Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

May I ask you a question, BGCPed?

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 07:41 (095887)

First of all, I want to say that I respect your expertise on shoes and orthotics. Having read and posted for a year here, I have appreciated your posts. I see you as committed and passionate about your work - just as I am about teaching first graders. If I see 'junk' being passed off as educational, it upsets me, and I don't want to see parents (or teachers) spending money and time on something unnecessary/worthless and being taken advantage of in the process. So I understand your points and am always glad to read what you think.

Here's my question: What do you think of SAS walking shoes (Free Time)? I seem to be having good success wearing them with the light blue 3/4 length Birkenstock inserts. I have worn this combination for 6 months. Before that I wore Birkenstocks exclusively for 7 months. (I still wear them at home to take a break from the lace-ups.) I keep the removable insole in the SAS shoes and place the Birk inserts on top of that. With a medium-width shoe, that fits just fine. The inserts lie nice and flat in the shoe; I know I have read that it is important how the shoe and inserts work together.

I still have morning stiffness/minor pain as well as when getting up after sitting for a long period in the car. But for the most part, I can go about my daily job as a first grade teacher without any significant pain. I no longer take the Naproxin prescribed to me which I took for several months. I do stretch routinely, especially in the morning. I can tell that my calves are not tight like they were a year ago.

I did see a podiatrist for several visits who taped my feet, x-rayed, prescribed the NSAID Naproxin, and advised stretching. He did not have too much to say about shoe choice or inserts but seemed pleased with the Birks if they were working for me. Since I am much improved, I have not felt the need to go back to him, but I did want to know your opinion on my shoes.

I teach in a nice old building with wooden floors, but we are moving to a new building in January with - of course - concrete and tile. So, while I am happy with what seems to be working well, I wondered if you thought any other shoe would even be better from your perspective. I might mention that I wear a women's size 11 and have a narrow heel. (Most of my life all my shoes either were too tight in the forefoot if the heel fit or too loose in the heel if the forefoot had enough room.) It appears to me that I have a normal to high arch.

I have never worn athletic shoes in the past other than Keds and some Rebok DMX Walkers which I purchased when my foot pain first began and promptly disposed of after reading on this site for a while. My own instincts told me that my feet felt worse in them. My daughters wear New Balance, and I tried on a pair once, but I liked my SAS shoes better. However, if they would be better for me on the concrete floors, I will give them another look.

Thank you for any opinion you might offer.

Suzanne :-)

Re: I actually meant to post this on the Shoes/Inserts...board. I have reposted it there as well. Sorry for the confusion! (eom)

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 07:45 (095889)

Re: Suzanne, is there any possibility.....

Carole C in NOLA on 9/21/02 at 08:05 (095891)

Suzanne, is there any possibility of getting a student teacher or teacher's aide to help you for a few months after the move? I am thinking that maybe you could sit a little more if you had a helper. Of course, with first graders it must be challenging or impossible to find time to sit.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 08:21 (095892)

Thank you, Carole, for the thought and suggestion. I appreciate your concern.

Actually, budget cuts have affected our teacher/assistant ratio. It used to be that I shared an assistant with another teacher. Now, there are two assistants hired to help 5 of us. I have the 'split' - one assistant for an hour in the morning and the other for almost an hour in the afternoon. I appreicate all the help they are able to give, of course.

Now a student teacher is another matter. They can be of help, as well, although they require extra work and supervision. This year, I don't think I could do justice to having one as I know I will be spending time helping my daughter in any way I can during the spring semester. (She will living at home and doing her student teaching beginning in January at another school, of course.) I also am teaching extended school classes two afternoons a week as I need some extra money this year with her wedding coming up in April! So that would cut into the time I have to work after school with a student teacher.

Well, that's more than you wanted to know :-), but you know how wordy I can be! I do thank you again for your thoughts.

Have a nice weekend!

BGCPed on 9/22/02 at 18:19 (095974)

I posted in the shoe/orthotic area

Re: I actually meant to post this on the Shoes/Inserts...board. I have reposted it there as well. Sorry for the confusion! (eom)

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 07:45 (095889)

Carole C in NOLA on 9/21/02 at 08:05 (095891)

Suzanne, is there any possibility of getting a student teacher or teacher's aide to help you for a few months after the move? I am thinking that maybe you could sit a little more if you had a helper. Of course, with first graders it must be challenging or impossible to find time to sit.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/21/02 at 08:21 (095892)

Thank you, Carole, for the thought and suggestion. I appreciate your concern.

Actually, budget cuts have affected our teacher/assistant ratio. It used to be that I shared an assistant with another teacher. Now, there are two assistants hired to help 5 of us. I have the 'split' - one assistant for an hour in the morning and the other for almost an hour in the afternoon. I appreicate all the help they are able to give, of course.

Now a student teacher is another matter. They can be of help, as well, although they require extra work and supervision. This year, I don't think I could do justice to having one as I know I will be spending time helping my daughter in any way I can during the spring semester. (She will living at home and doing her student teaching beginning in January at another school, of course.) I also am teaching extended school classes two afternoons a week as I need some extra money this year with her wedding coming up in April! So that would cut into the time I have to work after school with a student teacher.

Well, that's more than you wanted to know :-), but you know how wordy I can be! I do thank you again for your thoughts.

Have a nice weekend!

BGCPed on 9/22/02 at 18:19 (095974)

I posted in the shoe/orthotic area