Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Story , my surgery update

Posted by Laurie R on 9/23/02 at 06:51 (095999)

Hi to Everyone , Well it sure has been a while since I have posted an update ..... I wanted to take some time off to heal after my foot and ankle surgery ..... I had surgery on May 7.02 .. I had a PF release as well as a TT release and I had my tendons cleaned out ... I had my ankle cut open about 4 inch incision and also a little incision on the bottom of my foot .. I also had a fibroma removed .....

My foot pain started in June of 99 after I twisted my foot at work . I was a bartender my whole adult life.... I worked hard on my feet every night . After I hurt my foot I continued to work on my feet for three months . Then I met my Pod ... He took me off work right away ... I had casts , meds , orthotics , night splints , MRI , EMG , x-rays cortisone injections , Biofeedback , taping , PT , tenogram , second third forth opinions on my foot .....

My Pod wanted to try everything before surgery . I not only have all these foot problems , but I also have RSD , so my two doctors had to make sure surgery was not going to make my RSD worse.....

I have two wonderful doctors , one is a Pain management doctor and the other is a Pod .....They work together on my case . Now I also have a nurse case manager that comes to all my doctors appointment , she is to over see everything as my case is a difficult one ....

I am very happy with the results of my surgery ......My tendon pain is gone .... I still have pain of course , but now I am on the ' right ' pain meds for my RSD which has helped a lot ..

I have also had 9 nerve blocks for the RSD ( SNB) ... On the day of my surgery I also had a epidural catheter implanted in my spine and I was to keep it in for 6 weeks post opp ..... It was to help control my pain and to keep the RSD under control .....

The catheter line broke only after about a week and half , so it had to be removed ......I will say I did not have much post opp pain at all . The catheter was pumping Fentanly throuhg my spine .....

I did go to pt about 6 weeks post opp , but it sent me into a RSD flare up ... I was going because I got a large lump of scar tissue on my fascia , it was very , very painful . At PT they were trying to brake up the lump ... It did not work ......

I have gotten 3 cortisone injections in the lump and they really helped ... The lump is a lot smaller .....

It has been a very long road with my foot problems ..... I have learned so very much along the way ....I want to thank everyone from this site , for your love and compassion and just understanding ......I have met so many wonderful friends that I feel will be life long friends .... If I did not hurt my foot I would of never met you kind wonderful people ... I don't wish what I went through on anyone , but their is positive in everything we do in life.....

My anxiety is very much under control now , if you can remember , I thought it was going to kill me at one point ... I still take meds for it and to me the meds have been a life saver .....

At this point my pod does not want me to rush anything , as he has said I am his most difficult case , no surprise ... I just asked him at my last visit a few weeks ago , are you learning from my case , he said yes.... To me that is great , if he can take what he has learned from my foot to help someone else , that is wonderful to me ......

MY Pod and my PM doc have bent over backwards for me ....From the start they have always treated me with respect and compassion . I am very lucky to have both of them treating me ......The key also after surgery was to get me on the right meds ......

I take one day at a time , I have good days and bad , but I will tell you , I am so very glad I had my surgery .....I know surgery is not right for everyone , but I feel the most impotant thing is to get the right diagnosis and try everything you can before surgery ......

Well everyone this is my update . I have been wanting to wirte this for a while now , I just did not know really what to say ... I woke up this am at 3:00 am and said , this is the perfect time to write on the heelpspurs board...

I hope you all remember me , I will never forget all the wonderful people here ..... YOu all are always in my heart .....If I can help just anyone , I am here and always willing to help ........

Bless all of you , Much love , Laurie R

Re: Laurie

wendyn on 9/23/02 at 07:33 (096001)

Laurie, what I nice thing to wake up to this morning! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well, and that you're on the road to recovery.

Re: Wonderful, Laurie!

Julie on 9/23/02 at 07:38 (096002)

Welcome back, Laurie. We've missed you, but your wonderful post was worth waiting for. You're the supreme example here of how to deal with pain, and turn an unfortunate happening into a learning experience. You're wonderful and I am proud to be amongst your friends.

Re: My Story , my surgery update

Necee on 9/23/02 at 08:00 (096003)

Great to see you posting again Laurie, even though we keep in touch via email, it's nice to see you back here!
Hope that you continue to improve, as I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya friend,

Necee

Re: glad for you!

elliott on 9/23/02 at 08:48 (096006)

I still think of you often. Can I ask are you able to walk? painfree?

