Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hopeless case of PF due to shape of foot?

Posted by Wendy B. on 9/22/02 at 21:42 (095984)

I have had PF for almost a year now. About nine months ago, I saw a highly recomended podiatrist who took casts of my feet and gave me some custom orthotics. They definitely helped but I still have pain in my feet - basically whenever I try to do anything besides rest. I'm really struggling with this, because I was very active before PF hit. I really want to go for hikes or runs again. I went back to my podiatrist a week ago and she more-or-less declared that I was stuck with PF for the rest of my life, based on the shape of my feet. So my question for the Foot Doctors is: can a podiatrist really diagnose the hopelessness of a case by looking at somebody's feet for a few minutes? If so, I'm wondering why I didn't always have PF, if my feet are so hopeless. She said it is because I'm getting older (just turned 30). I feel like we haven't exhausted all conservative treatment and the idea of being sedentary for the rest of my life is too depressing to contemplate.

Are there really foot types that are simply destined to be plagued by PF?

Re: hopeless case of PF due to shape of foot?

Julie on 9/23/02 at 01:45 (095995)

Wendy, I'm not a doctor, I'm someone who has had PF and recovered from it. I'm sure one of the doctors will answer you, but I'd love to get my two cents in now because I'm going away for a couple of weeks tomorrow.

This is my two cents. Well, it's really only one cent.

Go see another podiatrist.

I do think some foot types are probably more prone to PF than others, but whatever the shape of your feet, your pod ought to have done a lot more than look at them and dismiss you as a hopeless case! It sounds as though she tried the one thing she thought might work nine months ago, and doesn't want to be bothered working with you now that it hasn't worked.

And read the heel pain book on this website. You'll find it a helpful, hopeful source of information. There is much that can be done.

Don't give up. Good luck!

Mahatmelissama on 9/24/02 at 19:18 (096130)

Wendy,

I go to a chiropractor since none of the Pods I saw would help me much due to HMO restraints.

I pay a little more out of pocket to see a chiro since he takes A LOT OF TIME with me. I also wear orthotics that are comfortable for me.

My advice is not to run off to a chiro, but to not give up because of one crack smoking doctor. There are some wonderful pods out there. Try to find one that will give you the time of day.

I got so fed up with my medical group in my area, I found a good chiro that was in my range of money. It is important to me that somebody validates my pain and takes me seriously. I would see my chiropractor if he were a pod if he acted the same way. He actually THANKS ME when I leave his office!

I could go on and on about this but will stop here. Just don't let some body with a TUDE get you down!

My feet are HIGH 'Germanic' feet (told that by some peds I saw before), the WORST kind for PF and they ARE getting better. It takes me also though using my electronic foot massager, wearing orotics..not going barefoot etc. THERE IS HOPE...hang in there.

Julie on 9/23/02 at 01:45 (095995)

Wendy, I'm not a doctor, I'm someone who has had PF and recovered from it. I'm sure one of the doctors will answer you, but I'd love to get my two cents in now because I'm going away for a couple of weeks tomorrow.

This is my two cents. Well, it's really only one cent.

Go see another podiatrist.

I do think some foot types are probably more prone to PF than others, but whatever the shape of your feet, your pod ought to have done a lot more than look at them and dismiss you as a hopeless case! It sounds as though she tried the one thing she thought might work nine months ago, and doesn't want to be bothered working with you now that it hasn't worked.

And read the heel pain book on this website. You'll find it a helpful, hopeful source of information. There is much that can be done.

Don't give up. Good luck!

Mahatmelissama on 9/24/02 at 19:18 (096130)

Wendy,

I go to a chiropractor since none of the Pods I saw would help me much due to HMO restraints.

I pay a little more out of pocket to see a chiro since he takes A LOT OF TIME with me. I also wear orthotics that are comfortable for me.

My advice is not to run off to a chiro, but to not give up because of one crack smoking doctor. There are some wonderful pods out there. Try to find one that will give you the time of day.

I got so fed up with my medical group in my area, I found a good chiro that was in my range of money. It is important to me that somebody validates my pain and takes me seriously. I would see my chiropractor if he were a pod if he acted the same way. He actually THANKS ME when I leave his office!

I could go on and on about this but will stop here. Just don't let some body with a TUDE get you down!

My feet are HIGH 'Germanic' feet (told that by some peds I saw before), the WORST kind for PF and they ARE getting better. It takes me also though using my electronic foot massager, wearing orotics..not going barefoot etc. THERE IS HOPE...hang in there.