Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Animals and me just complaining....

Posted by Carmen H on 9/20/02 at 14:57 (095856)

I just want to post a message about caring for our animals. The weather here is rainy and chilly today and I have neighbor who left his dog outside in the elements...with no shelter ( I have reported him...and many others too) and I just want to say this to anyone who has animals or knows people who have animals. Obviously we can't make people LOVE their pets...but by LAW we can make them act responsibly or give up the animal.

ANIMALS are our companions...they are 'pack' animals that were bred to be socialized and cared for. NOT dumped off somewhere or left outside 24 hours a day. The MOST an animal should be left outside is MAXIMUM 8 hours..with shelter, food and water within limits of the elements (& water that won't tip over).
We take responsiblity for them when we bring them home...it is our responsiblity to care enough to give them the best home possible. If you have a friend, neighbor or even a family member that is neglecting or abusing an animal I remind you that it IS our business to help that animal and make things right.
If you walk away from that animal that needs help you're not being the best person you can be. Try tying yourself to a tree for 24 hours with no company,no water and improper shelter and tell me it's not wrong.
They feel things just as we do and I am at the end of my rope with the irresponsible 'humans' of this world treating animals so poorly.
THEY ARE NOT OUR PROPERTY....they are our companions.
Whew...I feel a bit better. thank you.
Get involved...there's no excuse for waiting for 'someone else' to do the right thing.
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11865

'If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.' -St. Francis of Assisi

'Life is life--whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference
there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human
conception for man's own advantage...'
Sri Aurobindo (poet and philosopher)

Re: Animals and me just complaining....

Carole C in NOLA on 9/20/02 at 16:35 (095863)

I have a fishtank, which I got less than a year ago. Maybe it was a good idea for me to get fish rather than a puppy or kitten! I get home from work almost ten hours after I leave, on weekdays. A puppy or kitten might get lonely. A bird (which I was also considering) might get REALLY lonely.

My two lyretail mollies don't seem to need attention, other than feeding, cleaning the tank, and so on. They seem very happy and they had a baby during my move into my new home. Fish might be a good solution for people like me who have to leave their pets at home for most of each day. I still enjoy having something living in my house, so that it's not an entirely sterile and lifeless environment. I have plants, too. :)

Carole C

Carmen H on 9/20/02 at 18:08 (095868)

At LEAST you KNOW you don't have the time for them!!! That is soo much more than most people know Carole.
Thanks!!!

Re: I'll have to tell you two this story...

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 20:53 (095876)

Carole, your comment about considering a bird brought this story to mind...

First of all, you need to know that I never had a pet as a child and - while having compassion for them - I have always been a little uneasy around animals.

Well, four years ago, someone donated a bird in a cage to our science lab which is right across the hall from my classroom. The bird, Dolly, had been trained to say a few things like 'Hello, Dolly!', 'pretty girl', etc.

For some reason, Dolly talked whenever she heard my voice. She would hardly speak around anyone else, but as soon as I started talking or came near her cage, she got all excited and started whistling and talking. Our custodian took care of her and enjoyed coming to get me to show how she could talk whenever someone new came in the school. We had our faculty meetings in the science room, and sometimes they had to put a cloth over the cage to keep poor Dolly quiet if I were anywhere nearby! Of course my students got great enjoyment from this situation.

One spring day after the children went home, Dolly's cage was being cleaned. One of the custodians had her on her perch. I didn't realize she was out of the cage, and my door was open. I spoke to someone going down the hall, she heard my voice and flew across the hall right to me.

I hate to admit this, but it startled me so that I crouched on the floor beside my computer! Dolly then landed on my shoulder. The science teacher and custodian were practically bent double in laughter until the teacher finally said, 'We'd better help her'. It took awhile because the bird kept digging her claws into my shoulder as they tried to retrieve her.

Of course I got a lot of teasing after that episode. On the last day of school for the staff, the PE teacher made a fake bird, called out my name and threw it at me from across the hall. Of course he got the reaction he wanted (I screamed), and then I took off after him, chasing him down the hall. (Mind you, this was before PF and also not when the children were at school!):-)

On the serious side, I admire the work you are doing, Carmen. Many animals will be spared mistreatment because of you.

And I'm glad your fish are doing so well, Carole! I just thought you two would enjoy my bird story!

Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 9/21/02 at 07:20 (095886)

I liked the bird story Suzanne!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/21/02 at 07:59 (095890)

Suzanne, that was hilarious! Even though I had parrots back when I was married, I might still react the same way as you did. The sound of the wings flapping and the surprise of it all would do it, plus I would want to protect my eyes since our birds had a hard time landing accurately (unless I thought to put an arm out as a 'perch' for the bird).