[[[[[

Re: Laurie, I am so happy for you

Missy B on 9/23/02 at 09:44 (096008)

Laurie,
It is great to hear from you again. I am so glad that you are doing well and your progress is very encouraging. As you point out, finding the right doctors can make all the difference between success and failure when it comes to foot pain and/or RSD. You sound like you have found two wonderful doctors and I hope they continue to work together during what I suspect will be a long, but positive recovery.

As for good days and bad days, I still have those too. My PF/TT surgery was last January, and I can truthfully say that my good days far outnumber my bad ones, but I still have one pop up every now and then. Just last week I had a day at work when I began to worry that I was backsliding because I had more discomfort than usual. But the next day was almost pain free. I guess my foot will always be a little unpredictable, but at least I am enjoying a somewhat active life again.

I hope you will continue to post here - your story can be an inspiration to many and because of all you have been through, you can offer a lot of support to those who come here for help, answers, or just a friend to listen. And remember, we will always be here for you too - to cheer you on through the good days and offer support during the bad ones.

Missy B.

Suzanne D on 9/23/02 at 11:23 (096010)

Laurie, I join many others in being very happy to find your post today and so pleased that you are making progress! Your positive attitude is unsurpassed; I know that has been - and will continue to be - a great help in your healing process.

Please continue to post as you have the time and energy. You are missed when you're absent. You are an example to us all of courage and good attitude!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Laurie, you are an angel

Valerie S on 9/23/02 at 11:31 (096012)

Thank you Laurie, once again, as you were one of my guardian angels when I was at my lowest with PF and believing the world had ended. If anyone deserves a full recovery, it is you! I know you have been through so much and for so long it seemed like it just kept getting worse for you. I am glad to hear that much of your pain is gone, and you are headed toward recovery and that walk on the beach. We are all cheering for you. It is so good to see you posting again. Thanks for taking the time to share with us how you are doing. We miss you. I think of you and pray for you often.

Your friend, Val.

Re: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS

Laurie R on 9/23/02 at 20:55 (096047)

Hi Elliott and everyone , first off I want to thank you all for your kind words to me . They mean more then I could say ...... Ok Elliott to answer your question , yes sometimes I can now ... Can you believe that ? But fromt he start I had more pain being off my feet then on .... Still the same for now .... But my tendon pain is gone ... Like I said , surgery for me was a great choice and I am so glad I had it done ..... Now I still deal and live with RSD that is in a class all by itself .... It flares up sometimes terrible , but other times it is not so bad .....

I think I am healing great from the surgery , I had a lot of stuff done while in surgery ... I think my Pod figured I was only going to have one surgery so he did it all ....

It is very sad for me to read how many people had bad outcomes from their surgeries , it really brakes me heart ....I am very lucky to have two awesome doctors , and my Pod from the start took his time with me ... He told me that his surgery on me had to be perfect ... The word perfect scares me and is not one I use a lot , but I knew what he ment ...

Elliott , how are you doing now adays ? How is your pain level ? When you have time I would really like to hear how you are doing ... Ok I am going to piss you off now , but I just have to do this for old times ok here is goes .....

((((((((((((((((((ELLIOTT)))))))))))))) One big hug for you .......LOL

My best to all of you wonderful and kind people ..... An extra special thanks to my very special and dear friend Julie who went out of her way to help me in my lowest time of need ..... Thank you Julie from my heart for all you have done for me ....You and my dear friend Nancy S are the ones that got me on the right track to learn how to deal with my terrible panic disorder ......

I feel I have so many people to thank . I never ever forget when someone was kind to me NEVER .... So many here have touched my heart ..... One day if Scoot does not mind , I am going to make a list of each of you and how your have touched my heart and life .... I have so many special things I am going to say about you all ......

Much love to all , Laurie R

Re: The sweet smell of success :*)

BrianG on 9/23/02 at 21:20 (096050)

Hi Laurie,

Thanks so much for the update, we are all happy that your surgery was so successful. And with time, I know you are going to be feeling even better. There is one thing that JUMPS OUT at me when I read your story. Your doc had the good sense to take you out of work 3 months after your injury. And you did your part, by listening to him, and resting when it was most important.

