Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rachel Wooly

Posted by Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 09:16 (095417)

Did you ever get diagnosed properly? I can't remember but when I left the board awhile ago I think you were going to get checked for Fibro or Ankylosing Spond.?
Just curious as to how yo uare now and if you ever got dX'ed.
I hope you are better.

Re: Rachel Wooly

RachelWoolly on 9/16/02 at 11:23 (095433)

Carmen, no still haven't been diagnosed unfortunately.

I saw a different Doctor last week. She seemed a lot more sympathetic than my usual Doctor. She didn't say much but I could see it on her face that she was genuinely concerned.

She said that she would refer me to a rheumatologist so hopefully I'll be seeing one soon and get some answers.

My own Doctor should have referred me months ago or I should have insisted months ago.

The trouble with me is I'm not pushy enough.

Thanks for asking anyway.

Rachel.

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 12:50 (095451)

What are your main symptoms? Do you mind me asking?
I just ask because I know you have a multitude of things going on and I have read extensively on many things...wondering if I could help or if anything jumped out at me that I would recognize.
If you don't want to post anything here I understand.

Re: it's not your fault!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 16:17 (095473)

Your doctor should have referred you months ago. It's not your fault that you didn't insist. People who are not pushy need medical care too!!!!!

This is one of my gripes with medical care. If you are pushy, the doctor acts like 'What do YOU know? I'm the doctor, not you.' But if you are not pushy, then nothing gets done. Grrr. :)

Imagine a room full of patients of all different types, who have only one thing in common... that they are not pushy. Wouldn't you be outraged if they did not get the medical treatment that they sought and need? I would.

I am not very pushy about this type of thing either, but I guess I've settled for obstinate. I just keep coming back and repeating the same things until finally they give up (or I do).

Carole C

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:04 (095515)

Carmen,

O.K. Here we go.

Just around Christmas I was having periods of waking with stiffness and a feeling of bruising is my back and chest. Felt like I'd done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Took no notice as I thought maybe it was the fact that our 3 year old sometimes gets in our bed and I would end up in awkward positions.

In January I got a job as a school kitchen assistant and would whizz around a hard kitchen floor with cheap trainers on 5 hours a day, 5 days a week without a break.

By about middle of February I started to experience pain in heel of my right foot. Carried on working as I didn't want to take any time off as I had only just started the job. I thought I'd wait until the Easter holidays when I would get 2 weeks off.

By the Easter holidays my heel felt very bad and even in those 2 weeks I had off it got from bad to worse. (never went back to work after that. Had to quit).

By beginning of May I started getting pain in the heel of my left foot (not as bad). My Doctor referred me to a foot pod. I saw her about middle of May. She noticed that my left leg was slightly longer than my right leg and gave me an extra heel pad to put in my right shoe. She also sent me in the post after a couple of weeks some orthotics.

After a few days of wearing the orthotics I woke up one morning and my right knee was painful and inflamed and my right elbow was painful.

Went to the Doctors and he sent me for some bloodtests. They came back showing a raised ESR. Went back and was sent for some more bloodtests. Meantime was given steroid injection in right heel. (heel felt bit better)
Next lot of bloodtests came back normal so Doctor didn't want to bother seeing me again.

When the 2nd lot of bloodtests came back normal I wondered whether the pain in my knee was anything to do with the extra heel pad in my right shoe. Contacted Senior pod. as my pod. was on holiday and he said, see how I go without it.

That was back in the beginning of July. I've had another lot of bloodtests since and they too came back normal. I've also had x-rays done on both feet, left ankle and right knee all came back normal.

In the passed 11 months I've had back and chest stiffness in the morning (got worse since), PF in both feet, pain in left ankle, pain in right knee, pain in elbows and pain in wrists.

I don't know whether I have arthritis which has caused the PF or whether the PF and the way I'm walking because of it has caused pains everywhere else.

Its a case of which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Well, I'm now waiting to see a rheumatologist so hopefully I might find something out then.

Thanks for your patience in reading this.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:08 (095516)

I agree with you totally Carole.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:10 (095517)

I thought I'd also mention that the pain in my feet are so bad that I can't walk very far. If I do I suffer badly the next day or two.

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 08:33 (095520)

Wow...sounds like you have a lot going on. But rest assured...you are not crazy & you are not the only one to end up with a series of things in conjunction with pf.
At one point I had burning in my back, glutes, feet...my upper back hurt and my wrists and hands were stinging.
NOW...being a firm believer in panicking (ha ha) I went to the doc and was sent through the blood work and also had many series of tests done; x- rays, mri's, etc only to be told nothing was wrong.

Long story short....all of my things turned out to be related to connective tissue/repetitive stress injuries. My PF still exists but is sooo much better than it ever was..and everything else is fixed.
I tell you that little history to let you know that you probably shouldn't panic...if everything is coming back normal so far...try and relax a little (I know it's hard!) and see if things calm down. One major thing I realized about my problems were that the minute I got worked up or stressed...my whole body tensed up and things started to hurt so much worse. Well I would stay in that stressed and tensed position for so long the next few days after were just brutal on my body!

