Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

having a bad day

Posted by kay on 9/20/02 at 13:50 (095853)

it been three month since my open partial release for p.f. and t.t release. i still can't be on my foot for more than 10-15 minutes. i see the doctor every 4 weeks.............why? he just say keep my range of motion. well hell i have my freaking range of motion but i want to have a normal life again. i went out to trim back the rose bush yesterday, with in 10 minutes i was having stinging right where the facia connects to the heel, and my ankle hurts, possibly from the swelling? i don't know it just getting to me. what if it never gets better?

kay

Re: having a bad day

Barbara S on 9/20/02 at 20:57 (095877)

Kay,
At three months I felt the same way. I didn't think my foot was every going to get better. I didn't start full weight bearing until almost 4 months. I had my surgery April 22,2002. Started pt first week in June. I went 3 times a week for 4 wks. I was still using both cructhes after the first round of therapy. I was sensitive around the incision that went around my ankle & up my leg. I also had alot of swelling from the very beginning. I then went to therapy twice a week for 4 more weeks. After this bout of therapy I was using only one crutch. I was having a real hard time relating to my surgeon so I sought out help from my POD AND PCP they were very suportive. After I finshed the second bout of therapy I started at a Pain Management Clinic(this was a referral from my PCP) as I also have fibromyalgia. I have been going to the pain clinic for almost 8weeks now. The first 5 weeks I worked with a PT who used Myofacial Pain Release on my foot,back,neck and shoulder. Then she did deep massages on my foot for 2 wks and now I'm doing Aquatic therapy with my foot being the main
point a interest. I can ride my recumbent bike for 45 min. & I can ride my outside bike 10 miles. I started walking on my own about the first week in Sept. First only the block in front of my house, then 5 blocks then 8 and then a mile. I am now able to walk 2 miles. It takes me longer than before my foot problems(which started last March). I could do a mile in 15 minutes it take about 25 minues right now,but I least my foot isn't killing me like it was over a year ago. I haven't tried golfing yet,I think we will wait til spring to try if everything keeps going so well.
I still ice and keep my foot elevated at night. I start out with a normal foot in the morning, but starts to swell,but even that is going away.
But now that my foot is getting better I have no job to go to. After 25yrs of service they fired me. You see the disability center who approves our disabilities decided I should have been able to work. So now I have a lawyer trying to get my job back. My husband was laidoff Aug 2nd. I carried our health insurance so now I have to pay over $500.00 a month through COBRA to keep our insuracne. I can't let our insurance go as I am still in therapy. I got a letter from my Union today saying they are going to refer my case to the National Union,but first I have to gather all my medical and letters from the disability center denying my claim. I just hoping everything will get settled soon or we will be fincially ruined.
I wanted to post about my progress earlier,but was afraid I would jinx myself, but when I saw your post I just had to let you hear some positive results. I still hold my breath and won't consider it gone til April 22,2003. So Kay hang in there and hopefully you will start seeing some improvemnt soon. Good Luck and God Bless. Barbara S.

kay on 9/20/02 at 21:19 (095878)

well barb i feel bad for my whining. you and your husband have been through hell it seems. stay strong and hopefully the union can get your job back with back pay.
i started riding the outside bike a few days ago but only go about 5 minutes. i am really out of shape after being on my butt for nearly a year. standing or walking hurts worse than riding.
my doctor an orth. surgeon seems really anxious to get me back to work. yeah i want to go back but i need to be able to do it first. today i got really down because i had to sign up for disability. i am only 46 and am not ready to chuck it all in. i want to get better and go back to work. my employer makes all sick leave workers sign up for ssd after six months out of work or they will cut of sick leave benefits.
another thing my doc says i don't need p.t. so i am reading here where everyone else gets it. maybe i need to bump up the dosage on my anti depressants.
thanks for writing.
kay

Tonya on 9/22/02 at 11:09 (095952)