I think we all have something to learn from your case. I'm guilty of it myself, trying to work through the pain. I know some people can do it, with minor cases, but I have to believe the majority of us that have had PF for years, made that one very big mistake at the beginning of our injury.

Best wishes my friend, you have overcome some great odds! Also, the healing will continue, and your patience will eventually pay off wih even more healing.

Regards
BrianG

Anthony P on 9/23/02 at 21:37 (096054)

Laurie, HI , Great to see you back on the board again : ) We missed your always kind and helpful posts .
I'm so happy that things are going well for you and your happy with the results from surgery.
My Best Anthony P : )

Re: Laurie and all

Julie on 9/23/02 at 23:41 (096069)

Thank you Laurie! You know I was glad to help. And I'm so glad that your panic disorder is under control now.

You know what, Laurie? You are a true healer.

I'm off to Crete in ten minutes, so I'll say goodbye to you and everyone for two weeks.

See you soon. Take care,

Love to everyone

Julie

john h on 9/24/02 at 09:22 (096089)

Laurie: As one who seems to have suffered more than most I sincerely hope your life is turning around and the pain greatly subsiding. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

JudyS on 9/24/02 at 11:16 (096103)

Laurie I've been hoping to see your name in print here for awhile now and I'm so glad you were able to update us so well.

I want to tell you about something that I noticed immediately with your words today - you have written down your thoughts, feelings and experiences as well as darn near any writer I've ever read. How you wrote today compared with how you had to write a year ago when you were completely at your wits' end is truly remarkable.

I hope you'll permit me to say that a different Laurie wrote these words today and, yet again, the rest of us get to learn a lesson from your angel-like nature. I salute you, my friend, and I hope to always benifit from the insights you've been forced to come to terms with.

JudyS on 9/24/02 at 11:19 (096104)

welcome home, John :)

nancy s. on 9/24/02 at 11:27 (096105)

laurie, you are a unique, very special kind of inspiration. your nature makes it very easy to reach out to you, and your courage, determination, and hard work in dealing with everything the past three years still knock my socks off!
nancy

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 14:55 (096115)

My Goodness , You all have made my day !!! Judy , of course you may say anything about me .. Your post has really made me feel so good .... As you all know I have always been so hard on myself for my writing . You have to know that I have lived with dyslexia my whole life and I did not learn to read till I was 16 . Of course I have come a long way , but it is always in the back of my head that I can't write or spell well..... So waht you just said to me Judy was just awesome and my me feel so good......Thank you from the bottom of my heart.....

Dearest Nancy , Thank you , wow , I guess we don't realize how others see us or feel about us ....

I have always loved this board , to me I have made life long friends ... I am just blown away by the replys I got from everyone ...

My goal in life is to help anyone that may need or want my help . I am taking what I have been through and what I go through everyday with RSD and my other foot problems and making it postitive ....No pitty here . I feel if you take one thing from everything you go through in life , you are ahead of the game .... Pain is terrible to live with everyday , but I feel you can control some of it . Of course I have pain everyday still , but I try not to give into it . I can't work and may never be able to ever work again , but I have learned to deal with what has been given to me .

I am so blessed in so many other ways .... I am going to ask my kids and Rico to read this thread . I am so proud of all of you ...... Thank you for everything you all have warm my heart ......

THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU ........ Much love always , Laurie R

Janet C on 9/24/02 at 16:08 (096121)

Dear Laurie ~

As you know, I've been having some computer problems the last couple of days, so I apologize for not posting a response to you sooner.

Although late, I wanted to jump in here and tell you that I couldn't be happier for you... I pray for you every day that God will look down upon you and bless you, and heal you with His touch... and it is so good to hear the joy in your words, that our prayers have been heard!

Along with our prayers, you have shown wisdom, and have been cautious and diligent with your feet, which I'm sure is the key to a successful outcome. Congratulations for all the improvements that you've made, and may you continue to feel better every day!

There's a saying, 'It's not WHAT happens to you that matters. It's what you DO with what happens to you that is important.' And through your example, you have shown that this is true.

