Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Phase IV Orthotics -- anyone used them?

Posted by Trish S on 9/17/02 at 17:30 (095563)

I just got some phase IV orthotics and they feel really strange though they do take all the weight off my heels. I seem to have PF. Has anyone tried these? If so I'd like to know what your expierence with them is.

Re: Phase IV Orthotics -- anyone used them?

BGCPed on 9/18/02 at 00:43 (095593)

Its god to see first time posters endorsing a product. I hope they are well suited to your condition but i wouldnt worry about it since they only cost about $4 a pair to make and they have a well structured group to sell them to unscrupulous compnaies

Carmen H on 9/18/02 at 07:43 (095606)

Does that mean you don't like them BGCped? ;)

Trish S on 9/18/02 at 09:00 (095614)

I'm not endorsing them. I'm asking if anyone has had any expierence with them so I can better know whether to keep using these things that feel so wierd or send them back. Be nice to first timers please.

nancy s. on 9/18/02 at 11:24 (095621)

hi trish, i'm sorry you got unfairly characterized by a cynic here! please don't let that get in the way of seeking help here -- there's a lot of help to be had.

i just tried using the message-board search function, and it came up with nothing when i typed 'phase lV,' but it came up with a lot when i typed 'phase 4.' try that -- there are a lot of posts about them, with a variety of opinions. maybe they'll help you make your decision. (remember when you're reading that the search function produces posts in reverse order: most recent first and then on back.)

i've never used phase 4 myself, so i can't give my own opinion.

good luck to you.

nancy

Trish S on 9/18/02 at 14:22 (095628)

Thank's Nancy. That was helpful.

pala on 9/18/02 at 17:20 (095640)

i agree. be nice to people here especially first timers. it seems to me that an awful lot of people have drifted away this last year. as much as i appreciate the hard core group we will all be much better served with lots of folks and lots of ideas and i do hope no one will be nasty to first time posters.. you are most welcome here first time posters!

BGCPed on 9/18/02 at 22:37 (095680)

Well I am sorry I have been labeled a 'cynic' on here. From a professional standpoint I am speaking form experience. That company is slime and they use snake oil tactics to sell. If you are a legit first time poster than I am sorry if I 'nastied' you. I always wonder about first time posts that ask about or endorse a product. I was lambasted as a 'nasty' a few times last spring when I pointed out 2 different posters that proved to be scammers.

It is not my intent to make any real people feel bad or not welcome. I have seen too many elderly and others ripped off by this product and its retailers. If it works for you great. To the few that like to be in charge of who is nasty I say relax, you loose some valid information on here by pretending to be the person in charge of giving out the nasty tickets.

Re: Sarcasm

Julie on 9/19/02 at 00:47 (095686)

Brian

I wouldn't like to say you were 'nasty', but your post to Trish was certainly sarcastic, and clearly hurtful. I usually like your sarcasm, when it's appropriately aimed at manipulative scams, but in this case I was shocked.

It seemed to me, and to everyone else who has responded, that this was a legitimate, well-meant contribution by a new poster, who should have been given the benefit of the doubt, even if you had suspicions. Perhaps you could stay your hand in future when it isn't fully obvious that a post is a sales pitch?

Trish S on 9/19/02 at 06:25 (095694)

When I posted that message I read and agreed to the note at the bottom. It says in bold type 'Be nice'. So the first message I get is -- well...
When you ask for help and get attacked it hurts, even in ciberspace. I think BG that you need to chill more than your heels.

Re: Trish

Julie on 9/19/02 at 07:58 (095696)

Yes, cutting remarks in cyberspace DO hurt, but look at all the support you've had and let this one go. There are lots of good people here. And Brian, who is a pedorthist and knows a great deal about feet in general and orthotics in particular, does have everyone's interests at heart - that's exactly why he goes a bit overboard when he sniffs what might be a scam. I shouldn't speak for him, but I think he knows he spoke too quickly in this case, and perhaps in future he'll think before he jumps. Don't be upset any mor, and don't let what happened put you off coming here.