Also are you sure it's actually JOINT pain and not muscular pain?
I have heard in more extreme cases that PF can be known to throw off the way our body functions even in the upper extremities.
A lot of tightness in the chest area can be caused from anxiety as well. Have you ever had a panic attack or a history of anxiety that you recognize?
Because you are having all of these things happen...doesn't mean that they are all from one related thing. It's possible you are having individual reactions to many things. Upper extremities from typing, lower extremities from running around the kitchen floor with bad shoes...chest and back from anxiety. It's just a thought but it's not impossible.
I can't offer much help as your symptoms don't go together with anything I have read...but I want you to be able to relax a little and know that you are not alone....
Do you do any stretching or relaxation exercises and are you sleeping enough?

Re: It's the DOCTOR'S responsibility!

Sharon W on 9/17/02 at 09:47 (095529)

Carole,

Sorry to jump in but I just have to comment on your post. Neither Rachel, nor ANYONE, who isn't 'pushy' or insistent, should have their complaints and/or pain and/or symptoms and/or requests ignored!! It is the doctor's JOB to listen to your symptoms and consider them seriously, to make an appropriate examination and order appropriate tests to do their very best to get an ACCURATE diagnosis. And if it appears the problem is not something within that doctor's area of expertise, then it is that doctor's OBLIGATION (it's even in their Hippocratic Oath!) to refer the patient on to someone else.

It makes me SO mad, when doctors act like they are doing FAVORS to their patients, just by seeing them. I would never buy in a boutique who gave me that kind of 'attitude,' even if I had fallen in love with something I'd seen in the window. And I would never return to a doctor who acted like that, either.

Sharon

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:22 (095544)

Carmen, I think I get enough sleep but it is broken every night because of my youngest who's nearly 4 now.

I think he's slept through the night about 2 or 3 times since he was born.

I must admit that I don't excercise. I used to walk quite a lot and was quite active especially having 5 children to look after prior to all this but I'm not doing a lot now obviously. I'm going to start swimming I think.

You maybe right about the anxiety. When I first started that job I hated it. I felt like I was racing against the clock all the time. There was just the two of us cooking for 125 children. I used to sometimes get palpatations. I haven't had any of that though since I quit.

My husband has recently bought me a magnetic copper bracelet. It was yesterday actually. It's supposed to be good for muscular pain, arthritis, circulation and tension etc. Haven't noticed anything yet but I'll let you know if it works.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:26 (095545)

Also I must admit, even the different GP that I saw recently, although she was a lot nicer and seemed more concerned, it was still I that suggested being referred to a rheumatologist.

She agreed without hesitation but I wonder if she would have suggested it if I hadn't.

RachelWoolly on 9/16/02 at 11:23 (095433)

Carmen, no still haven't been diagnosed unfortunately.

I saw a different Doctor last week. She seemed a lot more sympathetic than my usual Doctor. She didn't say much but I could see it on her face that she was genuinely concerned.

She said that she would refer me to a rheumatologist so hopefully I'll be seeing one soon and get some answers.

My own Doctor should have referred me months ago or I should have insisted months ago.

The trouble with me is I'm not pushy enough.

Thanks for asking anyway.

Rachel.

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 12:50 (095451)

What are your main symptoms? Do you mind me asking?
I just ask because I know you have a multitude of things going on and I have read extensively on many things...wondering if I could help or if anything jumped out at me that I would recognize.
If you don't want to post anything here I understand.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 16:17 (095473)

Your doctor should have referred you months ago. It's not your fault that you didn't insist. People who are not pushy need medical care too!!!!!

This is one of my gripes with medical care. If you are pushy, the doctor acts like 'What do YOU know? I'm the doctor, not you.' But if you are not pushy, then nothing gets done. Grrr. :)

Imagine a room full of patients of all different types, who have only one thing in common... that they are not pushy. Wouldn't you be outraged if they did not get the medical treatment that they sought and need? I would.

I am not very pushy about this type of thing either, but I guess I've settled for obstinate. I just keep coming back and repeating the same things until finally they give up (or I do).

Carole C

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:04 (095515)

Carmen,

O.K. Here we go.

Just around Christmas I was having periods of waking with stiffness and a feeling of bruising is my back and chest. Felt like I'd done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Took no notice as I thought maybe it was the fact that our 3 year old sometimes gets in our bed and I would end up in awkward positions.

In January I got a job as a school kitchen assistant and would whizz around a hard kitchen floor with cheap trainers on 5 hours a day, 5 days a week without a break.

By about middle of February I started to experience pain in heel of my right foot. Carried on working as I didn't want to take any time off as I had only just started the job. I thought I'd wait until the Easter holidays when I would get 2 weeks off.

By the Easter holidays my heel felt very bad and even in those 2 weeks I had off it got from bad to worse. (never went back to work after that. Had to quit).

