Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

casts for pf

Posted by joannie M on 9/22/02 at 12:28 (095955)

after trying almost everything else, my pod is considering casting my foot for 3-6 weeks to give it a real rest. i work on my feet all day on a stone floor, and keep re-injuring it. anyone have this done?

Re: casts for pf

Dr. Z on 9/22/02 at 13:23 (095964)

A cast is a very good method to rest the foot and at the same time be able to stand and work.. Could cause atrophy of the calf muscles. So prolonged casted can cause secondary problem. Good choice to consider if you must stand and work all day long.

john h on 9/23/02 at 13:38 (096017)

Dr. Z: Over the years I have seen on this board both positive results and very negative results from casting. One of my local Orthos said very much the same thing. We have had some people post who had been in wheelchairs for a considerable length of time and who were no better. Who knows?

jan H. on 9/23/02 at 16:24 (096028)

I'm limping along right behind you. The POD cast my foot about 3 weeks ago-can't work without a full shoe though, so I'm off. I think just the rest from work is helping more than the cast-but at this point-this is my last stop before surgery. After my left foot comes out of the cast-the right one will go in. Hope it does help us both.

R C on 9/23/02 at 21:27 (096052)

I tried it, and it worked. My humble advice: (1) Use crutches, if possible (2) ease back into activity very gradually, with the help of a physical therapist, or else you may re-injure. Best wishes--

Dr. Z on 9/22/02 at 13:23 (095964)

A cast is a very good method to rest the foot and at the same time be able to stand and work.. Could cause atrophy of the calf muscles. So prolonged casted can cause secondary problem. Good choice to consider if you must stand and work all day long.

john h on 9/23/02 at 13:38 (096017)

Dr. Z: Over the years I have seen on this board both positive results and very negative results from casting. One of my local Orthos said very much the same thing. We have had some people post who had been in wheelchairs for a considerable length of time and who were no better. Who knows?

jan H. on 9/23/02 at 16:24 (096028)

I'm limping along right behind you. The POD cast my foot about 3 weeks ago-can't work without a full shoe though, so I'm off. I think just the rest from work is helping more than the cast-but at this point-this is my last stop before surgery. After my left foot comes out of the cast-the right one will go in. Hope it does help us both.

R C on 9/23/02 at 21:27 (096052)

I tried it, and it worked. My humble advice: (1) Use crutches, if possible (2) ease back into activity very gradually, with the help of a physical therapist, or else you may re-injure. Best wishes--