Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf, yoga, and hamstring pain

Posted by Lynn K. on 9/22/02 at 18:40 (095977)

Hi Scott,
This is a very helpful site. My pf came on quite suddenly about 3-4 weeks ago upon getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I'm active, not overweight, and wonder if hatha yoga--which I've been doing 1-3 times a week could have brought it on. Also, I can sometimes feel fascial pain all the way up to my hamstring (along the calf), and this is the same leg that gives me sciatic pain. Are there any correlations between these two problems? Do you recommend stretching of the entire leg? Also, is it possible that with the hatha yoga I have OVERSTRETCHED the plantar fascia and am having an overstretch syndrome or 'rebound' type response? I'm icing, stretching, resting as much as I can stand (I'm REALLY missing my ocassional runs--onlyh 1-2 times a weeks--and long walks), and looking into arch supports. How do people stay sane with this? Thanks so much. Lynn K.

Re: pf, yoga, and hamstring pain

Vito B on 9/24/02 at 15:18 (096116)

Lynn I practice Bikram Yoga and though I do not have any heel pain (only back pain) I do know for a fact that you can overstretch your muscles and that can cause pain up and through your calf i.e sciatic pain. My reccomendation is to go lightly on stretching in yoga class, ice the pain and low impact sports. Good Luck

Vito

Re: pf, yoga, and hamstring pain

Vito B on 9/24/02 at 15:18 (096116)

Lynn I practice Bikram Yoga and though I do not have any heel pain (only back pain) I do know for a fact that you can overstretch your muscles and that can cause pain up and through your calf i.e sciatic pain. My reccomendation is to go lightly on stretching in yoga class, ice the pain and low impact sports. Good Luck

Vito