Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fibroma

Posted by Dave R on 9/24/02 at 20:52 (096148)

I have a plantar fibroma located very close to the heel end of the plantar facia. It's almost the size of a small marble...3/8 inch in diameter.

My question is other than surgery...is there any other viable option? To me it seems wise to remove it so it does not grow/multiply and become more difficult to remove in the future....requiring more plantar facia removal and possibly more nerve damage. (Also my become malignent??)

Thoughts??

Re: Plantar Fibroma

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/02 at 18:52 (096275)

Dave:

Surgery is often the least viable option. There is a high recurrence rate after surgery. Injection of the fibroma with a solution containing triamcinolone acetonide and hyaluronidase usually results in a significant decrease in size in about 3 weeks.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/02 at 18:52 (096275)

Dave:

Surgery is often the least viable option. There is a high recurrence rate after surgery. Injection of the fibroma with a solution containing triamcinolone acetonide and hyaluronidase usually results in a significant decrease in size in about 3 weeks.
Ed

Re: Plantar facia

megan on 11/06/03 at 05:43 (136523)

Hi

can you tell me how thick the plantar facia?

thanks

TERESAP on 9/28/07 at 19:52 (236887)

I HAVE BEEN TOLD I NEED MY PLANTAR FIBROMA REMOVED, AND WAS SEARCHING THE WEB TO SEE IF THERE WAS AN ALTERNATE APPROACH. I WAS RELIEVED TO READ YOUR ADVICE. I AM IN THE FORT LAUDERDALE AREA. HOW CAN I FIND A DOCTOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS INJECTION? CAN YOU REFER SOMEONE?