Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swollen from inside arch to inside ankle

Posted by RachelWoolly on 9/16/02 at 11:05 (095430)

I've noticed in the passed week that on my left foot it is swollen from the inside of my arch to the inside of my ankle. So much that you can't even see the ankle sticking out.

Its also very painful.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Re: Swollen from inside arch to inside ankle

RachelWoolly on 9/16/02 at 11:07 (095431)

Thought I'd also better mention been given new VERY HARD set of orthotics in the passed week, but it was a little swollen before that.

Re: I too have a little "pouch" on inner side of foot...

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 12:21 (095440)

right near ankle. My left foot hurts worse than right foot, and right foot's little 'pouch' has gone down. Nobody has noticed it (been to more than one podiatrist and go to a chiropractor now).

I would be interested too if this means something. (I just attribute them to inflamation).

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 12:51 (095453)

I have had that same thing....it's gone now with the improvement of my condition but it was there when the inflammation was bad. The PT said it was just inflammation...but Rachel yours sounds a little more inflamed than mine was if you can't see the ankle bone....is that what you mean?

dave r on 9/16/02 at 12:59 (095457)

I also had the same problem on and off for a long time. I believe that it in my case it was from over stretching.......

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 06:34 (095512)

Carmen,

Yes I do mean the ankle bone. Its the inside ankle bone.
My foot is all inflamed with a terrible burning feeling from the inside of the arch all the way up to the inside ankle bone.

I do often experience burning in the bottom of both feet when I've sat down after walking around but this is too intense.

I tried icing it last night but it was really painful.

I'm taking ibuprofen twice a day but nothings happening.

Backs not bad at the moment and knee isn't as bad as yesterday.

Everyday i've got something different that plays me up.

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 08:08 (095519)

Oh dear....Now I apologize if I ask anything you have already explained and if you have a thread that I can refer to I will go back and read...but have you been looked at for tendonitis in your ankles? Some people I have found can't tolerate heat and some can't tolerate cold on their feet with this condition.
I am sure someone has already asked you about RSD....have you been looked at for that?
Do you typically have a high tolerance for pain? I mean what would you say your pain scale is from one to ten on a normal day (obviously ten being the pain that sends you to the hospital screaming)?

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:41 (095549)

Carmen,

I'm not sure what my pain threshold is. I know when I gave birth my husband said that I was quiet right till the very end when I was just about to push. I don't know whether thats anything to go by.

Usually I can cope with the pain quite well although I find it hard to walk far. Sometimes I get up and the pain isn't that bad but by the end of the day my feet are killing me and I have to use the crutches. Other times I'll get up and my feet are killing me so I hardly do anything and it eases off by the next day. I think it depends if I overdo it.

I can cope with the other pains in my body as I'm not walking on them.

I have looked up RSD and wondered about it. Today I looked up Tarsal tunnel syndrome as the symptoms are similar to my left foot.

There's so many different things I've looked up. When I talk about it to other people they say I'm like a medical encyclopaedia. lol.

I suppose I've gained something from all this.

Maybe I should become a doctor.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:55 (095551)

Carmen,

In answer to your question about pain on the scale of 1 to 10.

It really is up and down all the time but I've never got to the stage where I find it so unbearable that I have to go to hospital.

Usually if I'm sitting down I'm OK apart from if I've been walking about and my feet will burn but its bearable.

The burning pain on the inside ankle at the moment is worse but I'm still not screaming with it.

Rachel.

Re: Swollen from inside arch to inside ankle

RachelWoolly on 9/16/02 at 11:07 (095431)

Thought I'd also better mention been given new VERY HARD set of orthotics in the passed week, but it was a little swollen before that.

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 12:21 (095440)

right near ankle. My left foot hurts worse than right foot, and right foot's little 'pouch' has gone down. Nobody has noticed it (been to more than one podiatrist and go to a chiropractor now).

I would be interested too if this means something. (I just attribute them to inflamation).

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 12:51 (095453)

I have had that same thing....it's gone now with the improvement of my condition but it was there when the inflammation was bad. The PT said it was just inflammation...but Rachel yours sounds a little more inflamed than mine was if you can't see the ankle bone....is that what you mean?

dave r on 9/16/02 at 12:59 (095457)

I also had the same problem on and off for a long time. I believe that it in my case it was from over stretching.......

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 06:34 (095512)

Carmen,

Yes I do mean the ankle bone. Its the inside ankle bone.
My foot is all inflamed with a terrible burning feeling from the inside of the arch all the way up to the inside ankle bone.

I do often experience burning in the bottom of both feet when I've sat down after walking around but this is too intense.

I tried icing it last night but it was really painful.

I'm taking ibuprofen twice a day but nothings happening.

Backs not bad at the moment and knee isn't as bad as yesterday.

Everyday i've got something different that plays me up.

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 08:08 (095519)

Oh dear....Now I apologize if I ask anything you have already explained and if you have a thread that I can refer to I will go back and read...but have you been looked at for tendonitis in your ankles? Some people I have found can't tolerate heat and some can't tolerate cold on their feet with this condition.
I am sure someone has already asked you about RSD....have you been looked at for that?
Do you typically have a high tolerance for pain? I mean what would you say your pain scale is from one to ten on a normal day (obviously ten being the pain that sends you to the hospital screaming)?

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:41 (095549)

Carmen,

I'm not sure what my pain threshold is. I know when I gave birth my husband said that I was quiet right till the very end when I was just about to push. I don't know whether thats anything to go by.

Usually I can cope with the pain quite well although I find it hard to walk far. Sometimes I get up and the pain isn't that bad but by the end of the day my feet are killing me and I have to use the crutches. Other times I'll get up and my feet are killing me so I hardly do anything and it eases off by the next day. I think it depends if I overdo it.

I can cope with the other pains in my body as I'm not walking on them.

I have looked up RSD and wondered about it. Today I looked up Tarsal tunnel syndrome as the symptoms are similar to my left foot.

There's so many different things I've looked up. When I talk about it to other people they say I'm like a medical encyclopaedia. lol.

I suppose I've gained something from all this.

Maybe I should become a doctor.

Rachel.

RachelWoolly on 9/17/02 at 14:55 (095551)

Carmen,

In answer to your question about pain on the scale of 1 to 10.

It really is up and down all the time but I've never got to the stage where I find it so unbearable that I have to go to hospital.

Usually if I'm sitting down I'm OK apart from if I've been walking about and my feet will burn but its bearable.

The burning pain on the inside ankle at the moment is worse but I'm still not screaming with it.

Rachel.