Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what does a chiropractor / kenesiologist do?

Posted by Ellen J. on 9/23/02 at 15:37 (096026)

Hi all,
I've just made an appt. with a chiropractor / kenesiologist based on my cousin's recent positive experience with one.( Her 'Morton's Neuroma' was helped) Of course, I do not expect any miracles but since I have low back pain and hip pain along with the P.F. I figured I would give it a try.
Does anyone know what the 'kenesiologist' part entails? I can guess from the word that it means 'movement' but I wonder what the doctor does exactly. Also, is there anything I should NOT let the doctor do?
Ellen J.

Re: what does a chiropractor / kenesiologist do?

Carmen H on 9/23/02 at 16:03 (096027)

My kinesi. did wonders for my back and some temporary relief came for my feet.
He should sit down with you and explain things before he gets started...as it is somewhat of a hard thing to understand.
Some of it you can read about here http://www.kinesiologist.com/

Make sure you tell him EVERYthing about your history with muscle/bone problems. Also tell him if you have any serious pain at the time of your visit so he is gentle with you.

Re: chiropractor / kenesiologist

Ellen J. on 9/23/02 at 20:45 (096045)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for your advice and thoughts. The reason I'm going to this person is that he apparently doesn't 'crack' backs to make adjustments. He uses other techniques which take a bit longer to have an effect, but which are gentler. For some reason I'm paranoid about going to anyone who wants to put alot of force on my spine, so I thought this person's technique might be a good start. My boyfriend goes to this person and that he gets improvement--it's just not as dramatic and instantaneous as with the usual adjustments that chiros make. If I find the experience interesting and beneficial I'll post the results. Not to say that it would help everyone, but maybe others would find it interesting.
As you mentioned, I'll be sure to tell him everything about my hips/back/feet.
Thanks again,
Ellen J.

Re: PS.

Ellen J. on 9/23/02 at 20:49 (096046)

PS.
Speaking of spines; I just finished watching Christopher Reeves on Larry King Live and am so incredibly excited for him since he can now move fingers and feet. Who knows how much he will continue to progress but it's very happy news at any rate.
He is an inspiration to us all.
Ellen

R C on 9/23/02 at 21:30 (096053)

I'll spare everyone my usual diatribe about chiropractic, but -- don't let them crack your neck. There is evidence for an increased risk of stroke.

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 08:22 (096083)

Yes the manipulations are gentle....if there is any cracking it should be minimal.
There will be mostly 'movement on his part' and 'feeling' what your body tells him.
Some of it is quite amazing....While he is working on you ask him a couple of time to explain what he's doing & what it will affect. This will be helpful in figuring out how 'good' he is if he doesn't skip a beat and sound all sketchy.

Re: Re:thanks for all your thoughts...

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 10:42 (096098)

Hi,
Glad to know that--though I plan to prevent him from doing any cracking at all. I've had enough problems with doctors pushing and probing too hard and inadvertently causing more pain so I'm quite careful when I go.
Some people seem to benefit from chiros and others don't believe in them. I guess I'll find out what my opinion is on thursday after I go.
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it, as it helps prevent future problelms.
Also, I did my first yoga class last night and LOVED it! I was careful to modify the stretches to prevent injury to the feet by not doing any that involved getting up on the toes, etc. I didn't think I would like yoga because it's slow movement and I like fast things (like skiing and running). However, it's great for teaching me to slow down and relax.
Ellen J.

Re: Re:thanks Carmen

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 10:45 (096099)

I will ask him what he's doing and why--which would be typical of me anyway. I'm always curious about what doctors are doing and why they are doing it. It will be interesting to see what he has to say and you're right, it will help me determine if he really knows what he's doing. Very good advice!
Thanks again,
Ellen

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 14:15 (096114)

Good Luck! let me know how it goes!

Carmen H on 9/23/02 at 16:03 (096027)

My kinesi. did wonders for my back and some temporary relief came for my feet.
He should sit down with you and explain things before he gets started...as it is somewhat of a hard thing to understand.
Some of it you can read about here http://www.kinesiologist.com/

Make sure you tell him EVERYthing about your history with muscle/bone problems. Also tell him if you have any serious pain at the time of your visit so he is gentle with you.

Ellen J. on 9/23/02 at 20:45 (096045)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for your advice and thoughts. The reason I'm going to this person is that he apparently doesn't 'crack' backs to make adjustments. He uses other techniques which take a bit longer to have an effect, but which are gentler. For some reason I'm paranoid about going to anyone who wants to put alot of force on my spine, so I thought this person's technique might be a good start. My boyfriend goes to this person and that he gets improvement--it's just not as dramatic and instantaneous as with the usual adjustments that chiros make. If I find the experience interesting and beneficial I'll post the results. Not to say that it would help everyone, but maybe others would find it interesting.
As you mentioned, I'll be sure to tell him everything about my hips/back/feet.
Thanks again,
Ellen J.

Re: PS.

Ellen J. on 9/23/02 at 20:49 (096046)

PS.
Speaking of spines; I just finished watching Christopher Reeves on Larry King Live and am so incredibly excited for him since he can now move fingers and feet. Who knows how much he will continue to progress but it's very happy news at any rate.
He is an inspiration to us all.
Ellen

R C on 9/23/02 at 21:30 (096053)

I'll spare everyone my usual diatribe about chiropractic, but -- don't let them crack your neck. There is evidence for an increased risk of stroke.

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 08:22 (096083)

Yes the manipulations are gentle....if there is any cracking it should be minimal.
There will be mostly 'movement on his part' and 'feeling' what your body tells him.
Some of it is quite amazing....While he is working on you ask him a couple of time to explain what he's doing & what it will affect. This will be helpful in figuring out how 'good' he is if he doesn't skip a beat and sound all sketchy.

Re: Re:thanks for all your thoughts...

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 10:42 (096098)

Hi,
Glad to know that--though I plan to prevent him from doing any cracking at all. I've had enough problems with doctors pushing and probing too hard and inadvertently causing more pain so I'm quite careful when I go.
Some people seem to benefit from chiros and others don't believe in them. I guess I'll find out what my opinion is on thursday after I go.
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it, as it helps prevent future problelms.
Also, I did my first yoga class last night and LOVED it! I was careful to modify the stretches to prevent injury to the feet by not doing any that involved getting up on the toes, etc. I didn't think I would like yoga because it's slow movement and I like fast things (like skiing and running). However, it's great for teaching me to slow down and relax.
Ellen J.

Ellen J. on 9/24/02 at 10:45 (096099)

I will ask him what he's doing and why--which would be typical of me anyway. I'm always curious about what doctors are doing and why they are doing it. It will be interesting to see what he has to say and you're right, it will help me determine if he really knows what he's doing. Very good advice!
Thanks again,
Ellen

Carmen H on 9/24/02 at 14:15 (096114)

Good Luck! let me know how it goes!

scott on 8/01/07 at 21:41 (233844)

Kenesiologist........... well its quite simple... And yes your were right with movment, Its the understanding that all things in life are with vibrations, with our body as well... normal kenesiologist are herbalest and well and will make remadies which will act with the vibrations in our body!! SOrry my spelling is not good, but i hope i was able to help out, take care