Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Our Soldiers" received my children's letters today!

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/18/02 at 16:21 (095634)

I received word from the mother of my student whose dad is overseas in the army that my class's letters to his company reached them today! It took 20 days, so we will know how to plan now for seasonal greetings. I bought some nice Halloween stationery with envelopes at one of those 'everything for a dollar' stores. I will have the children write by the end of this month since we are out for a two week break beginning the first of October. I understand that they are planning to have letters ready to mail back to us by the end of the week. We were excited to hear the news that the letters arrived safely!

I wanted John H. and Brian G. and anyone else interested in this project to know. I'll keep you updated on our future plans.

Suzanne :-)

Re: "Our Soldiers" received my children's letters today!

BrianG on 9/18/02 at 21:14 (095669)

Thanks Suzanne, you know this project is going to help people on both ends. Keep up the good work!! Our troops need to know they have not been forgotten.

Regards
BrianG

Necee on 9/18/02 at 21:50 (095674)

That's great Suzanne! I think what you are teaching 'your kids' is wonderful. Not only are they learning about our troops, and how to compose letters, and express their feelings, but they are being taught by a compassionate and caring teacher on how to show love and support to our soldiers. Mail call can be a very sad and lonely time, but because of your efforts, and that of the children, I'm sure you brightened their day.
Your students are blessed to have such a teacher as you.

Happy trails...

Necee

Laurie R on 9/19/02 at 08:11 (095698)

Hi Suzanne , I agree with Necee and Brian , this is so wonderful . it is wonderful for everyone . I bet the kids are learning so much from doing this . You are an awesome teacher , the only bad thing is , you are not here teaching my kids ...I hope you are doing well . Today I think I have some extra time , I will write an update on my foot ....

Laurie R

Carmen H on 9/19/02 at 16:18 (095746)

You are so awesome Suzanne....really giving these kids rules to 'grow' by in daily life.
I wouldn't expect any less from such a great teacher.

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 14:56 (095855)

Thanks, Brian. I always appreciate your support. I know you've 'been there' as a veteran, and I respect you for it.

Today we started talking about the next letters and what we would write about. Since we're using Halloween stationery, the shildren will tell what they are going to 'be' for Halloween, for one thing. The little boy whose dad is the soldier who originated our project said he is dressing up in an 'army outfit' for Halloween!

I think we'll include a picture of each child this time, too.

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 14:58 (095857)

Thank you, Necee. Sometimes I get discouraged - like everyone in any job -by the ever-increasing paper-work demands and so forth. But I try to keep the children as my focus as they are the reason I am there. I appreciate the encouragement!

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 15:00 (095859)

Thank you, Laurie. And how are you?? I would really like to read an update on your foot. I think of you so often and hope that things are better for you.

I would love to teach your little girl. Parents like you are a joy for teachers to work with!

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 15:01 (095860)

Thank you, Carmen. It sure is good to see your positive and informative posts on the board these days!

I appreciate you!

BrianG on 9/18/02 at 21:14 (095669)

Thanks Suzanne, you know this project is going to help people on both ends. Keep up the good work!! Our troops need to know they have not been forgotten.

Regards
BrianG

Necee on 9/18/02 at 21:50 (095674)

That's great Suzanne! I think what you are teaching 'your kids' is wonderful. Not only are they learning about our troops, and how to compose letters, and express their feelings, but they are being taught by a compassionate and caring teacher on how to show love and support to our soldiers. Mail call can be a very sad and lonely time, but because of your efforts, and that of the children, I'm sure you brightened their day.
Your students are blessed to have such a teacher as you.

Happy trails...

Necee

Laurie R on 9/19/02 at 08:11 (095698)

Hi Suzanne , I agree with Necee and Brian , this is so wonderful . it is wonderful for everyone . I bet the kids are learning so much from doing this . You are an awesome teacher , the only bad thing is , you are not here teaching my kids ...I hope you are doing well . Today I think I have some extra time , I will write an update on my foot ....

Laurie R

Carmen H on 9/19/02 at 16:18 (095746)

You are so awesome Suzanne....really giving these kids rules to 'grow' by in daily life.
I wouldn't expect any less from such a great teacher.

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 14:56 (095855)

Thanks, Brian. I always appreciate your support. I know you've 'been there' as a veteran, and I respect you for it.

Today we started talking about the next letters and what we would write about. Since we're using Halloween stationery, the shildren will tell what they are going to 'be' for Halloween, for one thing. The little boy whose dad is the soldier who originated our project said he is dressing up in an 'army outfit' for Halloween!

I think we'll include a picture of each child this time, too.

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 14:58 (095857)

Thank you, Necee. Sometimes I get discouraged - like everyone in any job -by the ever-increasing paper-work demands and so forth. But I try to keep the children as my focus as they are the reason I am there. I appreciate the encouragement!

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 15:00 (095859)

Thank you, Laurie. And how are you?? I would really like to read an update on your foot. I think of you so often and hope that things are better for you.

I would love to teach your little girl. Parents like you are a joy for teachers to work with!

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 15:01 (095860)

Thank you, Carmen. It sure is good to see your positive and informative posts on the board these days!

I appreciate you!