Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesmoiditis

Posted by Nora G on 9/12/02 at 23:21 (095212)

How do you treat sesmoiditis?

Re: sesmoiditis

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 9/13/02 at 11:14 (095244)

Hi Nora:
Avoid high heels, thicker soled shoes with a dipsersion pad to take pressure off the sesamoids. Anti-inflammatories also help but altering the type of shoes and or exercise will help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

pala on 9/13/02 at 13:17 (095255)

where do i buy a dispersion pad from?

Mar on 9/15/02 at 20:32 (095386)

I would get to a pod as soon as possible and get treatment for the sesamoiditis. I have chronic sesamoiditis because my original pod kept telling me to give it time to heal and did nothing for it. Now nothing seems to work to clear it up. It is constantly painful and along with PF that I developed trying not to walk on the sesamoid, I can hardly walk at all. So -- get help fast! Mar

Dr. Z on 9/15/02 at 21:09 (095389)

Some comments about sesamoiditis. This will usually clear up with local steriod injection. Taping with padding. Plastizole padding. Very rare to have this both feet. Mar I believe you had foot surgery. Sesamoiditis from bunion surgery is usually due to damage to the sesamoid/ first met complex. Restriction of motion 2nd to bunion surgery or a first ray plantarflexion., Do you have anything like I have described above. Is yours both feet.? How is the range of motion of your big toe joint. What is the status of the fat padding under the sesamoid bones.?? What treatments have been used for your sesamoiditis ?

Mar on 9/16/02 at 12:32 (095443)

Dr Z --

Yes, I had bunion surgery (right foot)a year and a half ago (March 2001.) I was in a lot of pain and swelling. The pod who did the surgery kept telling me to give it time to heal so I went 7 months before he finally gave me a cortisone shot, which did not help at all. (No other treatments or exercises were prescribed this entire time.) Then he thought I had a stress fracture which I did not. I switched pods (November 2001), had a CT, and found that I had a bipartite sesamoid that was inflammed. I have been icing it since then (11 months), had 2 more cortisone shots there (no help), took medrol twice, accomodations in orthotics. I can't take NSAIDS or pain killers, except aspirin, which doesn;t seem to help. Basically the pain starts there and spreads all across the ball of the foot. Somedays the pain is not too bad, other days it is severe. Heat and humidity are not good. My pod says my fat pads are normal. My range of motion is pretty decent. He says the body is treating the sesamoiditis as a foreign object. I have bipartite sesamoids in both feet, but sesamoiditis only in the right foot. The PF pain is far worse however, and I am sure hoping to be able to resolve that first. My ESWT doc thought that the ESWT might also help the sesamoiditis. So far it hasn't helped anything, but I am remaining hopeful. Thanks for your interest -- do you have any suggestions????? I am so tired of being in pain and being leading a sedentary life style -- ok, I'll stop whining. Thanks Mar

SusieH on 9/16/02 at 13:31 (095459)

My son was recently diagnosed with a fractured sesimoid in his right foot. The physician recommended waiting 6 weeks to see if any changes. If there is no change, then surgery recommended. If the pain is Moderate to High is surgery the only way to heal this type of fracture? What long term problems can arise if surgery is done? Thank you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 9/13/02 at 11:14 (095244)

Hi Nora:
Avoid high heels, thicker soled shoes with a dipsersion pad to take pressure off the sesamoids. Anti-inflammatories also help but altering the type of shoes and or exercise will help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

pala on 9/13/02 at 13:17 (095255)

where do i buy a dispersion pad from?