Kay,

I don't post often, but I do read these posts frequently, and felt that I should respond to you. You are not very far behind me in the post-op recovery. I had my open pf release on 09-May-02. I fully understand your frustration. I too over the last couple of months have occasionally felt the same. We all have our good days and bad days. I just went for a follow up with my podiatrist this past Thursday. At this point I feel that I am 70-80% better than what I was before surgery. This does not mean that I am anywhere near painfree. Some days I get up and can't tolerate much standing. It all depends on what I've done the day before as far as being on my feet. I have gone to being able to tolerate hardly any standing to being able to take 1 1/2-2 hours of standing before I am in real pain. The difference is that with my right foot(my surgery foot), if I sit, over time the pain goes away. It's not constant as it was before, and I don't have the shooting pain anymore. I also no longer have the morning stiffness in my right foot. I am not telling you this to boast that my recovery seems to be faster than yours. I am telling you to give some positive feedback, because a lot of people posting on this site unfortunately, do not have much to give. I get scared too when I read the horror stories on here. Another reason is to point out that we all heal at different rates, and just because one person is healing faster does not mean that a person who is healing not so fast will never heal. If your doctor did not tell you that recovery from this surgery can be up to a year or more, he should have. I cannot remember if you had any other procedure along with your pf release, but if you did, you must also factor that in. I know you get tired of all of us saying the same thing......give it time, and listen to your foot, but it really is the best advice to give. As for physical therapy, my podiatrist has not ordered any for me either. He has however, had me continue with the daily stretching, along with icing with frozen 2-liter bottles. I think it's helped in my recovery and let me tell you that if you can handle the initial coldness from the icing, it feels pretty good. Especially when I roll the bottle under my foot. It feels really good to massage the incision area with ice too. I sometimes get a itchy burning feeling at the site, so it helps. I really hope that you have some good days ahead, and I'll pray for you. God Bless, Tonya

kay on 9/24/02 at 13:40 (096113)

thanks for taking the time to write tonya. my outlook lately, in my head has not been good. i think i am never getting any better. like last night i went to walmart with my husband. usually i stay in the car while he goes in but dang it i wanted to go in,,,so i did. by the time i got back out to the car i was hurting so bad. my doc hasn't even told me to stretch yet. i see him the 3rd of next month so i will ask him. one thing i have noticed that my arch doesn't hurt like it used to. its now above and below the incision and right on the heel. i pray to god this works. if i could just be 50% less pain i'd rejoice. the outcome of this surgery will decide if i ever go back to work or not. and at 46 i am not ready to give up to the couch. please keep me updateds on your progress.
kay

trish e on 10/01/02 at 19:04 (096643)

hello,i haven't posted in a while i had my tts/open fashia in feb of this year. 7 months now and sorry to say iam in more pain now than before my surgery,iam on 2700mg a day getting no relief with this med 50 mg of elavil still my feet keep me a wake at night,went to another foot dr monday and he put me back in my air cast,foots swells real bad,ankle now hurts real bad when walking,went to pain clinic and the dr said you now should go to an expert foot dr,see if he can fix the damage done and if i still have pain he will evaluate me for pns/cns.today i went to another neuroligist and he did actupunture and i stayed under for about 20 mins,well before he did this i was unable to move foot either feet without having pain,so after the test i could move my toes and when standing my right foot was pain free,than my surgery foot i put weight on it and the pain was still real bad.i go for another MRI on tuesday to see if a nerve could be traped.well thanks for listening and i hope things turn out well for all who had this surgery done,wish i would have gotten a 2rd oppion.so take care.sorry this is so long.

kay on 10/02/02 at 10:31 (096712)

trish do not be sorry for posting here, long or short. the kind words of encouragement here can help.
in reading your post you said you were going to be evaluated for pns/cns what is that? i'm trying to learn all i can. thanks
kay

trish e on 10/02/02 at 11:08 (096717)

THANKS FOR REPLING,THIS PNS THING IS WHERE THEY PUT A WIRE ELETRODE NEAR OR ON YOUR SPINE,I HAVEN'T REALLY LEARNED THAT MUCH EITHER THIS IS WHAT THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DR SAID.SO WHAT EVER YOU LEARN PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN LEARN TOGETHER.WELL YESTERDAY I HAD ANOTHER NEUROLIGIST DO A ACTUPUNTURE SORRY IF I SPELLED THESE WORDS WRONG,BUT ALL THIS DID IS GIVE ME MORE PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK AND MY FEET ARE THE SAME,I HAVE TOLD EVERY DR THAT THIS MED NEURONTIN HAS MADE ME LOSE MEMORY,GUESS WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT WHILE COOKING DINNER I TURNED THE STOVE ON AND DOUBLE CHECKED TO MAKE SURE I HAD THE FRONT BURNED ON BECAUSE I HAD SOMETHING SITTING ON THE BACK BURNED,WELL I WALKED IN THE LIVING ROOM AND THAN I SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING IT WAS THE STUFF ON THE BACK BURNER,PLASTIC SO IT BURNED UP AND MY HUSBAND SAID WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.HERE IS ANOTHER THING I DID CALLED THE VET TO MAKE AN APOINTMENT FOR MY BIRD AND IT WAS SET,THIS MORNING I CALLED TO SEE IF I COULD BRING MY BIRD IN THE GIRL SAID TRISH HON YOU MADE THE APOIN,ENT LAST NIGHT ! IAM SCARED. THE NEW DR WANTS ME TO STAY ON IT AT LEAST 6 MORE WEEKS.WELL HERE AGAIN I'VE MADE THIS LONG.IF YOU WANT U CAN IM ME AT (email removed) OR SKEINOFYARN @AOL,THAT WAY I DON'T WRITE TO LONG.

