Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I guess I am lucky!

Posted by Selina G on 9/13/02 at 18:13 (095281)

I've been reading some of the posts by people who have had surgery in the past several months, and I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. 9 weeks ago today I had a medial calcaneal osteotomy, a medial cuneiform osteotomy, and an achilles tendon lengthening, all in the hopes of relieving the numerous problems (including PF) caused by my congenital flat feet. I started weight-bearing last Tuesday in a removable cast with crutches, and I have worked my way up to walking unassisted with whatever shoes into which I can actually squeeze my still swollen foot. My only real pain is in my knee from my altered gait, although there is still a little stiffness in my foot and ankle. I'm back at the gym, and the doctor does not think I need PT since I am regaining mobility quite well on my own.

I am praying for all of you who are still suffering, and I hope that one day soon you will all be as fortunate as I have been with my results.

Re: I guess I am lucky!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/14/02 at 11:57 (095321)

Selina:

Perhaps 'luck' is a good way to look at it since we really cannot explain why surgery works and why it does not, complications aside. Surgery can provide very dramatic relief for a lot of patients but we just cannot predict which patients it will work for ahead of time. That is why we emphasize conservative treatment. For some, going through months or years of conservative treatment without relief can be a far worse thing than surgery.
Ed

Re: I guess I am lucky!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/14/02 at 11:57 (095321)

Selina:

Perhaps 'luck' is a good way to look at it since we really cannot explain why surgery works and why it does not, complications aside. Surgery can provide very dramatic relief for a lot of patients but we just cannot predict which patients it will work for ahead of time. That is why we emphasize conservative treatment. For some, going through months or years of conservative treatment without relief can be a far worse thing than surgery.
Ed