My fish are doing well and they (like me) seem a lot happier in the new house. They are growing!

Carole C

Julie on 9/21/02 at 16:21 (095915)

Suzanne, I'm not the least bit surprised that animals love you!

Re: Glad I made you all smile, and thanks, Julie! (eom)

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 19:58 (095924)

Necee on 9/23/02 at 20:59 (096048)

Thank you Carmen for saying what I've felt for a very long time.
Dogs are very genuine and loyal, as the saying goes...'mans best friend'. I have never understood why someone would get a dog then tie it to a chain in their backyard, never loving it...or giving it any attention. It saddens me when I see this....if they only knew how loyal, and how much love and happiness their dog would give them.
What is even worse is when someone decides they don't want their dog anymore and takes it to some remote area and turns it loose. My husband and I have seen this happen more times than I care to remember. The sights of starving animals desparate for food and water are forever burned in our minds. We have rescued several dogs, and the ones we couldn't get we took food and left in the area in hopes they might find it.

I have a very, very sad story to tell, so if you don't want to read it then please stop now.

Several years ago my husband came home very upset, when I asked him what was wrong he told me about a very disturbing sight he had seen that day.....he was driving down a remote country road when he noticed something in the ditch, it was a dead female dog, obviously dead from starvation....and....laying beside her, barely alive, and still trying to nurse were her babies!!
I tell this in hopes that others might spread the word, and speak out against leaving animals to die a slow and painful death beside the road.

Necee

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 08:25 (096084)

Yes Necee...that is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.
I just feel my heart sink to the floor at the thought of abuse and neglect. Thank YOU for understanding...it is definitely not everyone who understands the true humanity of loving and caring for animals.
The thing is WE brought them into our lives and domesticated them....now people just want to throw them out??? Take responsibility for your actions as a person...you know?
A lot of these people that abuse animals and neglect them are also raising children!!!! Now THAT is sad.

Suzanne D on 9/24/02 at 20:02 (096134)

Necee and Carmen,

Someone dropped off three little Lab puppies near us over the weekend. My daughter and her fiance were out walking about a half mile from here, and the puppies appeared from the edge of some woods and followed them home. They are with us until we can find good homes. Someone is getting one of them tomorrow, and I don't think it will be too hard to find homes for the other two.

We have an older Dalmation who seems to be like a worried parent with these little puppies! He acts as if he has all the responsibility for them on his shoulders!

Also I read a quote this morning that I wanted to share with you two:

'Death is simply blowing out the candle when morning comes'.

I thought you both would appreciate that.

Necee on 9/24/02 at 23:15 (096165)

Oh Suzanne, I wish I was near you....I would take those puppies!! Thank goodness your daughter happened to be walking in that area, or those poor helpless pups would probably have died.

Thank you for sharing that wonderful quote with us, yes I do appreciate it.

How are you doing these days? I know that you've been quite busy with school and all.

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 9/20/02 at 16:35 (095863)

I have a fishtank, which I got less than a year ago. Maybe it was a good idea for me to get fish rather than a puppy or kitten! I get home from work almost ten hours after I leave, on weekdays. A puppy or kitten might get lonely. A bird (which I was also considering) might get REALLY lonely.

My two lyretail mollies don't seem to need attention, other than feeding, cleaning the tank, and so on. They seem very happy and they had a baby during my move into my new home. Fish might be a good solution for people like me who have to leave their pets at home for most of each day. I still enjoy having something living in my house, so that it's not an entirely sterile and lifeless environment. I have plants, too. :)

Carole C

Carmen H on 9/20/02 at 18:08 (095868)

At LEAST you KNOW you don't have the time for them!!! That is soo much more than most people know Carole.
Thanks!!!

Suzanne D on 9/20/02 at 20:53 (095876)

Carole, your comment about considering a bird brought this story to mind...

First of all, you need to know that I never had a pet as a child and - while having compassion for them - I have always been a little uneasy around animals.

Well, four years ago, someone donated a bird in a cage to our science lab which is right across the hall from my classroom. The bird, Dolly, had been trained to say a few things like 'Hello, Dolly!', 'pretty girl', etc.

For some reason, Dolly talked whenever she heard my voice. She would hardly speak around anyone else, but as soon as I started talking or came near her cage, she got all excited and started whistling and talking. Our custodian took care of her and enjoyed coming to get me to show how she could talk whenever someone new came in the school. We had our faculty meetings in the science room, and sometimes they had to put a cloth over the cage to keep poor Dolly quiet if I were anywhere nearby! Of course my students got great enjoyment from this situation.

