Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by Sue C on 9/23/02 at 21:46 (096056)

I have had heel spurs for several years. I have had inserts made for my shoes and two sets of cortizone injections. The injections worked for about 6 months but the pain is back worse and I can hardly walk at times. I have been told by one doctor not to have foot surgery and another to have foot sergury. What is the best direction to go? Is their any other treatment that works for the pain? Has the surgery been improved and what are the chances of positive results from the surgery? It seems you can not ffind 2 doctors to agree on the treatment or results.

Re: Heel Spurs

Dr. Z on 9/23/02 at 22:07 (096058)

Surgery is an option but does have risks and benefits. With the advent of ESWT surgery in my practice has been replaced. ESWT is FDA approved and has very little risks involved. It is a non-invasive procedure. We have performed hundreds of ESWT procedure in our practice with very good results. If you would like additional information about ESWT or have additional questions feel free to ask or e-mail Dr. Zuckerman at (email removed). Hope that this is helpful

Virginia on 9/24/02 at 15:28 (096118)

How do I know if I have bone spur in the left heel, plantar's faciitis, plantar's wart or neuroma?

The left foot has felt strange for months, but now standing a lot....causes pain.
I can touch the bottom of my heel and feel the 'spot.'
However, if I don't take a Tylenol, or Celebrex and wear my gel insoles....it aches from my arch up to my knee.
Thank you,
Virginia

Dr. Z on 9/24/02 at 20:38 (096143)

In order to rule out bone spur you need to take an x-ray, a wart is by physical inspection and an neuroma isn't typical for that area . Neuroma is usually in the toe area . The best way is see a podiatrist and he or she can quickly evaluate and rule out of the above from experience

Dr. Z on 9/23/02 at 22:07 (096058)

Surgery is an option but does have risks and benefits. With the advent of ESWT surgery in my practice has been replaced. ESWT is FDA approved and has very little risks involved. It is a non-invasive procedure. We have performed hundreds of ESWT procedure in our practice with very good results. If you would like additional information about ESWT or have additional questions feel free to ask or e-mail Dr. Zuckerman at (email removed). Hope that this is helpful

Virginia on 9/24/02 at 15:28 (096118)

How do I know if I have bone spur in the left heel, plantar's faciitis, plantar's wart or neuroma?

The left foot has felt strange for months, but now standing a lot....causes pain.
I can touch the bottom of my heel and feel the 'spot.'
However, if I don't take a Tylenol, or Celebrex and wear my gel insoles....it aches from my arch up to my knee.
Thank you,
Virginia

Dr. Z on 9/24/02 at 20:38 (096143)

In order to rule out bone spur you need to take an x-ray, a wart is by physical inspection and an neuroma isn't typical for that area . Neuroma is usually in the toe area . The best way is see a podiatrist and he or she can quickly evaluate and rule out of the above from experience