Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ann-Marie, how did it go?

Posted by BrianG on 9/13/02 at 18:48 (095287)

Hi Ann-Marie,

It's been a couple days now, I figure you must have had at least one heel done. How about an update when your feeling up to it.

Hope your doing well,
BrianG

Re: Ann-Marie, how did it go?

Ann-Marie on 9/17/02 at 13:30 (095541)

Hi, Brian!!!
And thanks again for your concern, you are really a super guy!
Yes, I did have the surgery, and after asking LOTS and LOTS of questions the day before at my pre-op appointment, I opted to have both feet done. I had it done on Thursday the 12th of September. I am suprised that the pain has not been worse. It was difficult the second day to make it to the bathroom, but I switched from using the crutches to usin my Pop's old walker, which provided more stability and comfort when getting up and moving about.
Each day seems to get a little easier, as long as I do not try to overdue it. When I lay with my feet propped up, I feel like I can do anything. Then I try, and I realize it has only been FOUR DAYS since my surgery.
The incisions are looking good, and after I shower each day, using a shower chair (and with plastic bags duct taped around my feet), my roommate cleans the wounds with peroxide, and applies neosporine to the wound (per Dr.'s instructions). Each day, they are looking better.
I started walking on my tip-toes at first, but am gradually walking on more of the foot...
Will keep you informed!
And thanks again to you, Brian and to ALL of you who have cared enough to write!
Love, Ann-Marie

Maggie L. on 9/17/02 at 18:11 (095567)

Glad you're doing so well. So, are you not in any kind of cast or anything? And you're allowed to be weight bearing on both of your feet right away? What exactly did you have done, again?

I'm just jealous (and curious) as I sit here in my non weight bearing cast.

Re: Good deal !!

BrianG on 9/17/02 at 22:07 (095586)

I'm glad that you made the right decision for you, and that you have people that can help you. I took some mega doses of Vit. C after my surgery, which I believe helped in my healing. I also used the Neosporin too. Watch your feet for infection, take your temp every day. If you think your getting an infection, call your doc asap, do not wait!!!!

It's time to rest, stay off your feet as long as possible. Like everyone says, listen to your feet, they will tell you when it's time to do more, or do less. I wish you the best, and I hope you prove me wrong!!! :*)

BrianG

Ann-Marie on 9/18/02 at 09:53 (095618)

Hi Maggie!
I had bi-lateral plantar facia release. The doctor did not put me in a cast,and I asked him about that the day before surgery. He said I can be weight bearing as the pain permitted. He also said that the only thing that they were concerned about was infection at the incision site and that the release of the planar facia does not require restriction of weight bearing, because he did not cut into any bone, just the tendon.
What did you have done? And how long ago?
I pray that you are up and around VERY soon!
-Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie on 9/18/02 at 09:59 (095619)

Hi Brian!!!
Thanks again for your concern! And thanks for reminding me about vitamin C. How much did you take and how often? I bought a big bottle before surgery and started taking about 1000mg three times a day, but I forgot about it after surgery.
Talk to ya soon!
:-)
Ann-Marie

Maggie L. on 9/18/02 at 11:46 (095622)

Interesting. I had partial fascia release on my right foot (open, not endoscopic) on September 6th. At the end of the surgery I was put in a splint. A week later, splint came off, cast went on. A week later (this Friday) the cast comes off, stitches come out, and nothing goes back on. At that point I give it another week non-weightbearing, and then I slowly commence with the weight, until I am walking without crutches, in about two more weeks (for a total of 5 weeks from surgery to walking without aid). If it sounds like I know the routine, it's 'cause I had my left foot done in June. Maybe my Pod just plays it ultra safe, but I really don't think I could have put any weight on it before I started to.

There must be something else fundamentally different about our surgerys, don't you think? Does anyone else know? It's kind of academic at this point - we've both already had our surgeries done, but it might be helpful for others... Take care!

Julie on 9/18/02 at 14:05 (095625)

Maggie, please take this as a guess. My impression, from two years of reading about people's experiences, is that PF/TTS post-operative instructions vary wildly from surgeon to surgeon. Not so much from surgery to surgery, more from surgeon to surgeon.

My opinion (based on no experience, only reading of others' experience and what seems to me like common sense) is that weight-bearing so soon after surgery is asking for trouble, and that your gradual progression has to be a better, safer way to proceed.

