Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there any hope for this?

Posted by jan h. on 9/18/02 at 19:02 (095650)

I know all you great people have a knowledge of what I'm going through and I am here asking for help. I have spurs on both heels and 1 on the back of one ankle-so painful!! I have tried everything I can think of including orthotics, better shoes, taping, injections and viox, so far nothing has helped. I have to work and 8 hours a day on my feet is becoming absolutly unbearable. By the time work is over, I am limping and in so much pain I just want to cry. I don't know if I should be thinking about having them removed or not. I cannot imagine going through the rest of my life like this., but your posts are scaring me away from 'the knife'. Tell me this will clear up!!! I am going into my 5th year with this and it seems to just be getting worse. The Dr. has adivised me to take 2 weeks off work and soon I will be at the end of those 2 weeks. My feet feel somewhat better but I sure am afraid of going back to work.

Re: Is there any hope for this?

Julie on 9/19/02 at 01:17 (095691)

Jan, you've had some replies to the post you made on the Treatments board. Have a look.

JudyS on 9/19/02 at 10:21 (095717)

Oh yes, Jan, there IS hope! And you have more power than you think you do. If you've been at this for five years and your job requires you being on your feet, that may be culprit number one in your life. I suspect several folks here will share with you their own experiences with PF and jobs.
Also, we sure understand your pain and your frustration. Because of that we can tell you that two weeks off, after five years of pain, is probably not going to be enough. I imagine you've seen a podiatrist (or two!) by now and that's why you've tried several treatment methods. But the fact is that as long as you have to be on your feet for eight or ten hours a day, your feet won't have the chance they really need to heal. Can at least some of your job be done sitting down? If not, talk with your boss about altering things for awhile - especially if it IS the job that's keeping you from healing.
And hey - don't be afraid of surgery. Remember, the vast majority of folks who've had it have benefited from it. Just educate yourself thoroughly about it and be sure you've consistently tried all the more conservative methods of treatment first. Also, include the non-invasive treatment of ESWT in your education. There's lots of info here about it nd you may be surprised at what you learn.
Last, if you can keep one mantra going in your mind, it's 'I am in charge'. You get to control so much more than it seems like right now.
Yes, my friend, there is hope.

Necee on 9/19/02 at 11:04 (095719)

The answer to your question is YES, there is hope!

I speak from experience as well as everyone here. I was diagnosed with PF and a heel spur almost 2 yrs ago. My foot hurt so bad that I was walking on the side of it to keep the pressure off my heel, that was causing problems with the rest of my body, as well as my ankle. My job requires me standing and walking on concrete 8 hrs a day, and like you, I was coming home in tears everyday. I tried the shots, which only gave temporary relief, I tried taping, which gave some relief, I tried ultrasound which might have helped some, but really couldn't tell. I've iced, and worn a night splint, you name it and I've tried it, when in pain we become desperate and will do just about anything, but....when I took a month off work to rest, and bought Birkenstock shoes, that was the begining of healing for me, which brings up this question, what kind of shoes are you wearing?? I know that Birks aren't for everyone, but when I literally limped into the shoe store and walked out without limping wearing Birks, I knew that I was doing something right. I'm here to tell you that was the begining of healing for me. I also take an anti-inflammatory medication, so try to find one that works for you.
I had been to 2 Ortho Surgeons, and both advised against surgery on the foot, they both suggested rest, wearing Birks, and stretching everyday, along with....which is something very important....TIME...it takes TIME.
I've heard too many horror stories about foot surgeries that didn't heal, but rather caused more pain, so I would strongly advise against you having it to remove your spurs.
It's the inflammation in your foot that is causing the pain, so by reducing the inflammation you will aleviate the pain.
Please Jan, don't give up, but be strong in your fight, remain positive and stay focused on getting better.
All the best, and stay in touch here....this is where you will find lots of caring, and understanding people who are always willing to help.

Happy trails....

Necee

jan h. on 9/19/02 at 14:54 (095735)

Thank you all very much! I go back to the POD tomorrow. Don't know what he'll say! What are Birkenstock shoes? I've never heard of them. I have tried different shoes though-some worked for a week or so, but I wear them out so fast they aren't much help. I just changed jobs from one that I stood in one spot all night (on cement) to one that I walk all night (on cement). , from the frying pan into the fire LOL. -- My POD has not mentioned surgery, but I was going to ask about it tomorrow.

Necee on 9/19/02 at 23:33 (095788)

Please don't even discuss surgery yet Jan. If you're working on concrete all day I highly recommend you getting some good support shoes. That is what I did, and I'm still able to continue my job. I wear Birkenstock shoes, they are German made and especially helpful for those of us with heelspurs and PF. They have a cork footbed that gives support where needed. These are expensive shoes, but let me tell you, you won't wear them out! Find a store near you that carries them, and try them on, the salesperson should find the right shoe for your needs. You can go to http://www.birkenstock.com , I believe all the information you need is there. If I can help answer any questions you might have, then please ask....I'll do my best.

Happy trails...