You never had a proper answer to your question about Phase 4. They aren't well thought of here, as you'll find out if you follow the link Nancy gave you. Someone returned a pair a little while ago and got a full refund. I think she was lucky, but if you decide to try, I hope you're lucky too. Or maybe you'll be really lucky and they'll work for you.

D.Thomas on 9/19/02 at 15:31 (095739)

Brian,

Just my two cents. I didn't read that at all in your message, but it's becuase I know you personally and knew exactly what you trying to get across.

BGCPed on 9/19/02 at 16:21 (095750)

Thank you D.T. I wasnt trying to flame a person but rather a product that deserves it not by its own design but the way it is shilled. Anybody feel hurt,,,,,, sorry.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/19/02 at 18:05 (095762)

The Phase 4 people are, for the most part, trying to compete with the Goodfeet Stores. The Goodfeet people seem fairly angry that someone else is using their sales tactics. At least the Phase 4s are reasonably priced so 'little ventured, little gained' on the part of individuals ordering the product.
Ed

BGCPed on 9/19/02 at 22:21 (095787)

You are roght as always Dr Ed. I have a problem with any product that is sold at flower shows, state fairs and carnivals by a guy with a bullhorn and no training. That is unless they charge under $15 and keep the hog calling medical advice to a minimum

Trish S on 9/20/02 at 07:57 (095809)

I'd appreciate it if you were to keep it your problem. I'm not so stupid that I can't see all the scaming in the world. Sometimes though I toss in my $20 to see what happens. The jury, my feet, are still out about the you know whats. In conclusion, this is the conclusion of my contribution to your soap box, I certianly don't need you to protect me from myself. I could use protection from people who think they need to protect me from myself. Be assured that if I ever do find something that works for me I will shout it from some other rooftop. And thank you Nancy for telling me how to access the info I asked for in the first place. That helped.

BGCPed on 9/21/02 at 06:02 (095881)

Well I am sorry you tok my comments so personal. I believe you asked 'anyone' to contribute their input. I see patients every week that get ripped off by some of these distributors. I am sorry you feel you need to be protected from people like me that feel the need to protect you from things( I think thats what you said)

Sometimes in cyberspace when you throw out a question you will get all types of response. You may not have wanted it but if my post saved even one person from supporting them then I dont care.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/21/02 at 10:26 (095901)

Trish:

When you pose a query in cyberspace the person responding is not just responding for you benefit but for others reading the board. The person giving you the opinion (after all, it was requested) is in no way coercing you to act on his/her advice. All healthcare providers will base their advice on what they feel helps and protects the patient. What you do with that advice is your choice.
Ed

pala on 9/21/02 at 13:20 (095907)

dr ed, i usually agree with everything you say and you have helped me tremendously. but are you talking about the original nasty tone of the answer to trish when she, as a first time poster asked an innocent question.? it is my opinion that we have lost a variety of people here because of this ongoing unpleasant sarcasm heaped upon first time posters. i do not believe that any kind of information, if presented that way, is going to help us here in the long run. it is going to drive away people here. or keep a lot of people reading this for info but afraid to post. i am sort of scared to post this because i have a feeling the wrath of hell will be heaped upon me even tho i was not inpolite here. (not from you, of course, you never get nasty) .this was the first time she posted and she was understandably on the defensive after that. if i have confused threads here, then, as gilda radner's character used to say....never mind.

Julie on 9/21/02 at 16:06 (095913)

Sorry, Brian, but I'm going to repeat myself.

You should have stopped to think before speaking to Trish as you did.

You shouldn't have pounced sarcastically on a new poster.

You should have given her the benefit of the doubt. No-one else thought she was spamming.

Instead of slamming her you could - for instance - have said 'Trish, be careful. The people who promote and sell these devices are up to no good'. I'm sorry if you've been caught by them.'

That would have been more caring.

And nicer.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/21/02 at 20:55 (095925)

Pala:

Your point is well taken.