BrianG on 9/18/02 at 14:58 (095630)

I think your in the ball game. If you take too much it will give you gas, and / or a stomach ache. So much stuff to remember........ :*)

BrianG

Joe S on 9/18/02 at 21:33 (095672)

Just a word of caution. Excessive walking can delay healing of the incision especially on the medial heel. You can pop the stitches open. So be careful. You do not want to develop an infection in this area. They are a bear to deal with. Glad to hear that you are doing well. Hopefully, you will be one of the successful ones. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Ann-Marie on 9/17/02 at 13:30 (095541)

Hi, Brian!!!
And thanks again for your concern, you are really a super guy!
Yes, I did have the surgery, and after asking LOTS and LOTS of questions the day before at my pre-op appointment, I opted to have both feet done. I had it done on Thursday the 12th of September. I am suprised that the pain has not been worse. It was difficult the second day to make it to the bathroom, but I switched from using the crutches to usin my Pop's old walker, which provided more stability and comfort when getting up and moving about.
Each day seems to get a little easier, as long as I do not try to overdue it. When I lay with my feet propped up, I feel like I can do anything. Then I try, and I realize it has only been FOUR DAYS since my surgery.
The incisions are looking good, and after I shower each day, using a shower chair (and with plastic bags duct taped around my feet), my roommate cleans the wounds with peroxide, and applies neosporine to the wound (per Dr.'s instructions). Each day, they are looking better.
I started walking on my tip-toes at first, but am gradually walking on more of the foot...
Will keep you informed!
And thanks again to you, Brian and to ALL of you who have cared enough to write!
Love, Ann-Marie

Maggie L. on 9/17/02 at 18:11 (095567)

Glad you're doing so well. So, are you not in any kind of cast or anything? And you're allowed to be weight bearing on both of your feet right away? What exactly did you have done, again?

I'm just jealous (and curious) as I sit here in my non weight bearing cast.

BrianG on 9/17/02 at 22:07 (095586)

I'm glad that you made the right decision for you, and that you have people that can help you. I took some mega doses of Vit. C after my surgery, which I believe helped in my healing. I also used the Neosporin too. Watch your feet for infection, take your temp every day. If you think your getting an infection, call your doc asap, do not wait!!!!

It's time to rest, stay off your feet as long as possible. Like everyone says, listen to your feet, they will tell you when it's time to do more, or do less. I wish you the best, and I hope you prove me wrong!!! :*)

BrianG

Ann-Marie on 9/18/02 at 09:53 (095618)

Hi Maggie!
I had bi-lateral plantar facia release. The doctor did not put me in a cast,and I asked him about that the day before surgery. He said I can be weight bearing as the pain permitted. He also said that the only thing that they were concerned about was infection at the incision site and that the release of the planar facia does not require restriction of weight bearing, because he did not cut into any bone, just the tendon.
What did you have done? And how long ago?
I pray that you are up and around VERY soon!
-Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie on 9/18/02 at 09:59 (095619)

Hi Brian!!!
Thanks again for your concern! And thanks for reminding me about vitamin C. How much did you take and how often? I bought a big bottle before surgery and started taking about 1000mg three times a day, but I forgot about it after surgery.
Talk to ya soon!
:-)
Ann-Marie

Maggie L. on 9/18/02 at 11:46 (095622)

Interesting. I had partial fascia release on my right foot (open, not endoscopic) on September 6th. At the end of the surgery I was put in a splint. A week later, splint came off, cast went on. A week later (this Friday) the cast comes off, stitches come out, and nothing goes back on. At that point I give it another week non-weightbearing, and then I slowly commence with the weight, until I am walking without crutches, in about two more weeks (for a total of 5 weeks from surgery to walking without aid). If it sounds like I know the routine, it's 'cause I had my left foot done in June. Maybe my Pod just plays it ultra safe, but I really don't think I could have put any weight on it before I started to.

There must be something else fundamentally different about our surgerys, don't you think? Does anyone else know? It's kind of academic at this point - we've both already had our surgeries done, but it might be helpful for others... Take care!

Julie on 9/18/02 at 14:05 (095625)

Maggie, please take this as a guess. My impression, from two years of reading about people's experiences, is that PF/TTS post-operative instructions vary wildly from surgeon to surgeon. Not so much from surgery to surgery, more from surgeon to surgeon.

My opinion (based on no experience, only reading of others' experience and what seems to me like common sense) is that weight-bearing so soon after surgery is asking for trouble, and that your gradual progression has to be a better, safer way to proceed.

BrianG on 9/18/02 at 14:58 (095630)

I think your in the ball game. If you take too much it will give you gas, and / or a stomach ache. So much stuff to remember........ :*)

BrianG

Joe S on 9/18/02 at 21:33 (095672)

Just a word of caution. Excessive walking can delay healing of the incision especially on the medial heel. You can pop the stitches open. So be careful. You do not want to develop an infection in this area. They are a bear to deal with. Glad to hear that you are doing well. Hopefully, you will be one of the successful ones. Good luck and a speedy recovery.