Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3rd Surgery!

Posted by Pam F on 9/20/02 at 08:32 (095819)

Well, on Monday, I am having my third surgery (9/24) on my left foot. My 2nd, and this surgery is for nerve entrapment. I have been to several doctors, and they all say the same thing. I have even seen a neurologist who has given the same diagnosis. Has anyone out there had this same problem? Is there any hope of a total cure? I have been off work for 1 1/2 years because of the pain. Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Re: 3rd Surgery!

Sharon W on 9/20/02 at 11:03 (095832)

Pam,

Is this surgery for nerve entrapment OF THE POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE, the nerve on the inside of your ankle, behind the bump? Did the doctor say anything about your 'tarsal tunnel'?

Because if so then yes, a number of us have had that surgery, and there is a tarsal tunnel syndrome message board where you can learn more about it.

And yes, there IS hope for a 'total cure', but there are no guarantees. I had posterior tibial nerve entrapment surgery two months ago and I'm very happy so far with the amount of pain relief -- even though it isn't 100%. Just follow your doctor's directions and STAY OFF YOUR FOOT for as long as he/she says to -- don't try to rush your recovery. Keep your incision clean and dry until you're told you can get it wet -- and don't try to change the dressing on it until the doctor tells you it's OK to do so; that's to help prevent infection.

Sharon

BrianG on 9/20/02 at 20:49 (095875)

Hi Pam,

Not to change the subject, but have you thought about applying for disabiity? Make sure you keep meticulous notes, and keep your doctor fully informed. He will be your best allie if you do have to apply. Don't wait too long, you could loose out.

Regards
BrianG

Sharon W on 9/20/02 at 11:03 (095832)

Pam,

Is this surgery for nerve entrapment OF THE POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE, the nerve on the inside of your ankle, behind the bump? Did the doctor say anything about your 'tarsal tunnel'?

Because if so then yes, a number of us have had that surgery, and there is a tarsal tunnel syndrome message board where you can learn more about it.

And yes, there IS hope for a 'total cure', but there are no guarantees. I had posterior tibial nerve entrapment surgery two months ago and I'm very happy so far with the amount of pain relief -- even though it isn't 100%. Just follow your doctor's directions and STAY OFF YOUR FOOT for as long as he/she says to -- don't try to rush your recovery. Keep your incision clean and dry until you're told you can get it wet -- and don't try to change the dressing on it until the doctor tells you it's OK to do so; that's to help prevent infection.

Sharon

BrianG on 9/20/02 at 20:49 (095875)

Hi Pam,

Not to change the subject, but have you thought about applying for disabiity? Make sure you keep meticulous notes, and keep your doctor fully informed. He will be your best allie if you do have to apply. Don't wait too long, you could loose out.

Regards
BrianG