Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fibroma

Posted by Patricia B on 9/14/02 at 20:17 (095344)

In 1987 I had surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from my left foot. I now have what I believe to be a recurrance of the fibroma on the left foot and what may be a smaller one on the right foot. Is it necessary to have surgery soon if it turn out to be fibroma? Niether one causes any pain(unless I push on them) and I am on my feet 4-6 hours a day. Also I would like to know if it is possible to have outpatient surgery for this type of fibroma.

Re: Plantar fibroma

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 10:58 (095428)

Patricia:

Plantar fibromatosis can be treated surgically but there is a fairly high recurrence rate. Most lesions can be shrunk by injecting them with triamcinolone acetonide (Kenalog) and hyaluronidase (Wydase).
Ed

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 06:53 (096306)

Patricia,

I MAY be facing surgery to remove a plantar fibroma that cauing soreness on my heel/arch. It appears that you had this done in 1987.

Can you tell me how your recovery progressed?

6 months after the surgery?
12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Thanks you so much!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 10:58 (095428)

Patricia:

Plantar fibromatosis can be treated surgically but there is a fairly high recurrence rate. Most lesions can be shrunk by injecting them with triamcinolone acetonide (Kenalog) and hyaluronidase (Wydase).
Ed

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 06:53 (096306)

Patricia,

I MAY be facing surgery to remove a plantar fibroma that cauing soreness on my heel/arch. It appears that you had this done in 1987.

Can you tell me how your recovery progressed?

6 months after the surgery?
12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Thanks you so much!