Necee

Sara M on 10/01/02 at 12:49 (096605)

Jan, hang in there!I've been dealing with pf for over 2 years and it is difficult sometimes to know what is working and what isn't. It is important to pay very close attention to your feet and what you do during the day. Massage therapy helped me somewhat, and I also wear FABS, that hold up the fascia while working during the day and at home with my slippers. you can find them at http://www.DrRoths.com This helps me last longer during the day. Keep icing and stretching . I haven't tried birks yet, Im afraid since they are so expensive. But I want relief so bad , I'm going to the store this friday. Ill let you know how it goes. Good Luck!
P.S. Has anyone tried acupuncture?

Julie on 9/19/02 at 01:17 (095691)

Jan, you've had some replies to the post you made on the Treatments board. Have a look.

JudyS on 9/19/02 at 10:21 (095717)

Oh yes, Jan, there IS hope! And you have more power than you think you do. If you've been at this for five years and your job requires you being on your feet, that may be culprit number one in your life. I suspect several folks here will share with you their own experiences with PF and jobs.
Also, we sure understand your pain and your frustration. Because of that we can tell you that two weeks off, after five years of pain, is probably not going to be enough. I imagine you've seen a podiatrist (or two!) by now and that's why you've tried several treatment methods. But the fact is that as long as you have to be on your feet for eight or ten hours a day, your feet won't have the chance they really need to heal. Can at least some of your job be done sitting down? If not, talk with your boss about altering things for awhile - especially if it IS the job that's keeping you from healing.
And hey - don't be afraid of surgery. Remember, the vast majority of folks who've had it have benefited from it. Just educate yourself thoroughly about it and be sure you've consistently tried all the more conservative methods of treatment first. Also, include the non-invasive treatment of ESWT in your education. There's lots of info here about it nd you may be surprised at what you learn.
Last, if you can keep one mantra going in your mind, it's 'I am in charge'. You get to control so much more than it seems like right now.
Yes, my friend, there is hope.

Necee on 9/19/02 at 11:04 (095719)

The answer to your question is YES, there is hope!

I speak from experience as well as everyone here. I was diagnosed with PF and a heel spur almost 2 yrs ago. My foot hurt so bad that I was walking on the side of it to keep the pressure off my heel, that was causing problems with the rest of my body, as well as my ankle. My job requires me standing and walking on concrete 8 hrs a day, and like you, I was coming home in tears everyday. I tried the shots, which only gave temporary relief, I tried taping, which gave some relief, I tried ultrasound which might have helped some, but really couldn't tell. I've iced, and worn a night splint, you name it and I've tried it, when in pain we become desperate and will do just about anything, but....when I took a month off work to rest, and bought Birkenstock shoes, that was the begining of healing for me, which brings up this question, what kind of shoes are you wearing?? I know that Birks aren't for everyone, but when I literally limped into the shoe store and walked out without limping wearing Birks, I knew that I was doing something right. I'm here to tell you that was the begining of healing for me. I also take an anti-inflammatory medication, so try to find one that works for you.
I had been to 2 Ortho Surgeons, and both advised against surgery on the foot, they both suggested rest, wearing Birks, and stretching everyday, along with....which is something very important....TIME...it takes TIME.
I've heard too many horror stories about foot surgeries that didn't heal, but rather caused more pain, so I would strongly advise against you having it to remove your spurs.
It's the inflammation in your foot that is causing the pain, so by reducing the inflammation you will aleviate the pain.
Please Jan, don't give up, but be strong in your fight, remain positive and stay focused on getting better.
All the best, and stay in touch here....this is where you will find lots of caring, and understanding people who are always willing to help.

Happy trails....

Necee

jan h. on 9/19/02 at 14:54 (095735)

Thank you all very much! I go back to the POD tomorrow. Don't know what he'll say! What are Birkenstock shoes? I've never heard of them. I have tried different shoes though-some worked for a week or so, but I wear them out so fast they aren't much help. I just changed jobs from one that I stood in one spot all night (on cement) to one that I walk all night (on cement). , from the frying pan into the fire LOL. -- My POD has not mentioned surgery, but I was going to ask about it tomorrow.

Necee on 9/19/02 at 23:33 (095788)

Please don't even discuss surgery yet Jan. If you're working on concrete all day I highly recommend you getting some good support shoes. That is what I did, and I'm still able to continue my job. I wear Birkenstock shoes, they are German made and especially helpful for those of us with heelspurs and PF. They have a cork footbed that gives support where needed. These are expensive shoes, but let me tell you, you won't wear them out! Find a store near you that carries them, and try them on, the salesperson should find the right shoe for your needs. You can go to http://www.birkenstock.com , I believe all the information you need is there. If I can help answer any questions you might have, then please ask....I'll do my best.

Happy trails...

Necee

Sara M on 10/01/02 at 12:49 (096605)

Jan, hang in there!I've been dealing with pf for over 2 years and it is difficult sometimes to know what is working and what isn't. It is important to pay very close attention to your feet and what you do during the day. Massage therapy helped me somewhat, and I also wear FABS, that hold up the fascia while working during the day and at home with my slippers. you can find them at http://www.DrRoths.com This helps me last longer during the day. Keep icing and stretching . I haven't tried birks yet, Im afraid since they are so expensive. But I want relief so bad , I'm going to the store this friday. Ill let you know how it goes. Good Luck!
P.S. Has anyone tried acupuncture?