One spring day after the children went home, Dolly's cage was being cleaned. One of the custodians had her on her perch. I didn't realize she was out of the cage, and my door was open. I spoke to someone going down the hall, she heard my voice and flew across the hall right to me.

I hate to admit this, but it startled me so that I crouched on the floor beside my computer! Dolly then landed on my shoulder. The science teacher and custodian were practically bent double in laughter until the teacher finally said, 'We'd better help her'. It took awhile because the bird kept digging her claws into my shoulder as they tried to retrieve her.

Of course I got a lot of teasing after that episode. On the last day of school for the staff, the PE teacher made a fake bird, called out my name and threw it at me from across the hall. Of course he got the reaction he wanted (I screamed), and then I took off after him, chasing him down the hall. (Mind you, this was before PF and also not when the children were at school!):-)

On the serious side, I admire the work you are doing, Carmen. Many animals will be spared mistreatment because of you.

And I'm glad your fish are doing so well, Carole! I just thought you two would enjoy my bird story!

wendyn on 9/21/02 at 07:20 (095886)

I liked the bird story Suzanne!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/21/02 at 07:59 (095890)

Suzanne, that was hilarious! Even though I had parrots back when I was married, I might still react the same way as you did. The sound of the wings flapping and the surprise of it all would do it, plus I would want to protect my eyes since our birds had a hard time landing accurately (unless I thought to put an arm out as a 'perch' for the bird).

My fish are doing well and they (like me) seem a lot happier in the new house. They are growing!

Carole C

Julie on 9/21/02 at 16:21 (095915)

Suzanne, I'm not the least bit surprised that animals love you!

Re: Glad I made you all smile, and thanks, Julie! (eom)

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 19:58 (095924)

Necee on 9/23/02 at 20:59 (096048)

Thank you Carmen for saying what I've felt for a very long time.
Dogs are very genuine and loyal, as the saying goes...'mans best friend'. I have never understood why someone would get a dog then tie it to a chain in their backyard, never loving it...or giving it any attention. It saddens me when I see this....if they only knew how loyal, and how much love and happiness their dog would give them.
What is even worse is when someone decides they don't want their dog anymore and takes it to some remote area and turns it loose. My husband and I have seen this happen more times than I care to remember. The sights of starving animals desparate for food and water are forever burned in our minds. We have rescued several dogs, and the ones we couldn't get we took food and left in the area in hopes they might find it.

I have a very, very sad story to tell, so if you don't want to read it then please stop now.

Several years ago my husband came home very upset, when I asked him what was wrong he told me about a very disturbing sight he had seen that day.....he was driving down a remote country road when he noticed something in the ditch, it was a dead female dog, obviously dead from starvation....and....laying beside her, barely alive, and still trying to nurse were her babies!!
I tell this in hopes that others might spread the word, and speak out against leaving animals to die a slow and painful death beside the road.

Necee

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 08:25 (096084)

Yes Necee...that is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.
I just feel my heart sink to the floor at the thought of abuse and neglect. Thank YOU for understanding...it is definitely not everyone who understands the true humanity of loving and caring for animals.
The thing is WE brought them into our lives and domesticated them....now people just want to throw them out??? Take responsibility for your actions as a person...you know?
A lot of these people that abuse animals and neglect them are also raising children!!!! Now THAT is sad.

Suzanne D on 9/24/02 at 20:02 (096134)

Necee and Carmen,

Someone dropped off three little Lab puppies near us over the weekend. My daughter and her fiance were out walking about a half mile from here, and the puppies appeared from the edge of some woods and followed them home. They are with us until we can find good homes. Someone is getting one of them tomorrow, and I don't think it will be too hard to find homes for the other two.

We have an older Dalmation who seems to be like a worried parent with these little puppies! He acts as if he has all the responsibility for them on his shoulders!

Also I read a quote this morning that I wanted to share with you two:

'Death is simply blowing out the candle when morning comes'.

I thought you both would appreciate that.

Necee on 9/24/02 at 23:15 (096165)

Oh Suzanne, I wish I was near you....I would take those puppies!! Thank goodness your daughter happened to be walking in that area, or those poor helpless pups would probably have died.

Thank you for sharing that wonderful quote with us, yes I do appreciate it.

How are you doing these days? I know that you've been quite busy with school and all.

Happy trails....

Necee