Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Children and plantar fasciitis

Posted by john d on 9/14/02 at 17:03 (095339)

My little boy is 11 -- a good athlete and very active. For several weeks we've noticed that he tends to limp around early in the morning and after periods of inactivity (e.g., watching TV). He complains that his heel hurts. There's no bruising and he does not recall a specific injury. We've also checked his shoes, which seem to be sized properly. Sounds like it may be plantar fasciitis, which I experienced once years ago. I put plastic arch supports in my running shoes -- then made sure I stretched well before running. Problem solved. Should I try this with my son, or take him to a doctor? He and I have similar arches -- minimal, but not flat-footed. Would this syndrome be common for kids?

Re: Children and plantar fasciitis

Scott R on 9/14/02 at 23:28 (095349)

Your son has sever's disease, not plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. PF is very uncommon in those under about age 25. But active children between the ages of 9 and 14 woten have heel pain because the calcaneous is growing and putting pressure on itself. Rest, ice, and time are the things i would do. If it's bad I'd see a dr.

Annette on 9/15/02 at 13:51 (095370)

my son at age 10-11 had the same problem, I took him to doctor who expained what was going on,( Sever's disease) he is fine now, my 9 year old is now having the same symptoms, but I am sure he will be fine also. Like Scott says rest, ice, and time will help.

John O on 9/16/02 at 11:10 (095432)

Your response might be for another person. I am trying to have my insurance company approve ESWT. Two other HMO's in my area cover the procedure. I am probably one of the first people to request this procedure with Choice Plus HMO and need to send them sound arguements for this procedure.

Re: Hey Scott, another post got misplaced in cyberspace

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 12:41 (095445)

misplaced post

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 12:42 (095447)

cannot respond to John O's post above -- messages getting zapped
Ed

John O on 9/16/02 at 12:47 (095450)

Dr. Davis

Please use my other email (email removed) if you are having email problems

Scott R on 9/14/02 at 23:28 (095349)

Your son has sever's disease, not plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. PF is very uncommon in those under about age 25. But active children between the ages of 9 and 14 woten have heel pain because the calcaneous is growing and putting pressure on itself. Rest, ice, and time are the things i would do. If it's bad I'd see a dr.

Annette on 9/15/02 at 13:51 (095370)

my son at age 10-11 had the same problem, I took him to doctor who expained what was going on,( Sever's disease) he is fine now, my 9 year old is now having the same symptoms, but I am sure he will be fine also. Like Scott says rest, ice, and time will help.

John O on 9/16/02 at 11:10 (095432)

Your response might be for another person. I am trying to have my insurance company approve ESWT. Two other HMO's in my area cover the procedure. I am probably one of the first people to request this procedure with Choice Plus HMO and need to send them sound arguements for this procedure.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 12:41 (095445)

misplaced post

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 12:42 (095447)

cannot respond to John O's post above -- messages getting zapped
Ed

John O on 9/16/02 at 12:47 (095450)

Dr. Davis

Please use my other email (email removed) if you are having email problems