God bless you now and always... With Love ~ Janet

elliott on 9/24/02 at 20:20 (096137)

Really an inspiration to hear of your progress and see you post again. The positive side of RSD is that since its diagnosis is rather new, maybe there are chances for some major breakthroughs in the near future. I had just one scope-guided epidural and that was enough, so I think a lot about those shots you must get in the back regularly and live with that.

Me? I have some positive things and some less so. But this thread's about you; maybe I'll talk later about me.

I still dream one day I have the privilege to drop in to your bar in the middle of my run and you pour me a drink on the house as we talk of the good ole days, or better, actually re-live them. Fantasy, maybe, but we need our dreams.

Hey, I'll take your hugs anytime, but with Rico reading this thread I might have to pass this time--I hear the Italians are real jealous. :-) All the best.

[[[[[[[]]]]]]]

Re: Elliott

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 20:34 (096139)

Dear Elliott , YOu are too funny!!! Frist off Rico is not Italian ,I am ... He is Mexican ...... Plus he knows how much everyone here has helped me so he does not care at all if I give out hugs.. You should see me in real life , I even hug my doctors... I hug everyone , that is the Italian in me .. :)

Now if I was still able to work I would of love to buy you a drink. Boy how I miss the good old days of working .... They say I can't ever go back to that type of work again . But like you say we can dream of it ... That is one thing , no one can take our dreams from us ....

Now this is not my thread , I asked how you are doing and I really would like to hear how you are .... Only if you want to tell .....

You should a lot different Elliott , I am trying to figure out why .. It a good thing .....

It has been so great to come back here and see and hear all the wonderful things everyone has said about me... I think I may get a big head after this . I sure have missed everyone ....

Ok my best to you always Elliott ....

Now don't be silly take the hug this time .....

((((((((((((((((ELLIOTT ))))))))))))))))

Laurie R

PS why did you get a epidural ? To me now , they are no big deal at all . But my PM doc drugs me up good , I don't feel a thing at all. Just the way I like it . And it helps so much when I am in a RSD flare up ... Do you also have RSD ??

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 20:39 (096144)

Dearest Sweet Angel Janet~ , You are the best , you know I think the world of you . It was you that helped me to learn and understand RSD ... You know I call you my RSD sister . For all you go through each and everyday , you have always took the time to help me . My 1000's of questions and just your gentle words of wisdom you always give me .

I can't even count how many times I have wrote to you in a panic ... To many to count .... See I took your advise and came back to the board .. :)

You are truly my angel of light and I am so very blessed that you and I have become such great friends ... YOu have helped me more then words can say .....I thank you from the bottom of my heart .....

Much love to you always , Laurie R

I hope you get your pc all fixed up , I don't know what I would do if I could not talk to you everyday :)

elliott on 9/24/02 at 22:40 (096160)

OK, then, I won't wait any longer:

((((((((((((((((LAURIE))))))))))))))))

If you were back at work, you wouldn't need to buy me a drink, cause your old boss, who no doubt once valued you so much, wouldn't mind you giving out an occasional free drink to your hugging friends, especially those carrying no change in their running shorts. :-)

On the good side, I think I'm past the worst with the TTS in my left foot. It was near unbearable the last two years, with setback even post-surgery, but in the last few months has now settled down a lot(!!!), maybe that's why me too. I am just so happy about that and less edgy. (In retrospect I should've taken medication during that time.) I'm hoping another six months or a year and this foot will be near-perfect. While the TTS in my other (right) foot went away with the surgery, that foot has weakened over the past two years and in the last two months has felt near constant collapse around the entire instep and it is painful to walk. It's been diagnosed recently as an elevated first metatarsal causing instability (I hope the diagnosis completely explains all my symptoms), but I'm sure some of it came as a result of the surgery, since it felt newly wrong when I woke up and that feeling never went away. I found great shoes, orthotics, clogs that help, but it is hard to live with this forever. I'm considering a surgery requiring several incisions and involving osteotomies and fusions, which will change the shape of my foot from flat and flabby to high-arched and sexy. :-) The surgeon I would use is considered by many the best in the state, although his technique would not necessarily be exactly the same as others'. It sounds scary, despite the stated high chances of success (some have heard that before) and, unbelievably, a possible return to running (and then a drink in your bar?!?). It's an easier decision the worse my foot becomes, but just the last few days my foot has felt a little better for the first time in a very long time--naturally, since I was about to set a date for surgery.