I think BG's response had a negative tone since he was answering out of exasperation and did not mean to direct it to the poster. I agree that he probably should have taken a deep breath and remembered that he was responding to a new poster who was not familiar with the controversy.

Ed

BGCPed on 9/18/02 at 00:43 (095593)

Its god to see first time posters endorsing a product. I hope they are well suited to your condition but i wouldnt worry about it since they only cost about $4 a pair to make and they have a well structured group to sell them to unscrupulous compnaies

Carmen H on 9/18/02 at 07:43 (095606)

Does that mean you don't like them BGCped? ;)

Trish S on 9/18/02 at 09:00 (095614)

I'm not endorsing them. I'm asking if anyone has had any expierence with them so I can better know whether to keep using these things that feel so wierd or send them back. Be nice to first timers please.

nancy s. on 9/18/02 at 11:24 (095621)

hi trish, i'm sorry you got unfairly characterized by a cynic here! please don't let that get in the way of seeking help here -- there's a lot of help to be had.

i just tried using the message-board search function, and it came up with nothing when i typed 'phase lV,' but it came up with a lot when i typed 'phase 4.' try that -- there are a lot of posts about them, with a variety of opinions. maybe they'll help you make your decision. (remember when you're reading that the search function produces posts in reverse order: most recent first and then on back.)

i've never used phase 4 myself, so i can't give my own opinion.

good luck to you.

nancy

Trish S on 9/18/02 at 14:22 (095628)

Thank's Nancy. That was helpful.

pala on 9/18/02 at 17:20 (095640)

i agree. be nice to people here especially first timers. it seems to me that an awful lot of people have drifted away this last year. as much as i appreciate the hard core group we will all be much better served with lots of folks and lots of ideas and i do hope no one will be nasty to first time posters.. you are most welcome here first time posters!

BGCPed on 9/18/02 at 22:37 (095680)

Well I am sorry I have been labeled a 'cynic' on here. From a professional standpoint I am speaking form experience. That company is slime and they use snake oil tactics to sell. If you are a legit first time poster than I am sorry if I 'nastied' you. I always wonder about first time posts that ask about or endorse a product. I was lambasted as a 'nasty' a few times last spring when I pointed out 2 different posters that proved to be scammers.

It is not my intent to make any real people feel bad or not welcome. I have seen too many elderly and others ripped off by this product and its retailers. If it works for you great. To the few that like to be in charge of who is nasty I say relax, you loose some valid information on here by pretending to be the person in charge of giving out the nasty tickets.

Julie on 9/19/02 at 00:47 (095686)

Brian

I wouldn't like to say you were 'nasty', but your post to Trish was certainly sarcastic, and clearly hurtful. I usually like your sarcasm, when it's appropriately aimed at manipulative scams, but in this case I was shocked.

It seemed to me, and to everyone else who has responded, that this was a legitimate, well-meant contribution by a new poster, who should have been given the benefit of the doubt, even if you had suspicions. Perhaps you could stay your hand in future when it isn't fully obvious that a post is a sales pitch?

Trish S on 9/19/02 at 06:25 (095694)

When I posted that message I read and agreed to the note at the bottom. It says in bold type 'Be nice'. So the first message I get is -- well...
When you ask for help and get attacked it hurts, even in ciberspace. I think BG that you need to chill more than your heels.

Re: Trish

Julie on 9/19/02 at 07:58 (095696)

Yes, cutting remarks in cyberspace DO hurt, but look at all the support you've had and let this one go. There are lots of good people here. And Brian, who is a pedorthist and knows a great deal about feet in general and orthotics in particular, does have everyone's interests at heart - that's exactly why he goes a bit overboard when he sniffs what might be a scam. I shouldn't speak for him, but I think he knows he spoke too quickly in this case, and perhaps in future he'll think before he jumps. Don't be upset any mor, and don't let what happened put you off coming here.

You never had a proper answer to your question about Phase 4. They aren't well thought of here, as you'll find out if you follow the link Nancy gave you. Someone returned a pair a little while ago and got a full refund. I think she was lucky, but if you decide to try, I hope you're lucky too. Or maybe you'll be really lucky and they'll work for you.

