Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP!!!!

Posted by Justine L on 9/15/02 at 23:14 (095395)

I am a registered nurse, on my feet for 10+ hrs/day, w/ rarely a chance to sit down for more than 20'. I have severe pain in my feet, mostly in the middle of the bottom of my feet, located more medially. I have very flat feet, but have never seen a doc for my pain or flat feet. I do have a heel bone that sticks out significantly. On initial inspection, it appears as a callous, but you can clearly feel the bone. I did see a podiatrist in 1989 who at that time recommended surgery where the Achilles tendon would be cut and the bone shaved. I declined, because it involved a cast, and I was preparing to go to nursing school. Now, however, the pain in my feet is so severe that I literally dread going to work. I come home every night and elevating my feet helps a lot. I have tried Dansko shoes (clogs) but have not found them to be comfortable. I am currently wearing Medimex Plogs and Calzuros, both of which are okay, but obviously aren't helping since I have so much pain. Can anyone recommend what the next step should be? Should I try taping my feet while at work? What about Birkenstock clogs? I've heard they are very comfortable, but then I've heard that for flat feet, they aren't good. What about a night splint? Inserts? Any recommendations I would love to hear!!

Justine, RN, BSN

Re: HELP!!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 10:56 (095427)

Justine:

There is a lot to look at. A visit to a podiatrist would be a good place to start --- hopefully a podiatrist who will take a good look at conservative treatments before recommendng surgery.
Ed

Re: HELP!!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/16/02 at 10:56 (095427)

Justine:

There is a lot to look at. A visit to a podiatrist would be a good place to start --- hopefully a podiatrist who will take a good look at conservative treatments before recommendng surgery.
Ed