No, I don't have RSD. The epidural was for the sciatica in my back. It helped somewhat, but I'm still struggling with the sciatica, over 3 years now, but it is more tolerable than it used to be. The shot itself wasn't terrible--I went to work a day or two later--but the pain, or actually lingering soreness, from the shot did not exactly disappear completely in two days as they said it would; it was more like two months. Credit to you for taking your shots in stride.

All the best to you, and once again,

Joe B. on 9/25/02 at 10:17 (096184)

Hi Laurie,
You mentioned in your post that you are taking meds for anxiety. What exactly are you taking?? Kinda curious cause I'm taking meds for anxiety also.

Re: Joe B

Laurie R on 9/25/02 at 10:34 (096185)

Hi Joe , I take Xanax , I swear this med has saved my life , and I mean 'SAVED' my life.If you don't mind what do you take ?? And does it help you ..... Anxiety is terrible and it stopped me in my tracks last year when it was at it worse . I really thought I was going to die from it ... With me though it took more the Xanax to help control it . If you want to hear more just ask ......My best to you , Laurie R

matts on 9/25/02 at 21:52 (096242)

Thanks for the update story, I missed it earlier, but glad to hear that the surgery has helped you, you certainly deserved some relief. Good luck with continued improvement.

Joe B. on 9/27/02 at 07:18 (096308)

Hi Laurie,
I'm taking Effexor XR. It seems to help a bit, but I have a funny feeling that my Dr. may want to increase my dosage. I'm only taking 75mg a day and the last time I increased it, I had trouble sleeping. So what were you on before you tried Xanax?? How much Xanax do you take?? How long does it last?? You can reply to me here at work instead of using the message board. Just email me at (email removed).

Laurie R on 9/27/02 at 10:16 (096337)

Hi Joe , I sent you an email. Laurie R

wendyn on 9/23/02 at 07:33 (096001)

Laurie, what I nice thing to wake up to this morning! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well, and that you're on the road to recovery.

Re: Wonderful, Laurie!

Julie on 9/23/02 at 07:38 (096002)

Welcome back, Laurie. We've missed you, but your wonderful post was worth waiting for. You're the supreme example here of how to deal with pain, and turn an unfortunate happening into a learning experience. You're wonderful and I am proud to be amongst your friends.

Necee on 9/23/02 at 08:00 (096003)

Great to see you posting again Laurie, even though we keep in touch via email, it's nice to see you back here!
Hope that you continue to improve, as I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya friend,

Necee

Re: glad for you!

elliott on 9/23/02 at 08:48 (096006)

I still think of you often. Can I ask are you able to walk? painfree?

[[[[[

Re: Laurie, I am so happy for you

Missy B on 9/23/02 at 09:44 (096008)

Laurie,
It is great to hear from you again. I am so glad that you are doing well and your progress is very encouraging. As you point out, finding the right doctors can make all the difference between success and failure when it comes to foot pain and/or RSD. You sound like you have found two wonderful doctors and I hope they continue to work together during what I suspect will be a long, but positive recovery.

As for good days and bad days, I still have those too. My PF/TT surgery was last January, and I can truthfully say that my good days far outnumber my bad ones, but I still have one pop up every now and then. Just last week I had a day at work when I began to worry that I was backsliding because I had more discomfort than usual. But the next day was almost pain free. I guess my foot will always be a little unpredictable, but at least I am enjoying a somewhat active life again.

I hope you will continue to post here - your story can be an inspiration to many and because of all you have been through, you can offer a lot of support to those who come here for help, answers, or just a friend to listen. And remember, we will always be here for you too - to cheer you on through the good days and offer support during the bad ones.

Missy B.

Suzanne D on 9/23/02 at 11:23 (096010)

Laurie, I join many others in being very happy to find your post today and so pleased that you are making progress! Your positive attitude is unsurpassed; I know that has been - and will continue to be - a great help in your healing process.

Please continue to post as you have the time and energy. You are missed when you're absent. You are an example to us all of courage and good attitude!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Laurie, you are an angel

Valerie S on 9/23/02 at 11:31 (096012)

Thank you Laurie, once again, as you were one of my guardian angels when I was at my lowest with PF and believing the world had ended. If anyone deserves a full recovery, it is you! I know you have been through so much and for so long it seemed like it just kept getting worse for you. I am glad to hear that much of your pain is gone, and you are headed toward recovery and that walk on the beach. We are all cheering for you. It is so good to see you posting again. Thanks for taking the time to share with us how you are doing. We miss you. I think of you and pray for you often.

