Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Fear of Airport Secuirty lines..

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 12:03 (095437)

is that dang PF will flare up and I have to sit down and look funny to everybody else.

I am flying up to Seattle at the end of Oct. to go to my sister's
wedding.

I dread the long security lines I have heard about.

I have not flown since 04/2000...how is flying now for PF sufferers?
Do you have any pointers?

I am not sure I am 'ready' to ask an airline for a wheelchair, especially since I am able to stand a little while...and not confined to one (people seem to think all or nothing, you know what I mean)?

Re: My Fear of Airport Secuirty lines..

Nancy N on 9/16/02 at 12:10 (095439)

If you think that there's any chance you'll have trouble standing for a while, I would go for the wheelchair. What the heck--you've got nothing to lose, and usually you'll get through the line faster that way, too. This is not to say that you should abuse the privilege, of course, but you could be waiting for a while, and I know that standing was the absolute worst when my PF was at it's worst point.

Who cares what other people think? They have no idea what you're going through. If they want to get all fussed-up over someone being in a wheelchair, let them--you couldn't stop them if you wanted to, and usually stuff like that is more about the person who's upset than about anyone else. Take care of yourself first and let them worry about their own problems.

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 12:33 (095444)

Nancy,

Do you wheel yourself around or do they do that until you get to the plane to board?

Nancy N on 9/16/02 at 12:42 (095448)

I think if you ask for help, they'll find someone to wheel you around. I've never done it myself, but the times when I've been with people in wheelchairs, someone stayed with them and got them on the plane. Others may be able to give you a better idea than I can.

dave r on 9/16/02 at 13:15 (095458)

Most airports will have a cart available if you ask

Re: questions

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 14:31 (095462)

Do you have anything in particular that 'helps' when you stand for a longer period of time? Like for me...when I stand too long I continuously stretch my calves and this helps alleviate some of the 'heat' or pain in my feet.....
Do you have anything you can double up on that day? Aleve? NSAIDS?
Perhaps you can tape?
As far as the wheelchair is concerned...I wouldn't care what people thought. You know what? If i was really concerned about standing too long I would tell someone that works there you have trouble standing for long periods of time..and instead of being a burden (which you wouldn't be...but you could act like you had their best interest in mind) by having to have a wheelchair is there any way you could get checked in a little sooner? Or could they bring you a chair?
Heck...you know what? It wouldn't be beneath me to carry my own folding chair!!!
They have some teeny tiny little ones that fold up to nothing...and open to a seat. I have a supplier that carries them I could pretend you needed a sample to get it at cost if you need it. Just let me know.
Does any of that help?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 15:00 (095464)

I agree that you should ask for a wheelchair if you can.

But if you decide not to, I'd be sure to tape and/or wear your orthotics. Sometimes I've sat on my suitcase (it's one of those carry-ons with wheels, and when it's upright I can kind of half sit on it and take some of the weight off my feet).

Another thing I have done is to look around for chairs or places nearby to sit, and then I got someone to hold my place in line while I went over there and sat. I didn't explain my PF but told them I was in a lot of pain and that I have arthritis (which I also have). They were very nice.

I flew Continental from New Orleans to HOuston on Sept 9th and back on Sept 10th, and there was virtually no line at all even though my plane was full. I don't know if that is usual in general, or not.

Be careful at the end of the flight when you get up... any stretching you can get in first may help.

Carole C

Re: another pointer

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 15:06 (095465)

Some airports have little shuttle buses (sort of like big golf carts) to help you cover the long distances inside of terminals. Try to find out before you go if your airport does, and if you can just wave it down or if you can call it or what. For me, walking the long distances was pretty difficult and every time I'd see one of the little buses it had already zipped past me.

Get there early so that if you DO have to walk, you can stop and rest your feet.

Above all, have a wonderful time! My brother got married in June, and I enjoyed his wedding a lot. I wasn't a matron of honor so all I had to do was to enjoy everything. I was very glad that I didn't have to stand in the receiving line! I hope you enjoy your sister's wedding too.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 15:47 (095468)

Hi Carmen,

I would like to know more about the fold up chair...sounds great! If it is really really compact...I could carry it onto the plane and put in under my seat or overhead after I get on the plane.

Re: thx carole :) eom

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 15:48 (095469)

Re: Order the wheelchair!

