Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Strassburg Sock

Posted by Dr. David S. Wander on 9/20/02 at 12:49 (095847)

In my practice, my patients have not had much success using traditional night splints due to the bulkiness of these splints. Patients often have difficulty sleeping, therefore remove the splints. I have been using a product called the Strassburg Sock (I do not sell this product and I have no financial interest in the company), which is basically a sock like device that dorsiflexes the foot AND the toes. In the most recent Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery, there was an article comparing the use of this product vs. weightbearing stretching. The authors found that slow passive stretching with the Strassburg Sock was superior to weightbearing stretching exercises in regards to relieving symptoms.

I emailed Scott R. and he said that he was aware of the product from the early days of this website. After my correspondence with Scott I did a search on this website and found a lot of positive comments regarding this product. If anyone has experience with this product let me know, and if anyone doesn't it is certainly an excellent option that has been helping the patients in my practice.

Re: Strassburg Sock

Annette on 9/20/02 at 14:59 (095858)

I have been using the Strassburg sock for almost three years now, I think that it is so much more comfortable than the traditional
night splint, but sometimes I feel that my foot is not staying in the correct position to keep it stretched all night (it doenst seem to hold my foot like the boot does) so I alternate between the both and it seems to be working out fine. I think that the Strassburg sock is really a a great idea, especially since we all get sick of wearing that stupid clunky, splint everynight, and some even end up not wearing it for days (like me) so the sock is a good alternative. The cost was reasonable, I think around $ 20.00, so if you end up not liking it, your dont feel horrible about wasting your money.
good luck with it and I hope that it helps.

Re: Strassburg Sock

Annette on 9/20/02 at 14:59 (095858)

I have been using the Strassburg sock for almost three years now, I think that it is so much more comfortable than the traditional
night splint, but sometimes I feel that my foot is not staying in the correct position to keep it stretched all night (it doenst seem to hold my foot like the boot does) so I alternate between the both and it seems to be working out fine. I think that the Strassburg sock is really a a great idea, especially since we all get sick of wearing that stupid clunky, splint everynight, and some even end up not wearing it for days (like me) so the sock is a good alternative. The cost was reasonable, I think around $ 20.00, so if you end up not liking it, your dont feel horrible about wasting your money.
good luck with it and I hope that it helps.