Your friend, Val.

Laurie R on 9/23/02 at 20:55 (096047)

Hi Elliott and everyone , first off I want to thank you all for your kind words to me . They mean more then I could say ...... Ok Elliott to answer your question , yes sometimes I can now ... Can you believe that ? But fromt he start I had more pain being off my feet then on .... Still the same for now .... But my tendon pain is gone ... Like I said , surgery for me was a great choice and I am so glad I had it done ..... Now I still deal and live with RSD that is in a class all by itself .... It flares up sometimes terrible , but other times it is not so bad .....

I think I am healing great from the surgery , I had a lot of stuff done while in surgery ... I think my Pod figured I was only going to have one surgery so he did it all ....

It is very sad for me to read how many people had bad outcomes from their surgeries , it really brakes me heart ....I am very lucky to have two awesome doctors , and my Pod from the start took his time with me ... He told me that his surgery on me had to be perfect ... The word perfect scares me and is not one I use a lot , but I knew what he ment ...

Elliott , how are you doing now adays ? How is your pain level ? When you have time I would really like to hear how you are doing ... Ok I am going to piss you off now , but I just have to do this for old times ok here is goes .....

((((((((((((((((((ELLIOTT)))))))))))))) One big hug for you .......LOL

My best to all of you wonderful and kind people ..... An extra special thanks to my very special and dear friend Julie who went out of her way to help me in my lowest time of need ..... Thank you Julie from my heart for all you have done for me ....You and my dear friend Nancy S are the ones that got me on the right track to learn how to deal with my terrible panic disorder ......

I feel I have so many people to thank . I never ever forget when someone was kind to me NEVER .... So many here have touched my heart ..... One day if Scoot does not mind , I am going to make a list of each of you and how your have touched my heart and life .... I have so many special things I am going to say about you all ......

Much love to all , Laurie R

Re: The sweet smell of success :*)

BrianG on 9/23/02 at 21:20 (096050)

Hi Laurie,

Thanks so much for the update, we are all happy that your surgery was so successful. And with time, I know you are going to be feeling even better. There is one thing that JUMPS OUT at me when I read your story. Your doc had the good sense to take you out of work 3 months after your injury. And you did your part, by listening to him, and resting when it was most important.

I think we all have something to learn from your case. I'm guilty of it myself, trying to work through the pain. I know some people can do it, with minor cases, but I have to believe the majority of us that have had PF for years, made that one very big mistake at the beginning of our injury.

Best wishes my friend, you have overcome some great odds! Also, the healing will continue, and your patience will eventually pay off wih even more healing.

Regards
BrianG

Anthony P on 9/23/02 at 21:37 (096054)

Laurie, HI , Great to see you back on the board again : ) We missed your always kind and helpful posts .
I'm so happy that things are going well for you and your happy with the results from surgery.
My Best Anthony P : )

Re: Laurie and all

Julie on 9/23/02 at 23:41 (096069)

Thank you Laurie! You know I was glad to help. And I'm so glad that your panic disorder is under control now.

You know what, Laurie? You are a true healer.

I'm off to Crete in ten minutes, so I'll say goodbye to you and everyone for two weeks.

See you soon. Take care,

Love to everyone

Julie

john h on 9/24/02 at 09:22 (096089)

Laurie: As one who seems to have suffered more than most I sincerely hope your life is turning around and the pain greatly subsiding. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

JudyS on 9/24/02 at 11:16 (096103)

Laurie I've been hoping to see your name in print here for awhile now and I'm so glad you were able to update us so well.

I want to tell you about something that I noticed immediately with your words today - you have written down your thoughts, feelings and experiences as well as darn near any writer I've ever read. How you wrote today compared with how you had to write a year ago when you were completely at your wits' end is truly remarkable.

I hope you'll permit me to say that a different Laurie wrote these words today and, yet again, the rest of us get to learn a lesson from your angel-like nature. I salute you, my friend, and I hope to always benifit from the insights you've been forced to come to terms with.