D.Thomas on 9/19/02 at 15:31 (095739)

Brian,

Just my two cents. I didn't read that at all in your message, but it's becuase I know you personally and knew exactly what you trying to get across.

BGCPed on 9/19/02 at 16:21 (095750)

Thank you D.T. I wasnt trying to flame a person but rather a product that deserves it not by its own design but the way it is shilled. Anybody feel hurt,,,,,, sorry.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/19/02 at 18:05 (095762)

The Phase 4 people are, for the most part, trying to compete with the Goodfeet Stores. The Goodfeet people seem fairly angry that someone else is using their sales tactics. At least the Phase 4s are reasonably priced so 'little ventured, little gained' on the part of individuals ordering the product.
Ed

BGCPed on 9/19/02 at 22:21 (095787)

You are roght as always Dr Ed. I have a problem with any product that is sold at flower shows, state fairs and carnivals by a guy with a bullhorn and no training. That is unless they charge under $15 and keep the hog calling medical advice to a minimum

Trish S on 9/20/02 at 07:57 (095809)

I'd appreciate it if you were to keep it your problem. I'm not so stupid that I can't see all the scaming in the world. Sometimes though I toss in my $20 to see what happens. The jury, my feet, are still out about the you know whats. In conclusion, this is the conclusion of my contribution to your soap box, I certianly don't need you to protect me from myself. I could use protection from people who think they need to protect me from myself. Be assured that if I ever do find something that works for me I will shout it from some other rooftop. And thank you Nancy for telling me how to access the info I asked for in the first place. That helped.

BGCPed on 9/21/02 at 06:02 (095881)

Well I am sorry you tok my comments so personal. I believe you asked 'anyone' to contribute their input. I see patients every week that get ripped off by some of these distributors. I am sorry you feel you need to be protected from people like me that feel the need to protect you from things( I think thats what you said)

Sometimes in cyberspace when you throw out a question you will get all types of response. You may not have wanted it but if my post saved even one person from supporting them then I dont care.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/21/02 at 10:26 (095901)

Trish:

When you pose a query in cyberspace the person responding is not just responding for you benefit but for others reading the board. The person giving you the opinion (after all, it was requested) is in no way coercing you to act on his/her advice. All healthcare providers will base their advice on what they feel helps and protects the patient. What you do with that advice is your choice.
Ed

pala on 9/21/02 at 13:20 (095907)

dr ed, i usually agree with everything you say and you have helped me tremendously. but are you talking about the original nasty tone of the answer to trish when she, as a first time poster asked an innocent question.? it is my opinion that we have lost a variety of people here because of this ongoing unpleasant sarcasm heaped upon first time posters. i do not believe that any kind of information, if presented that way, is going to help us here in the long run. it is going to drive away people here. or keep a lot of people reading this for info but afraid to post. i am sort of scared to post this because i have a feeling the wrath of hell will be heaped upon me even tho i was not inpolite here. (not from you, of course, you never get nasty) .this was the first time she posted and she was understandably on the defensive after that. if i have confused threads here, then, as gilda radner's character used to say....never mind.

Julie on 9/21/02 at 16:06 (095913)

Sorry, Brian, but I'm going to repeat myself.

You should have stopped to think before speaking to Trish as you did.

You shouldn't have pounced sarcastically on a new poster.

You should have given her the benefit of the doubt. No-one else thought she was spamming.

Instead of slamming her you could - for instance - have said 'Trish, be careful. The people who promote and sell these devices are up to no good'. I'm sorry if you've been caught by them.'

That would have been more caring.

And nicer.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/21/02 at 20:55 (095925)

Pala:

Your point is well taken.

I think BG's response had a negative tone since he was answering out of exasperation and did not mean to direct it to the poster. I agree that he probably should have taken a deep breath and remembered that he was responding to a new poster who was not familiar with the controversy.

Ed