Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ryder Cup

Posted by Pete R on 9/20/02 at 09:13 (095828)

As one of very few Brits on this site I just wondered what you all thought of your chances in the Ryder Cup (USA v Europe, that's Golf by the way).....or maybe you just don't care ? About time we beat you i think.

The competition is at The Belfy, Birmingham, England about 5 mins away from where I live, therefore, lots of Americans in the locale. Can't get a ticket for love or money, but can't stand for very long, so it doesn't really matter !!

Look forward to celebrating our victory end of next week !

Re: Ryder Cup

R C on 9/20/02 at 23:10 (095879)

Hello, Pete. The statistics weight rather heavily in the Americans' favor, if (for instance)you consider the latest SONY rankings of the respective players (see http://www.pgatour.com and go to the stats area). As far as having senior leadership goes, neither team has a clear advantage. The team playing on home turf has a historical (hysterical?) edge. This year's competition is a year delayed because of the 9-11 attack, but I wonder which team that favors. The European Team has steadier Captain's picks, but on the other hand Monty and Westwood have dropped out of sight lately. What else? Conventional wisdom is that the Europeans play better as a team, while the Americans have the edge individually. I don't think the Captains make a huge difference, despite what even the players might think. On balance, I would pick the U.S. team to win. Just to make it interesting I'll speculate that the U.S. will win by at least a 2 point margin.

Side note -- I was fortunate to be able to see the last President's Cup (also golf, but it's the U.S. versus the Rerst of the World minus Europe) when it was held in my home state of Virginia. I was suffering from PF at the time, and was using crutches and a cam walker. Accordingly they allowed me to sit in the very nice handicapped area: front row seat in a shaded platform. I saw members of both teams up close (plus some of their wives, who march alongside). What a thrill. Didn't do my feet any good, however.

Re: Ryder Cup

R C on 9/20/02 at 23:10 (095879)

Hello, Pete. The statistics weight rather heavily in the Americans' favor, if (for instance)you consider the latest SONY rankings of the respective players (see http://www.pgatour.com and go to the stats area). As far as having senior leadership goes, neither team has a clear advantage. The team playing on home turf has a historical (hysterical?) edge. This year's competition is a year delayed because of the 9-11 attack, but I wonder which team that favors. The European Team has steadier Captain's picks, but on the other hand Monty and Westwood have dropped out of sight lately. What else? Conventional wisdom is that the Europeans play better as a team, while the Americans have the edge individually. I don't think the Captains make a huge difference, despite what even the players might think. On balance, I would pick the U.S. team to win. Just to make it interesting I'll speculate that the U.S. will win by at least a 2 point margin.

Side note -- I was fortunate to be able to see the last President's Cup (also golf, but it's the U.S. versus the Rerst of the World minus Europe) when it was held in my home state of Virginia. I was suffering from PF at the time, and was using crutches and a cam walker. Accordingly they allowed me to sit in the very nice handicapped area: front row seat in a shaded platform. I saw members of both teams up close (plus some of their wives, who march alongside). What a thrill. Didn't do my feet any good, however.