JudyS on 9/24/02 at 11:19 (096104)

welcome home, John :)

nancy s. on 9/24/02 at 11:27 (096105)

laurie, you are a unique, very special kind of inspiration. your nature makes it very easy to reach out to you, and your courage, determination, and hard work in dealing with everything the past three years still knock my socks off!
nancy

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 14:55 (096115)

My Goodness , You all have made my day !!! Judy , of course you may say anything about me .. Your post has really made me feel so good .... As you all know I have always been so hard on myself for my writing . You have to know that I have lived with dyslexia my whole life and I did not learn to read till I was 16 . Of course I have come a long way , but it is always in the back of my head that I can't write or spell well..... So waht you just said to me Judy was just awesome and my me feel so good......Thank you from the bottom of my heart.....

Dearest Nancy , Thank you , wow , I guess we don't realize how others see us or feel about us ....

I have always loved this board , to me I have made life long friends ... I am just blown away by the replys I got from everyone ...

My goal in life is to help anyone that may need or want my help . I am taking what I have been through and what I go through everyday with RSD and my other foot problems and making it postitive ....No pitty here . I feel if you take one thing from everything you go through in life , you are ahead of the game .... Pain is terrible to live with everyday , but I feel you can control some of it . Of course I have pain everyday still , but I try not to give into it . I can't work and may never be able to ever work again , but I have learned to deal with what has been given to me .

I am so blessed in so many other ways .... I am going to ask my kids and Rico to read this thread . I am so proud of all of you ...... Thank you for everything you all have warm my heart ......

THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU ........ Much love always , Laurie R

Janet C on 9/24/02 at 16:08 (096121)

Dear Laurie ~

As you know, I've been having some computer problems the last couple of days, so I apologize for not posting a response to you sooner.

Although late, I wanted to jump in here and tell you that I couldn't be happier for you... I pray for you every day that God will look down upon you and bless you, and heal you with His touch... and it is so good to hear the joy in your words, that our prayers have been heard!

Along with our prayers, you have shown wisdom, and have been cautious and diligent with your feet, which I'm sure is the key to a successful outcome. Congratulations for all the improvements that you've made, and may you continue to feel better every day!

There's a saying, 'It's not WHAT happens to you that matters. It's what you DO with what happens to you that is important.' And through your example, you have shown that this is true.

God bless you now and always... With Love ~ Janet

elliott on 9/24/02 at 20:20 (096137)

Really an inspiration to hear of your progress and see you post again. The positive side of RSD is that since its diagnosis is rather new, maybe there are chances for some major breakthroughs in the near future. I had just one scope-guided epidural and that was enough, so I think a lot about those shots you must get in the back regularly and live with that.

Me? I have some positive things and some less so. But this thread's about you; maybe I'll talk later about me.

I still dream one day I have the privilege to drop in to your bar in the middle of my run and you pour me a drink on the house as we talk of the good ole days, or better, actually re-live them. Fantasy, maybe, but we need our dreams.

Hey, I'll take your hugs anytime, but with Rico reading this thread I might have to pass this time--I hear the Italians are real jealous. :-) All the best.

[[[[[[[]]]]]]]

Re: Elliott

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 20:34 (096139)

Dear Elliott , YOu are too funny!!! Frist off Rico is not Italian ,I am ... He is Mexican ...... Plus he knows how much everyone here has helped me so he does not care at all if I give out hugs.. You should see me in real life , I even hug my doctors... I hug everyone , that is the Italian in me .. :)

Now if I was still able to work I would of love to buy you a drink. Boy how I miss the good old days of working .... They say I can't ever go back to that type of work again . But like you say we can dream of it ... That is one thing , no one can take our dreams from us ....

Now this is not my thread , I asked how you are doing and I really would like to hear how you are .... Only if you want to tell .....

You should a lot different Elliott , I am trying to figure out why .. It a good thing .....

It has been so great to come back here and see and hear all the wonderful things everyone has said about me... I think I may get a big head after this . I sure have missed everyone ....

Ok my best to you always Elliott ....

Now don't be silly take the hug this time .....

((((((((((((((((ELLIOTT ))))))))))))))))

Laurie R

PS why did you get a epidural ? To me now , they are no big deal at all . But my PM doc drugs me up good , I don't feel a thing at all. Just the way I like it . And it helps so much when I am in a RSD flare up ... Do you also have RSD ??

