Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help!!!!

Posted by Angela on 9/17/02 at 14:05 (095543)

For over two years now I've been living with a very painful heel. I think it was caused by wearing some ill fitting hiking type boots for an extended amount of time. It is located back of my left heel, close the the middle, just above where my foot contacts the ground. I have a knot the size of a pea that at times swells and is extremely painful other times it doesn't hurt at all. The pain can be excruciating and tender to the touch then just go away. I have no idea what it is. I've heard of a condition called 'policman's heal' but I'm just not sure what it is exactly. Could it be a type of bursitus??? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm to the point I'll try anything, thanks!

Re: Help!!!!

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 14:38 (095548)

Policemans heel is another word for plantar fasciitis...it comes from them pounding the pavement all day long in ill fitting shoes. At least that's what one of my clients fro the sheriffs dept told me.

Ellen J. on 9/19/02 at 16:16 (095745)

Can you try wearing sandals that have an area at the back that's open and doesn't contact the painful area of the heel? I'm wondering if wearing a regular shoe is irritating the nerve there by rubbing or putting pressure on the area. Also, a sandal with a supportive but soft footbed so that the bottom of the heel is cushioned is what comes to mind. Something like Naot or Mephisto sandals. Here in Vermont we wear polar fleece socks with our sandals in winter. I haven't tried that yet, but I guess I will this year!
Just a thought and a wild guess regarding your sore heel.
Ellen J.

Julie on 9/20/02 at 00:53 (095789)

Angela, haven't you seen a foot doctor about this yet? Two years in pain from an undiagnosed cause is a long time. You need help.

Carmen H on 9/17/02 at 14:38 (095548)

Policemans heel is another word for plantar fasciitis...it comes from them pounding the pavement all day long in ill fitting shoes. At least that's what one of my clients fro the sheriffs dept told me.

Ellen J. on 9/19/02 at 16:16 (095745)

Can you try wearing sandals that have an area at the back that's open and doesn't contact the painful area of the heel? I'm wondering if wearing a regular shoe is irritating the nerve there by rubbing or putting pressure on the area. Also, a sandal with a supportive but soft footbed so that the bottom of the heel is cushioned is what comes to mind. Something like Naot or Mephisto sandals. Here in Vermont we wear polar fleece socks with our sandals in winter. I haven't tried that yet, but I guess I will this year!
Just a thought and a wild guess regarding your sore heel.
Ellen J.

Julie on 9/20/02 at 00:53 (095789)

Angela, haven't you seen a foot doctor about this yet? Two years in pain from an undiagnosed cause is a long time. You need help.