercises are not too good to be true and they have helped hundreds of people get 100% pain free and back to an active lifestyle.

I know that you tried them and did not get results however you did not give them a fair chance and probably performed the exercises incorrectly. There should never be any pain felt while performing them.

I realize your frustration but instead of being negative you should be happy that someone has healed up and is now pain free.

Regards,

Mike W
FT salesman

Carrie on 9/12/02 at 20:22 (095200)

What on earth is this? is it expensive?

BrianG on 9/12/02 at 21:06 (095202)

Hi Carrie,

Just follow the link from the original poster, http://www.foottrainer.com

BrianG

Leon S. on 9/13/02 at 16:29 (095270)

I have a general question for fellow PFers. After looking at the 'Foot Trainer' web site, I was wondering if something I decided to try yesterday is any good. I took two, 5 lb. weights and put them on the floor under my feet while I sat in a chair and rolled my feet across the handles which kneaded the muscles and other stuff in the bottom of my feet. It didn't make me feel any better or worse after one time but I'm curious if anyone knows whether that is a beneficial exercise?

Pete R on 9/15/02 at 11:02 (095366)

I was performing a couple of the exercises wrong because your instructions were incorrect, something you admitted when I e mailed you. I assume your instruction manual has now been corrected so others are not affected in the same way.

I'm extremely pleased someone else is pain free and you shouldn't question what is MY personal view. My cynicism comes from reading a note from someone who to my knowledge has not posted recently or at all. I note he has not returned to answer my question.

Jay B. on 9/15/02 at 14:06 (095371)

I saw no need to reply- I have stated my results, and they speak for themselves!

Most people don't have the proper info to keep themselves pain free, #1, and they also need the gumption to follow through with the often hard and painful process of regularly training hard and intensively, #2.

Even when they have #1, most people would rather suffer forever rather than work regularly at #2! (Just think of all the legions of incredibly out-of-shape people there are in the US- it's not, for the most part, a lack of KNOWLEDGE!

Anyway, I'm pleased with the heel trainer- simple and functional- it solves a real problem, for those willing to WORK with it!
Jay

Jay B. on 9/15/02 at 17:22 (095377)

It didn't do anything, boy! You've got to work the extensors ( the muscles that extend the toes upwards.)

Put the weights on TOP of your toes, and extend upwards- that'll do something!

Jay

Carrie on 9/15/02 at 18:24 (095380)

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but I find that it could be pretty offensive, for your info I am in very great shape and have always trained hard, I want to know how this can be the answer when in fact it has been the source of my problem.

Why so mean in your post? I sure would rather work hard than be in pain, so I find that to be offenseive!

Julie on 9/16/02 at 02:17 (095396)

Hang on, Carrie. Please try not to take people's posts so personally. I agree that Jay may not have expressed himself as kindly as you'd like, but he was really only making a general observation, not delivering a personal criticism.

In his first post he was taking the trouble to inform people about a tool that has been helpful to him. Others here, including Dr Z, who recommends it to his patients, also think the Foot Trainer is a good and helpful device. I do too. Why don't you have a look at the website, if you haven't already?

Pete R on 9/16/02 at 02:50 (095398)

I'm with you on this one Carrie, our great FT cured person is being extremely arrogant. His response 'my results speak for themselves-I saw no reason to reply' was the reply I got to my question. Says everything.

Anyway what is he on about 'weights on top of the toes'.....there are no weights !!!

Julie on 9/16/02 at 04:37 (095400)

Pete, the 'weights' Jay refers to are the weights Leon was rolling the soles of his feet on. The thread did get a bit confusing there.

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 18:01 (095565)

Sorry if I seemed to get a little bit upset here, and yeah I just thought that the generalization that no one in this country is willing to work hard to get better was kind of rude. Maybe I should have just kept that thought to myself but still, I felt that and feel that most of us are not lazy and are willing to work hard to get well. BUt if working hard equates to spending lots of $$$ than yeah, maybe some of us are not wanting to work hard!

Take care
sorry if that upset anyone and yeah sure I think if it helped him that is great but no need to critisize or make big assumptions about all of the people with pf either.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 18:02 (095566)

Hi Pete,

Yeah didn't mean to get upset but geeze I don't know, sometimes!

take care
Carrie

Leon S. on 9/17/02 at 18:50 (095571)

How did I get into the middle of this?

Carrie on 9/17/02 at 22:09 (095588)

Hey what are you in the middle of? I didn't mean to get all worked up, geeze I guess I was being very sensitive.

hugs
C

Re: Leon & Carrie

Julie on 9/18/02 at 02:35 (095595)

Leon

You got into the middle of this by posting your observation about rolling your feet on weights in the middle of the thread about the foot trainer. Carrie responded to Jay with a protest about his attitude. Jay responded to you, saying you should put your toes under the weights. The two had nothing to do with each other. This sometimes happens when a thread gets long and strays from the original poster's point. It would have been better if you had started a new thread to make your rolling-on-weights observation. No reproof intended - just an observation!