Laurie R on 9/24/02 at 20:39 (096144)

Dearest Sweet Angel Janet~ , You are the best , you know I think the world of you . It was you that helped me to learn and understand RSD ... You know I call you my RSD sister . For all you go through each and everyday , you have always took the time to help me . My 1000's of questions and just your gentle words of wisdom you always give me .

I can't even count how many times I have wrote to you in a panic ... To many to count .... See I took your advise and came back to the board .. :)

You are truly my angel of light and I am so very blessed that you and I have become such great friends ... YOu have helped me more then words can say .....I thank you from the bottom of my heart .....

Much love to you always , Laurie R

I hope you get your pc all fixed up , I don't know what I would do if I could not talk to you everyday :)

elliott on 9/24/02 at 22:40 (096160)

OK, then, I won't wait any longer:

If you were back at work, you wouldn't need to buy me a drink, cause your old boss, who no doubt once valued you so much, wouldn't mind you giving out an occasional free drink to your hugging friends, especially those carrying no change in their running shorts. :-)

On the good side, I think I'm past the worst with the TTS in my left foot. It was near unbearable the last two years, with setback even post-surgery, but in the last few months has now settled down a lot(!!!), maybe that's why me too. I am just so happy about that and less edgy. (In retrospect I should've taken medication during that time.) I'm hoping another six months or a year and this foot will be near-perfect. While the TTS in my other (right) foot went away with the surgery, that foot has weakened over the past two years and in the last two months has felt near constant collapse around the entire instep and it is painful to walk. It's been diagnosed recently as an elevated first metatarsal causing instability (I hope the diagnosis completely explains all my symptoms), but I'm sure some of it came as a result of the surgery, since it felt newly wrong when I woke up and that feeling never went away. I found great shoes, orthotics, clogs that help, but it is hard to live with this forever. I'm considering a surgery requiring several incisions and involving osteotomies and fusions, which will change the shape of my foot from flat and flabby to high-arched and sexy. :-) The surgeon I would use is considered by many the best in the state, although his technique would not necessarily be exactly the same as others'. It sounds scary, despite the stated high chances of success (some have heard that before) and, unbelievably, a possible return to running (and then a drink in your bar?!?). It's an easier decision the worse my foot becomes, but just the last few days my foot has felt a little better for the first time in a very long time--naturally, since I was about to set a date for surgery.

No, I don't have RSD. The epidural was for the sciatica in my back. It helped somewhat, but I'm still struggling with the sciatica, over 3 years now, but it is more tolerable than it used to be. The shot itself wasn't terrible--I went to work a day or two later--but the pain, or actually lingering soreness, from the shot did not exactly disappear completely in two days as they said it would; it was more like two months. Credit to you for taking your shots in stride.

All the best to you, and once again,

Joe B. on 9/25/02 at 10:17 (096184)

Hi Laurie,
You mentioned in your post that you are taking meds for anxiety. What exactly are you taking?? Kinda curious cause I'm taking meds for anxiety also.

Laurie R on 9/25/02 at 10:34 (096185)

Hi Joe , I take Xanax , I swear this med has saved my life , and I mean 'SAVED' my life.If you don't mind what do you take ?? And does it help you ..... Anxiety is terrible and it stopped me in my tracks last year when it was at it worse . I really thought I was going to die from it ... With me though it took more the Xanax to help control it . If you want to hear more just ask ......My best to you , Laurie R

matts on 9/25/02 at 21:52 (096242)

Thanks for the update story, I missed it earlier, but glad to hear that the surgery has helped you, you certainly deserved some relief. Good luck with continued improvement.

Joe B. on 9/27/02 at 07:18 (096308)

Hi Laurie,
I'm taking Effexor XR. It seems to help a bit, but I have a funny feeling that my Dr. may want to increase my dosage. I'm only taking 75mg a day and the last time I increased it, I had trouble sleeping. So what were you on before you tried Xanax?? How much Xanax do you take?? How long does it last?? You can reply to me here at work instead of using the message board. Just email me at (email removed).

Laurie R on 9/27/02 at 10:16 (096337)

Hi Joe , I sent you an email. Laurie R