Barbara S on 9/20/02 at 20:57 (095877)

Kay,
At three months I felt the same way. I didn't think my foot was every going to get better. I didn't start full weight bearing until almost 4 months. I had my surgery April 22,2002. Started pt first week in June. I went 3 times a week for 4 wks. I was still using both cructhes after the first round of therapy. I was sensitive around the incision that went around my ankle & up my leg. I also had alot of swelling from the very beginning. I then went to therapy twice a week for 4 more weeks. After this bout of therapy I was using only one crutch. I was having a real hard time relating to my surgeon so I sought out help from my POD AND PCP they were very suportive. After I finshed the second bout of therapy I started at a Pain Management Clinic(this was a referral from my PCP) as I also have fibromyalgia. I have been going to the pain clinic for almost 8weeks now. The first 5 weeks I worked with a PT who used Myofacial Pain Release on my foot,back,neck and shoulder. Then she did deep massages on my foot for 2 wks and now I'm doing Aquatic therapy with my foot being the main
point a interest. I can ride my recumbent bike for 45 min. & I can ride my outside bike 10 miles. I started walking on my own about the first week in Sept. First only the block in front of my house, then 5 blocks then 8 and then a mile. I am now able to walk 2 miles. It takes me longer than before my foot problems(which started last March). I could do a mile in 15 minutes it take about 25 minues right now,but I least my foot isn't killing me like it was over a year ago. I haven't tried golfing yet,I think we will wait til spring to try if everything keeps going so well.
I still ice and keep my foot elevated at night. I start out with a normal foot in the morning, but starts to swell,but even that is going away.
But now that my foot is getting better I have no job to go to. After 25yrs of service they fired me. You see the disability center who approves our disabilities decided I should have been able to work. So now I have a lawyer trying to get my job back. My husband was laidoff Aug 2nd. I carried our health insurance so now I have to pay over $500.00 a month through COBRA to keep our insuracne. I can't let our insurance go as I am still in therapy. I got a letter from my Union today saying they are going to refer my case to the National Union,but first I have to gather all my medical and letters from the disability center denying my claim. I just hoping everything will get settled soon or we will be fincially ruined.
I wanted to post about my progress earlier,but was afraid I would jinx myself, but when I saw your post I just had to let you hear some positive results. I still hold my breath and won't consider it gone til April 22,2003. So Kay hang in there and hopefully you will start seeing some improvemnt soon. Good Luck and God Bless. Barbara S.

kay on 9/20/02 at 21:19 (095878)

well barb i feel bad for my whining. you and your husband have been through hell it seems. stay strong and hopefully the union can get your job back with back pay.
i started riding the outside bike a few days ago but only go about 5 minutes. i am really out of shape after being on my butt for nearly a year. standing or walking hurts worse than riding.
my doctor an orth. surgeon seems really anxious to get me back to work. yeah i want to go back but i need to be able to do it first. today i got really down because i had to sign up for disability. i am only 46 and am not ready to chuck it all in. i want to get better and go back to work. my employer makes all sick leave workers sign up for ssd after six months out of work or they will cut of sick leave benefits.
another thing my doc says i don't need p.t. so i am reading here where everyone else gets it. maybe i need to bump up the dosage on my anti depressants.
thanks for writing.
kay

Tonya on 9/22/02 at 11:09 (095952)

Kay,

I don't post often, but I do read these posts frequently, and felt that I should respond to you. You are not very far behind me in the post-op recovery. I had my open pf release on 09-May-02. I fully understand your frustration. I too over the last couple of months have occasionally felt the same. We all have our good days and bad days. I just went for a follow up with my podiatrist this past Thursday. At this point I feel that I am 70-80% better than what I was before surgery. This does not mean that I am anywhere near painfree. Some days I get up and can't tolerate much standing. It all depends on what I've done the day before as far as being on my feet. I have gone to being able to tolerate hardly any standing to being able to take 1 1/2-2 hours of standing before I am in real pain. The difference is that with my right foot(my surgery foot), if I sit, over time the pain goes away. It's not constant as it was before, and I don't have the shooting pain anymore. I also no longer have the morning stiffness in my right foot. I am not telling you this to boast that my recovery seems to be faster than yours. I am telling you to give some positive feedback, because a lot of people posting on this site unfortunately, do not have much to give. I get scared too when I read the horror stories on here. Another reason is to point out that we all heal at different rates, and just because one person is healing faster does not mean that a person who is healing not so fast will never heal. If your doctor did not tell you that recovery from this surgery can be up to a year or more, he should have. I cannot remember if you had any other procedure along with your pf release, but if you did, you must also factor that in. I know you get tired of all of us saying the same thing......give it time, and listen to your foot, but it really is the best advice to give. As for physical therapy, my podiatrist has not ordered any for me either. He has however, had me continue with the daily stretching, along with icing with frozen 2-liter bottles. I think it's helped in my recovery and let me tell you that if you can handle the initial coldness from the icing, it feels pretty good. Especially when I roll the bottle under my foot. It feels really good to massage the incision area with ice too. I sometimes get a itchy burning feeling at the site, so it helps. I really hope that you have some good days ahead, and I'll pray for you. God Bless, Tonya

