Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just wondering

Posted by jan H. on 9/23/02 at 16:35 (096030)

Have any of you had problems with weakness in your feet when you first get out of bed? I have had PF for several years now and when I first get up my feet just wont hold me up-not so much pain-that happens later in the day, but weakness so I have to hold on to things to be able to walk. Just wondered.

Re: just wondering

BrianJ on 9/23/02 at 17:08 (096033)

Jan --

I think many of us have stiffness or pain first thing in the morning, but actual weakness seems a little unusual. I would see a good podiattrist and make sure there is not something else going on. Also, you might want to take the sharp end of a toothpick and gently prick along the bottoms of your feet. Sometimes, you can find numb areas that might indicate a nerve issue.

nancy s. on 9/23/02 at 17:13 (096036)

jan, have you been having anything else along with your pf? i've had achilles, peroneal, and post tib tendonitis in both feet, piled on top of the pf, and i experienced quite a bit of weakness all around my feet because of it when i first got up. i still do feel it some, but not so bad as before.
nancy

jan H. on 9/23/02 at 18:38 (096042)

Haven't told the POD about the weakness yet, and I don't think I have any other problems. I have a spur underneath my achilles tendon and one on the bottom of each foot. Nancy-what helped your feet?

nancy s. on 9/24/02 at 11:03 (096100)

jan, i made a lot of mistakes with my feet at first: tried to walk and work through the pain for months, and then stayed with an incompetent pod too long. when i finally realized how serious this was, and how seriously it was affecting my entire life, i got realistic.

what ultimately helped most (and it took a long time):

(0) heelspurs.com.
(1) birks.
(2) serious rest, during which i walked only very short distances and only when i absolutely had to -- i iced and elevated a lot. i rented a wheelchair for a couple of trips we took.
(3) i stopped working (am an antiques dealer) -- initially i planned to be off work for three months, but it turned out to be much longer once the tendonitises developed. at that point i found a great sports med doc.
(4) seven weeks in an aircast to rest the foot with the worst tendonitis.
(5) six months of physical therapy, plus an at-home very gentle, non-weight-bearing, and gradual stretching and strengthening program.
(6) homeopathy.

i'm happy to say that after three nightmare years, i'm now back to work, i can take walks, and i can do pretty much what i want to do. but i'll always have to manage my feet. if i overdo it on them, they suffer -- but they come back quickly if i ice and elevate and rest them. i also tape them now some days.

they're not perfect, and for a long time i thought i'd never be happy again unless they DID become perfect. that turned out not to be true! i've adjusted to managing them, and i'm just grateful to have a life again. i hope the same, or even better, for you!

nancy

Mahatmelissama on 9/25/02 at 17:29 (096214)

Nancy, good for you! Thx for your inspiring post!~

BrianJ on 9/23/02 at 17:08 (096033)

Jan --

I think many of us have stiffness or pain first thing in the morning, but actual weakness seems a little unusual. I would see a good podiattrist and make sure there is not something else going on. Also, you might want to take the sharp end of a toothpick and gently prick along the bottoms of your feet. Sometimes, you can find numb areas that might indicate a nerve issue.

nancy s. on 9/23/02 at 17:13 (096036)

jan, have you been having anything else along with your pf? i've had achilles, peroneal, and post tib tendonitis in both feet, piled on top of the pf, and i experienced quite a bit of weakness all around my feet because of it when i first got up. i still do feel it some, but not so bad as before.
nancy

jan H. on 9/23/02 at 18:38 (096042)

Haven't told the POD about the weakness yet, and I don't think I have any other problems. I have a spur underneath my achilles tendon and one on the bottom of each foot. Nancy-what helped your feet?

nancy s. on 9/24/02 at 11:03 (096100)

jan, i made a lot of mistakes with my feet at first: tried to walk and work through the pain for months, and then stayed with an incompetent pod too long. when i finally realized how serious this was, and how seriously it was affecting my entire life, i got realistic.

what ultimately helped most (and it took a long time):

(0) heelspurs.com.
(1) birks.
(2) serious rest, during which i walked only very short distances and only when i absolutely had to -- i iced and elevated a lot. i rented a wheelchair for a couple of trips we took.
(3) i stopped working (am an antiques dealer) -- initially i planned to be off work for three months, but it turned out to be much longer once the tendonitises developed. at that point i found a great sports med doc.
(4) seven weeks in an aircast to rest the foot with the worst tendonitis.
(5) six months of physical therapy, plus an at-home very gentle, non-weight-bearing, and gradual stretching and strengthening program.
(6) homeopathy.

i'm happy to say that after three nightmare years, i'm now back to work, i can take walks, and i can do pretty much what i want to do. but i'll always have to manage my feet. if i overdo it on them, they suffer -- but they come back quickly if i ice and elevate and rest them. i also tape them now some days.

they're not perfect, and for a long time i thought i'd never be happy again unless they DID become perfect. that turned out not to be true! i've adjusted to managing them, and i'm just grateful to have a life again. i hope the same, or even better, for you!

nancy

Mahatmelissama on 9/25/02 at 17:29 (096214)

Nancy, good for you! Thx for your inspiring post!~