Mar on 9/15/02 at 20:32 (095386)

I would get to a pod as soon as possible and get treatment for the sesamoiditis. I have chronic sesamoiditis because my original pod kept telling me to give it time to heal and did nothing for it. Now nothing seems to work to clear it up. It is constantly painful and along with PF that I developed trying not to walk on the sesamoid, I can hardly walk at all. So -- get help fast! Mar

Dr. Z on 9/15/02 at 21:09 (095389)

Some comments about sesamoiditis. This will usually clear up with local steriod injection. Taping with padding. Plastizole padding. Very rare to have this both feet. Mar I believe you had foot surgery. Sesamoiditis from bunion surgery is usually due to damage to the sesamoid/ first met complex. Restriction of motion 2nd to bunion surgery or a first ray plantarflexion., Do you have anything like I have described above. Is yours both feet.? How is the range of motion of your big toe joint. What is the status of the fat padding under the sesamoid bones.?? What treatments have been used for your sesamoiditis ?

Mar on 9/16/02 at 12:32 (095443)

Dr Z --

Yes, I had bunion surgery (right foot)a year and a half ago (March 2001.) I was in a lot of pain and swelling. The pod who did the surgery kept telling me to give it time to heal so I went 7 months before he finally gave me a cortisone shot, which did not help at all. (No other treatments or exercises were prescribed this entire time.) Then he thought I had a stress fracture which I did not. I switched pods (November 2001), had a CT, and found that I had a bipartite sesamoid that was inflammed. I have been icing it since then (11 months), had 2 more cortisone shots there (no help), took medrol twice, accomodations in orthotics. I can't take NSAIDS or pain killers, except aspirin, which doesn;t seem to help. Basically the pain starts there and spreads all across the ball of the foot. Somedays the pain is not too bad, other days it is severe. Heat and humidity are not good. My pod says my fat pads are normal. My range of motion is pretty decent. He says the body is treating the sesamoiditis as a foreign object. I have bipartite sesamoids in both feet, but sesamoiditis only in the right foot. The PF pain is far worse however, and I am sure hoping to be able to resolve that first. My ESWT doc thought that the ESWT might also help the sesamoiditis. So far it hasn't helped anything, but I am remaining hopeful. Thanks for your interest -- do you have any suggestions????? I am so tired of being in pain and being leading a sedentary life style -- ok, I'll stop whining. Thanks Mar

SusieH on 9/16/02 at 13:31 (095459)

My son was recently diagnosed with a fractured sesimoid in his right foot. The physician recommended waiting 6 weeks to see if any changes. If there is no change, then surgery recommended. If the pain is Moderate to High is surgery the only way to heal this type of fracture? What long term problems can arise if surgery is done? Thank you.

April on 4/17/06 at 07:04 (197589)

To tag onto the questions you had for this person. I have just been diagnosed with Sesamoiditis from bunion surgery, they damaged my first met, by shaving to much of the bone off and they didn't align my big toe properly, so I have hardly any range of motion. They had no idea what was wrong with my toe and why I had no range of motion and they had sent me to months of excruciating physical therapy, where they pulled, tugged, pushed my toe in a million different ways. Then come to find out another doctor realized that the bone had not healed from the surgery and the physical therapy made the scare tissue worse and I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks and a walking cast for another 4 weeks. Now I still have no range of motion and I'm getting another opinion on what to do for treatment. They are telling me they cannot do surgery to help fix it and I have to get special orthotics inserts. Not sure if you have any suggestions.

Mar on 4/18/06 at 15:38 (197666)

What caused your sesamoiditis is different from my situation. The only thing that has helped me is time (years) and being very careful not to put too much pressure on it. My walking and standing are very limited due to chronic bilateral PF, so that has finally given the sesamoiditis a chance to ease. I only wear Clark clogs and sandals or birkis. Good luck with your problem. My heart goes out to you.

Ted on 11/07/07 at 15:54 (239124)

It is possible sesamoiditis originated from chemical exposure to disenfectants in a locker room facility. If you notice skin damage (loose skin) that is very abnormal for your age, then this could be the culprit.

Patty M on 7/29/09 at 13:09 (259232)

I too developed sesmoiditis after bunion surgery and am desparate as to what can be done. Too painful to walk or stand for any period of time. Removing the sesmoid sounds tricky. Can anyone help?