kay on 9/24/02 at 13:40 (096113)

thanks for taking the time to write tonya. my outlook lately, in my head has not been good. i think i am never getting any better. like last night i went to walmart with my husband. usually i stay in the car while he goes in but dang it i wanted to go in,,,so i did. by the time i got back out to the car i was hurting so bad. my doc hasn't even told me to stretch yet. i see him the 3rd of next month so i will ask him. one thing i have noticed that my arch doesn't hurt like it used to. its now above and below the incision and right on the heel. i pray to god this works. if i could just be 50% less pain i'd rejoice. the outcome of this surgery will decide if i ever go back to work or not. and at 46 i am not ready to give up to the couch. please keep me updateds on your progress.
kay

trish e on 10/01/02 at 19:04 (096643)

hello,i haven't posted in a while i had my tts/open fashia in feb of this year. 7 months now and sorry to say iam in more pain now than before my surgery,iam on 2700mg a day getting no relief with this med 50 mg of elavil still my feet keep me a wake at night,went to another foot dr monday and he put me back in my air cast,foots swells real bad,ankle now hurts real bad when walking,went to pain clinic and the dr said you now should go to an expert foot dr,see if he can fix the damage done and if i still have pain he will evaluate me for pns/cns.today i went to another neuroligist and he did actupunture and i stayed under for about 20 mins,well before he did this i was unable to move foot either feet without having pain,so after the test i could move my toes and when standing my right foot was pain free,than my surgery foot i put weight on it and the pain was still real bad.i go for another MRI on tuesday to see if a nerve could be traped.well thanks for listening and i hope things turn out well for all who had this surgery done,wish i would have gotten a 2rd oppion.so take care.sorry this is so long.

kay on 10/02/02 at 10:31 (096712)

trish do not be sorry for posting here, long or short. the kind words of encouragement here can help.
in reading your post you said you were going to be evaluated for pns/cns what is that? i'm trying to learn all i can. thanks
kay

trish e on 10/02/02 at 11:08 (096717)

THANKS FOR REPLING,THIS PNS THING IS WHERE THEY PUT A WIRE ELETRODE NEAR OR ON YOUR SPINE,I HAVEN'T REALLY LEARNED THAT MUCH EITHER THIS IS WHAT THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DR SAID.SO WHAT EVER YOU LEARN PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN LEARN TOGETHER.WELL YESTERDAY I HAD ANOTHER NEUROLIGIST DO A ACTUPUNTURE SORRY IF I SPELLED THESE WORDS WRONG,BUT ALL THIS DID IS GIVE ME MORE PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK AND MY FEET ARE THE SAME,I HAVE TOLD EVERY DR THAT THIS MED NEURONTIN HAS MADE ME LOSE MEMORY,GUESS WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT WHILE COOKING DINNER I TURNED THE STOVE ON AND DOUBLE CHECKED TO MAKE SURE I HAD THE FRONT BURNED ON BECAUSE I HAD SOMETHING SITTING ON THE BACK BURNED,WELL I WALKED IN THE LIVING ROOM AND THAN I SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING IT WAS THE STUFF ON THE BACK BURNER,PLASTIC SO IT BURNED UP AND MY HUSBAND SAID WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.HERE IS ANOTHER THING I DID CALLED THE VET TO MAKE AN APOINTMENT FOR MY BIRD AND IT WAS SET,THIS MORNING I CALLED TO SEE IF I COULD BRING MY BIRD IN THE GIRL SAID TRISH HON YOU MADE THE APOIN,ENT LAST NIGHT ! IAM SCARED. THE NEW DR WANTS ME TO STAY ON IT AT LEAST 6 MORE WEEKS.WELL HERE AGAIN I'VE MADE THIS LONG.IF YOU WANT U CAN IM ME AT (email removed) OR SKEINOFYARN @AOL,THAT WAY I DON'T WRITE TO LONG.