By beginning of May I started getting pain in the heel of my left foot (not as bad). My Doctor referred me to a foot pod. I saw her about middle of May. She noticed that my left leg was slightly longer than my right leg and gave me an extra heel pad to put in my right shoe. She also sent me in the post after a couple of weeks some orthotics.

After a few days of wearing the orthotics I woke up one morning and my right knee was painful and inflamed and my right elbow was painful.

Went to the Doctors and he sent me for some bloodtests. They came back showing a raised ESR. Went back and was sent for some more bloodtests. Meantime was given steroid injection in right heel. (heel felt bit better)
Next lot of bloodtests came back normal so Doctor didn't want to bother seeing me again.

When the 2nd lot of bloodtests came back normal I wondered whether the pain in my knee was anything to do with the extra heel pad in my right shoe. Contacted Senior pod. as my pod. was on holiday and he said, see how I go without it.

That was back in the beginning of July. I've had another lot of bloodtests since and they too came back normal. I've also had x-rays done on both feet, left ankle and right knee all came back normal.

In the passed 11 months I've had back and chest stiffness in the morning (got worse since), PF in both feet, pain in left ankle, pain in right knee, pain in elbows and pain in wrists.

I don't know whether I have arthritis which has caused the PF or whether the PF and the way I'm walking because of it has caused pains everywhere else.

Its a case of which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Well, I'm now waiting to see a rheumatologist so hopefully I might find something out then.

Thanks for your patience in reading this.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:08 (095516)

I agree with you totally Carole.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 07:10 (095517)

I thought I'd also mention that the pain in my feet are so bad that I can't walk very far. If I do I suffer badly the next day or two.

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 08:33 (095520)

Wow...sounds like you have a lot going on. But rest assured...you are not crazy & you are not the only one to end up with a series of things in conjunction with pf.
At one point I had burning in my back, glutes, feet...my upper back hurt and my wrists and hands were stinging.
NOW...being a firm believer in panicking (ha ha) I went to the doc and was sent through the blood work and also had many series of tests done; x- rays, mri's, etc only to be told nothing was wrong.

Long story short....all of my things turned out to be related to connective tissue/repetitive stress injuries. My PF still exists but is sooo much better than it ever was..and everything else is fixed.
I tell you that little history to let you know that you probably shouldn't panic...if everything is coming back normal so far...try and relax a little (I know it's hard!) and see if things calm down. One major thing I realized about my problems were that the minute I got worked up or stressed...my whole body tensed up and things started to hurt so much worse. Well I would stay in that stressed and tensed position for so long the next few days after were just brutal on my body!

Also are you sure it's actually JOINT pain and not muscular pain?
I have heard in more extreme cases that PF can be known to throw off the way our body functions even in the upper extremities.
A lot of tightness in the chest area can be caused from anxiety as well. Have you ever had a panic attack or a history of anxiety that you recognize?
Because you are having all of these things happen...doesn't mean that they are all from one related thing. It's possible you are having individual reactions to many things. Upper extremities from typing, lower extremities from running around the kitchen floor with bad shoes...chest and back from anxiety. It's just a thought but it's not impossible.
I can't offer much help as your symptoms don't go together with anything I have read...but I want you to be able to relax a little and know that you are not alone....
Do you do any stretching or relaxation exercises and are you sleeping enough?

Sharon W on 9/17/02 at 09:47 (095529)

Carole,

Sorry to jump in but I just have to comment on your post. Neither Rachel, nor ANYONE, who isn't 'pushy' or insistent, should have their complaints and/or pain and/or symptoms and/or requests ignored!! It is the doctor's JOB to listen to your symptoms and consider them seriously, to make an appropriate examination and order appropriate tests to do their very best to get an ACCURATE diagnosis. And if it appears the problem is not something within that doctor's area of expertise, then it is that doctor's OBLIGATION (it's even in their Hippocratic Oath!) to refer the patient on to someone else.

It makes me SO mad, when doctors act like they are doing FAVORS to their patients, just by seeing them. I would never buy in a boutique who gave me that kind of 'attitude,' even if I had fallen in love with something I'd seen in the window. And I would never return to a doctor who acted like that, either.

Sharon

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:22 (095544)

Carmen, I think I get enough sleep but it is broken every night because of my youngest who's nearly 4 now.

I think he's slept through the night about 2 or 3 times since he was born.

I must admit that I don't excercise. I used to walk quite a lot and was quite active especially having 5 children to look after prior to all this but I'm not doing a lot now obviously. I'm going to start swimming I think.

You maybe right about the anxiety. When I first started that job I hated it. I felt like I was racing against the clock all the time. There was just the two of us cooking for 125 children. I used to sometimes get palpatations. I haven't had any of that though since I quit.

My husband has recently bought me a magnetic copper bracelet. It was yesterday actually. It's supposed to be good for muscular pain, arthritis, circulation and tension etc. Haven't noticed anything yet but I'll let you know if it works.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:26 (095545)

Also I must admit, even the different GP that I saw recently, although she was a lot nicer and seemed more concerned, it was still I that suggested being referred to a rheumatologist.

She agreed without hesitation but I wonder if she would have suggested it if I hadn't.