Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just got approved for Ossatron procedure

Posted by CherieH on 9/23/02 at 22:16 (096059)

I found out today that I have been approved for the Ossatron. I have been dealing with plantar fascitis for 10 yrs. I really haven't been given much info, but I do know that I will be my doctor's 1st pt which worries me. I read that the plantar fascitis can burst??? Is there any way that they can tell is the ligament is weak, I have had probably 4-5 steriod injections over the last 10 yrs and I know that it can cause it to weaken. My current doctor told me he stops at 3, so I was a little worried. My previous doctor just wanted to cut open my heal and scrape off the spur. I'm very nervous about this. How long will it be before I go back to work?? I have lots of ??'s

Re: Just got approved for Ossatron procedure

Julie on 9/23/02 at 23:34 (096067)

Cherie, I'm not a doctor and I'm sure one of them will speak to you about the Ossatron, but I don't think you need to worry about your tissues having weakened due to five steroid injections over ten years. I believe the general consensus is that two or three A YEAR is maximum.

I'm glad you're not having your spur surgically scraped. Spurs are very rarely the cause of the pain of PF - they seem to be the body's response to the injury to the fascia.

BrianG on 9/24/02 at 16:50 (096124)

Hi Cherie,

Do you have the approval in writing? If not, do yourself a favor, and get it. There have been people that thought they were approved, but ran into trouble when it came time to pay. No need to be nervous, this will be so much easier than surgery. You may want to take a couple days off work, but some people go back the next day. What type of work do you do? Hopefully you have a sit down type job. If not, you could be compromising the ESWT treatment.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

CherieH on 9/24/02 at 20:04 (096135)

The dr's office called me to let me know that they got the approval, I will have to get a copy. I am a lab tech in a hospital. I do quite a bit of sitting, but I do get up & down a lot. How many days will I be off work. I'm just nervous because I know that I'm the first patient that has been approved for my Dr. I don't want to be the guinea pig. Do they do conscious sedation??

Joe S on 9/24/02 at 20:42 (096145)

Cherie,

ESWT is very rewarding. However it is not the cure all that many may think. Some people still have pain afterwards. We had 3 patients set up for ESWT this week. Only one is actually approved. The other two could not get their insurance company to guarantee in writing that they would pay for the treatment, the facility fee or the anesthesia fee. You need to make sure your company will pay or you will be set back a few grand guaranteed. Good luck and keep your spirits high.

Dr. Z on 9/24/02 at 21:13 (096149)

Good luck. Yes ESWT isn't a cure all but it has none of the risks that a plantar fascia release entails. Getting the approval in writing is something that healthronics can help you with. This is called pre-certification. It is a must. It is also important to have a letter of medical necessity. This details the indications and all of the conservative treatments that failed to resolve your heel pain. I just read a new policy by Horizon Blue Shield that states that you must have two rounds of physical Therapy plus a failed course of nsaid or a steriod injection. With this company biomechanical orthosis aren't considered a round of failed conservative treatment. What will they think of next

Joe S on 9/25/02 at 19:29 (096226)

Sarcastically speaking they will require you to do a complete fasciectomy prior to approving ESWT. Insurance companies really frustrate me. It's amazing, today I saw a patient that did not have coverage for an OV if she see's a podiatrist. However, she is covered for any procedure performed in the office setting. I aspirated a cyst. She was a referral from an internist for this problem.

Julie on 9/23/02 at 23:34 (096067)

Cherie, I'm not a doctor and I'm sure one of them will speak to you about the Ossatron, but I don't think you need to worry about your tissues having weakened due to five steroid injections over ten years. I believe the general consensus is that two or three A YEAR is maximum.

I'm glad you're not having your spur surgically scraped. Spurs are very rarely the cause of the pain of PF - they seem to be the body's response to the injury to the fascia.

BrianG on 9/24/02 at 16:50 (096124)

Hi Cherie,

Do you have the approval in writing? If not, do yourself a favor, and get it. There have been people that thought they were approved, but ran into trouble when it came time to pay. No need to be nervous, this will be so much easier than surgery. You may want to take a couple days off work, but some people go back the next day. What type of work do you do? Hopefully you have a sit down type job. If not, you could be compromising the ESWT treatment.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

CherieH on 9/24/02 at 20:04 (096135)

The dr's office called me to let me know that they got the approval, I will have to get a copy. I am a lab tech in a hospital. I do quite a bit of sitting, but I do get up & down a lot. How many days will I be off work. I'm just nervous because I know that I'm the first patient that has been approved for my Dr. I don't want to be the guinea pig. Do they do conscious sedation??

Joe S on 9/24/02 at 20:42 (096145)

Cherie,

ESWT is very rewarding. However it is not the cure all that many may think. Some people still have pain afterwards. We had 3 patients set up for ESWT this week. Only one is actually approved. The other two could not get their insurance company to guarantee in writing that they would pay for the treatment, the facility fee or the anesthesia fee. You need to make sure your company will pay or you will be set back a few grand guaranteed. Good luck and keep your spirits high.

Dr. Z on 9/24/02 at 21:13 (096149)

Good luck. Yes ESWT isn't a cure all but it has none of the risks that a plantar fascia release entails. Getting the approval in writing is something that healthronics can help you with. This is called pre-certification. It is a must. It is also important to have a letter of medical necessity. This details the indications and all of the conservative treatments that failed to resolve your heel pain. I just read a new policy by Horizon Blue Shield that states that you must have two rounds of physical Therapy plus a failed course of nsaid or a steriod injection. With this company biomechanical orthosis aren't considered a round of failed conservative treatment. What will they think of next

Joe S on 9/25/02 at 19:29 (096226)

Sarcastically speaking they will require you to do a complete fasciectomy prior to approving ESWT. Insurance companies really frustrate me. It's amazing, today I saw a patient that did not have coverage for an OV if she see's a podiatrist. However, she is covered for any procedure performed in the office setting. I aspirated a cyst. She was a referral from an internist for this problem.