Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New pains, do I need a new dr

Posted by matts on 9/22/02 at 22:05 (095987)

The best pod in our town referred me to a foot and ankle ortho 10 months ago and he said the only option was brace or surgery, so i wore a afo brace for seven months with some pain releif. Main problem according to both pod and ortho was posterial tibial tendonitis.

Now have pain above ankle bone, along outside of foot center of arch and some tendon pain too. When I called to make an appt with ortho they said I should be prepared to talk surgery, but I do not think I am ready yet,

Should i find another dr who will try something else or try to convince this one to do something other than surgery. I have tried alot of things might like to try some again if had a chance and if new symtoms mean someting else.

Any recommendations on whether to see new dr or keep trying with this one? I do not usually change dr, but I am thinking about it Thanks.

Re: New pains, do I need a new dr

Laurie R on 9/23/02 at 06:17 (095998)

Hi Matts , Sorry to hear you are in pain, that is something we all understand and know all to well.....Yes you should by all means go and see a new doctor for a second opinion ....... I would not rush into to surgery , especially if you have not gotten a second opinion... I had about 5 different opinions before I had my surgery .... I am very happy with the outcome of my surgery , but as you may read not everyone has a happy ending ....

It was my Pod that sent me to all the different doctors .... He wanted to make sure that surgery was going to help me.... I waited three years before I had surgery ....

To be honest with you , I would get as many opinions as you can . Plus I would go to different kinds of doctors , Ortho , Pod , ect.

My best to you , Laurie R

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 19:28 (096132)

I agree with Laurie--
It's a really good idea to gather as much information from as many people as possible before deciding. I like Laurie's idea of seeing a variety of doctors who specialize in different aspects of foot problems. You never know who might have an answer for you.
I hope you can get some help soon!
Ellen J.

matts on 9/25/02 at 18:13 (096220)

Thanks both of you for encouragement to see someone else. I am to see the ortho on Tuesday. This dr is in a town 140 miles away, but i am going to see him and see what he says about options other than surgery. He is known by my original pod who i like a lot. The pod wanted me to see someone else and he says this guy is good foot and ankle. I feel like my foot is getting worse again, like achilles pain, this is new, but high arch pain plus along the outside by the bump is still hurting. Tendon pain is still there also, that is not new. Anyway I hoping for a new treatment suggestion.

Laurie R on 9/25/02 at 20:10 (096230)

Hi Matt , I am so glad to hear you will be seeing another doctor .... That is great , I am sorry to hear that he is so far away , but it sounds like he will be worth your long drive... Please keep us posted ok ? Laurie R

Laurie R on 9/23/02 at 06:17 (095998)

Hi Matts , Sorry to hear you are in pain, that is something we all understand and know all to well.....Yes you should by all means go and see a new doctor for a second opinion ....... I would not rush into to surgery , especially if you have not gotten a second opinion... I had about 5 different opinions before I had my surgery .... I am very happy with the outcome of my surgery , but as you may read not everyone has a happy ending ....

It was my Pod that sent me to all the different doctors .... He wanted to make sure that surgery was going to help me.... I waited three years before I had surgery ....

To be honest with you , I would get as many opinions as you can . Plus I would go to different kinds of doctors , Ortho , Pod , ect.

My best to you , Laurie R

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 19:28 (096132)

I agree with Laurie--
It's a really good idea to gather as much information from as many people as possible before deciding. I like Laurie's idea of seeing a variety of doctors who specialize in different aspects of foot problems. You never know who might have an answer for you.
I hope you can get some help soon!
Ellen J.

matts on 9/25/02 at 18:13 (096220)

Thanks both of you for encouragement to see someone else. I am to see the ortho on Tuesday. This dr is in a town 140 miles away, but i am going to see him and see what he says about options other than surgery. He is known by my original pod who i like a lot. The pod wanted me to see someone else and he says this guy is good foot and ankle. I feel like my foot is getting worse again, like achilles pain, this is new, but high arch pain plus along the outside by the bump is still hurting. Tendon pain is still there also, that is not new. Anyway I hoping for a new treatment suggestion.

Laurie R on 9/25/02 at 20:10 (096230)

Hi Matt , I am so glad to hear you will be seeing another doctor .... That is great , I am sorry to hear that he is so far away , but it sounds like he will be worth your long drive... Please keep us posted ok ? Laurie R