Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have been getting ACCUPUNTURE

Posted by Kelus on 9/21/02 at 22:00 (095933)

Hi, I haven't visited here in a long time, but just wanted to share some things with you.

I have been getting ACCUPUNCTURE, and it seems to be working.

If nothing else, it is helping my stress levels.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Take care, Kelus

Re: I have been getting ACCUPUNTURE

wendyn on 9/22/02 at 12:57 (095959)

I've used acupuncture, and I'm quite certain that it helped me.

Re: To: Wendyn

Kelus on 9/22/02 at 13:58 (095967)

Hi,

How long before you noticed a difference?
I noticed a difference after two visits.!!

take care, Kelus

Vicki W on 9/22/02 at 19:53 (095980)

A friend of mine swears by it. She said that accupuncture cured her PF. She told me that when I quit fooling around with different kinds of conventional treatments, I should go to her accupuncture dr. I am skeptical, but maybe she is right? At least there seems to be other people here who are having success with it.

Re: To Kelus

wendyn on 9/22/02 at 22:57 (095992)

Kelus, I think I noticed things happening after the first visit (strange sensations etc). I would say that I started to notice an improvement after the 3rd visit or so. I highly recommend it as a safe alternative to anyone who is dealing with chronic pain.

My PT was trained in both medical and traditional acupuncture. It was a good combination, and because she was also a PT - she could do manipulations and give me the standard physio treatmentas well.

She moved too far away for me, otherwise I think I'd still be going at least once in a while.

p.s. I was NOT a 'believer' in acupuncture. I don't think it helped because I thought it would, I think it helped in spite of the fact that I thought it wouldn't.

Julie on 9/23/02 at 01:37 (095994)

Acupuncture has proven its effectiveness in the treatment of a great many conditions. It could certainly help, and if it didn't,. would at least do no harm, But if you do decide to try it, please don't throw the entire conventional bag of treatments out of the window. Regard acupuncture as an adjunct to a sensible, well-planned treatment package.

Have you read the heel pain book, and have you been seen and diagnosed by a podiatrist?

Re: To: VICKI (accupuncture)

Kelus on 9/23/02 at 15:25 (096024)

Well, I am not at all cured, but I do feel better.

If nothing else, my mood and stress level is decreased,
big-time!!! She is really helping me relax, which is something
I haven't done in years.

I am also using a 'tens unit' which is also helping.

take care, Kelus

wendyn on 9/22/02 at 12:57 (095959)

I've used acupuncture, and I'm quite certain that it helped me.

Re: To: Wendyn

Kelus on 9/22/02 at 13:58 (095967)

Hi,

How long before you noticed a difference?
I noticed a difference after two visits.!!

take care, Kelus

Vicki W on 9/22/02 at 19:53 (095980)

A friend of mine swears by it. She said that accupuncture cured her PF. She told me that when I quit fooling around with different kinds of conventional treatments, I should go to her accupuncture dr. I am skeptical, but maybe she is right? At least there seems to be other people here who are having success with it.

Re: To Kelus

wendyn on 9/22/02 at 22:57 (095992)

Kelus, I think I noticed things happening after the first visit (strange sensations etc). I would say that I started to notice an improvement after the 3rd visit or so. I highly recommend it as a safe alternative to anyone who is dealing with chronic pain.

My PT was trained in both medical and traditional acupuncture. It was a good combination, and because she was also a PT - she could do manipulations and give me the standard physio treatmentas well.

She moved too far away for me, otherwise I think I'd still be going at least once in a while.

p.s. I was NOT a 'believer' in acupuncture. I don't think it helped because I thought it would, I think it helped in spite of the fact that I thought it wouldn't.

Julie on 9/23/02 at 01:37 (095994)

Acupuncture has proven its effectiveness in the treatment of a great many conditions. It could certainly help, and if it didn't,. would at least do no harm, But if you do decide to try it, please don't throw the entire conventional bag of treatments out of the window. Regard acupuncture as an adjunct to a sensible, well-planned treatment package.

Have you read the heel pain book, and have you been seen and diagnosed by a podiatrist?

Kelus on 9/23/02 at 15:25 (096024)

Well, I am not at all cured, but I do feel better.

If nothing else, my mood and stress level is decreased,
big-time!!! She is really helping me relax, which is something
I haven't done in years.

I am also using a 'tens unit' which is also helping.

take care, Kelus

Rosie on 10/04/03 at 10:51 (132168)

What is 'tens Unit'

I have had 2 accupunture treatments for pain & I barely have any at this time--one little twinge ever now & then in one spot of my leg & one little twinge in my back if I overdue myself.

John H on 10/04/03 at 12:30 (132173)

Rosie: A TENS unit is a small electrical device you wear on your belt or where ever about the size of a the size of a deck of cards. It has 2-4 small wires that run to small pads that you place on areas specified by your doctor or physical thearapist. The theory is that the electrial impulses block the pain signals to your brain. They are in very common use in hospitals and many people wear them much of the time for neck pain, back pain,etc. They are not practical for PF as the pads would tend to fall off. You can rent them to see if they work before you buy one. They can be very effective. They are no cure but are an FDA pain control device.

John H on 10/04/03 at 12:53 (132175)

Rosie: go to http://www.ebay.com and do a search under TENS and you will a number of them. Some are rather inexpensive.

Dorothy on 10/04/03 at 15:00 (132189)

Rosie ~
John H. already gave you an excellent answer. The only thing I would add is that 'TENS' stands for Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators (TENS). Transcutaneous would mean 'across the skin'.