Now you are probably even more confused.

Carrie, there was no need for you to apologise. Scott has only one rule for these message boards: Be Nice. I agree with you that Jay was anything but 'Nice' in his post about people not being willing to work; it was dismissive and rather intolerant. But it would have been better ignored, and I meant simply to caution you against taking people's general remarks personally.

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 08:08 (095610)

Brian thanks for the link.

For $70 dollars I would think you could do that exact same stretching motion without that tool and it would be free. I cannot believe that the tool would be that much different than stretching would be by itself. Maybe though it is more motivating to use this item I do not know. I also have found that a tennis ball in a long stocking is great to roll under my feet and it is basically free too. My therapist gave it to me. I think if we do the stretches that Julie suggested and also there are a million others, my PT gave me a whole sheet of them, we can do this without going broke. I for one, between orthotics, new shoes, etc etc have already spent a ton of money on this PF !

hugs
C

Jay B. on 9/18/02 at 08:30 (095612)

It's meant to be a strengthening tool, not a stretching tool. I found that over-aggressive stretching only made the problem worse!

Hey, sorry if I offended anyone- I'm just trying to help out here. That's all I have to say- I'm now gone- good luck to you all, but remember- strengthen, not stretch.

Jay

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 08:34 (095613)

Jay

Hey thanks for the advice, are you the one that origanly posted to me about this? Anyhow I am curious then what would be a good stregnthening exercise that is not going to cost money. I am sure there are free things that would work as effectively. I am big into stregnth training so would love to hear more.

hugs
C

Jay B. on 9/18/02 at 09:43 (095615)

You could use a pulley over the top of your instep, if you have one available. Bowflex works, or else use a weight stack.

Cheapest is an isometric contraction, again contacting the top of your instep with the bottom of a low railing- push upwards for about 10 second, using your extensor muscles...

But really, the foot trainer is so much more versatile and convenient- it is well worth it, and it does come with a money back guarantee- I thouhgt I might use that, but I wouldn't give mine up! (I won't even loan it out to friends- it's my little talisman against plantar fascitis.
Jay

Julie on 9/18/02 at 09:49 (095617)

Both are important.

The Foot Trainer is an excellent strengthening aid. I don't believe it is all that is needed, however: lengthening a shortened gastroc/soleus/achilles complex is vital too - in a great many cases if not in all.

Carrie on 9/18/02 at 10:20 (095620)

Maybe I will spend the money to get one but I just don't know, I probably can find things that I could do at the gym to help. I am curious if my spinning over the last year had anything to do with making things worse. What do you think?

Hugs
C

Julie on 9/18/02 at 14:00 (095624)

Carrie, I don't know anything about spinning, so I can't answer this question. I think I've said already that you need to pay close attention to what your feet are telling you, to make sure, with the help of your podiatrist, that you know exactly what has caused your PF (high heels and running without enough stretching are possibly high on the agenda) and take sensible steps to address these causes.

It concerns me that your natural bent is to rely on the gym and on 'doing' more and more (i.e. the 'millions of stretches' you refer to in a recent post).

I think you need to slow down. 'Doing' is not always the answer.

pala on 9/18/02 at 17:13 (095638)

how exactly do you use the tennis ball in the stocking. i use a tennis ball as suggested by my pt but the stocking idea sounds interesting too.

cindyp on 9/18/02 at 21:34 (095673)

my experience was swelling and today it still looks a little bigger when comparing to the other foot. it sometimes even now after over a year feels as if it is swelling or a blood flow issue? takes a long time to feel good so hang in there. dont'rush yourself.

Carrie on 9/19/02 at 00:27 (095685)

I am pretty into working out and I will not give it up, but what I am doing now I think is pretty safe and realisitic. I think to give up working out would be foolish however, I really don't do millions of stretches, if I ever said that it was really really an exageration or a genral statement. Trust me I do not do million of stretches ever. I probably do them periodically through the day though at my desk at work and in the am and at night but they are pretty safe and easy ones, nothing radical. I try to swim laps 3x a week and I try to lift wieghts 2x a week. I have been over wieght and maybe that fear of being that way again is a big part of what drives me, as well as my concern about my figure and keeping it. Vanity is an issue for me, but I also do the exercise as a way of relieving stress. I cannot believe that working it out is bad. I have given up so much already, and really am ok with it, but the swimming always makes me feel better in general.

hugs
C

Julie on 9/19/02 at 01:15 (095690)

Carry on then, Carrie, with whatever you're doing, as long as it helps you. Just please be sure it really is helping you. Listen to your body.