Julie on 9/16/02 at 16:54 (095484)

Definitely! Save your feet for your sister's wedding, and enjoy it.

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 17:54 (095497)

Let me find the vendors information and I will send you an email picture and wholesale cost.

Nancy N on 9/16/02 at 12:10 (095439)

If you think that there's any chance you'll have trouble standing for a while, I would go for the wheelchair. What the heck--you've got nothing to lose, and usually you'll get through the line faster that way, too. This is not to say that you should abuse the privilege, of course, but you could be waiting for a while, and I know that standing was the absolute worst when my PF was at it's worst point.

Who cares what other people think? They have no idea what you're going through. If they want to get all fussed-up over someone being in a wheelchair, let them--you couldn't stop them if you wanted to, and usually stuff like that is more about the person who's upset than about anyone else. Take care of yourself first and let them worry about their own problems.

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 12:33 (095444)

Nancy,

Do you wheel yourself around or do they do that until you get to the plane to board?

Nancy N on 9/16/02 at 12:42 (095448)

I think if you ask for help, they'll find someone to wheel you around. I've never done it myself, but the times when I've been with people in wheelchairs, someone stayed with them and got them on the plane. Others may be able to give you a better idea than I can.

dave r on 9/16/02 at 13:15 (095458)

Most airports will have a cart available if you ask

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 14:31 (095462)

Do you have anything in particular that 'helps' when you stand for a longer period of time? Like for me...when I stand too long I continuously stretch my calves and this helps alleviate some of the 'heat' or pain in my feet.....
Do you have anything you can double up on that day? Aleve? NSAIDS?
Perhaps you can tape?
As far as the wheelchair is concerned...I wouldn't care what people thought. You know what? If i was really concerned about standing too long I would tell someone that works there you have trouble standing for long periods of time..and instead of being a burden (which you wouldn't be...but you could act like you had their best interest in mind) by having to have a wheelchair is there any way you could get checked in a little sooner? Or could they bring you a chair?
Heck...you know what? It wouldn't be beneath me to carry my own folding chair!!!
They have some teeny tiny little ones that fold up to nothing...and open to a seat. I have a supplier that carries them I could pretend you needed a sample to get it at cost if you need it. Just let me know.
Does any of that help?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 15:00 (095464)

I agree that you should ask for a wheelchair if you can.

But if you decide not to, I'd be sure to tape and/or wear your orthotics. Sometimes I've sat on my suitcase (it's one of those carry-ons with wheels, and when it's upright I can kind of half sit on it and take some of the weight off my feet).

Another thing I have done is to look around for chairs or places nearby to sit, and then I got someone to hold my place in line while I went over there and sat. I didn't explain my PF but told them I was in a lot of pain and that I have arthritis (which I also have). They were very nice.

I flew Continental from New Orleans to HOuston on Sept 9th and back on Sept 10th, and there was virtually no line at all even though my plane was full. I don't know if that is usual in general, or not.

Be careful at the end of the flight when you get up... any stretching you can get in first may help.

Carole C

Re: another pointer

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/02 at 15:06 (095465)

Some airports have little shuttle buses (sort of like big golf carts) to help you cover the long distances inside of terminals. Try to find out before you go if your airport does, and if you can just wave it down or if you can call it or what. For me, walking the long distances was pretty difficult and every time I'd see one of the little buses it had already zipped past me.

Get there early so that if you DO have to walk, you can stop and rest your feet.

Above all, have a wonderful time! My brother got married in June, and I enjoyed his wedding a lot. I wasn't a matron of honor so all I had to do was to enjoy everything. I was very glad that I didn't have to stand in the receiving line! I hope you enjoy your sister's wedding too.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 15:47 (095468)

Hi Carmen,

I would like to know more about the fold up chair...sounds great! If it is really really compact...I could carry it onto the plane and put in under my seat or overhead after I get on the plane.

Re: thx carole :) eom

Mahatmelissama on 9/16/02 at 15:48 (095469)

Re: Order the wheelchair!

Julie on 9/16/02 at 16:54 (095484)

Definitely! Save your feet for your sister's wedding, and enjoy it.

Carmen H on 9/16/02 at 17:54 (095497)

Let me find the vendors information and I will send you an email picture and wholesale cost.