Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone Spur Regrowth

Posted by Donna F on 9/24/02 at 05:13 (096081)

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I had open PF surgery 3 months ago with bone spur removal at the same time. The surgery was a success as far as getting rid of the pain in the arch area but did absolutely nothing to help rid the heel of pain. I have been told by my doctor that I now have nerve damage in my heel and during my last visit two weeks ago x-rays show that the bone spur has already started growing back. Is this normal? My doctor does not seem overly concerned about this however he has put me back into a hard cast to 'rest' the foot and his next treatment will include cortisone injections and another hard cast to 'rest' it for several more weeks. Thanks for any input!!

Re: Bone Spur Regrowth

Dr. Z on 9/26/02 at 21:23 (096288)

It is possible for bone to regenerate. This usually has no effect on the final outcome of your heel spur operation. I have many patients post ten years that have no heel pain and a heel spur. Strange that the arch pain went away and the heel pain didn't . It usually the opposite effect for heel spur surgery. Good idea to rest the foot in a cast for now

Re: Bone Spur Regrowth

Dr. Z on 9/26/02 at 21:23 (096288)

It is possible for bone to regenerate. This usually has no effect on the final outcome of your heel spur operation. I have many patients post ten years that have no heel pain and a heel spur. Strange that the arch pain went away and the heel pain didn't . It usually the opposite effect for heel spur surgery. Good idea to rest the foot in a cast for now