Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

injections

Posted by Diana S. on 9/24/02 at 21:25 (096152)

I have had plantar fasciitis for 6 years and could get it better by rest/ice/elevation and exercise. Jan. '02 it returned and have been treating since-----just finished my 3rd round of cortisone injections and WHAT RELIEF!! Was in an air cast for 6 wks. until recent injections again!
By accident, I tried on an OLD pair of shoes------I call them sling backs, mules or whatever. MY what instant relief----guess the elevation of the heels are good for my feet?? In my career days, I always wore this type of shoe and never had the recent problems? Surgery is next in line, as NO MORE cortisone this year. My Podiatrist is excellent and so far, have had injections, night splints, air cast, therapy and I am a huge fan of taping! Love the EASY diagram of taping at heelspurs.com----thanks much!

Re: injections

Debie R. on 9/25/02 at 17:02 (096213)

I was first diagnosed w/plantar fasciitis in the right heel 16 yrs ago. I was not offered the option of steroid injections. Instead, my podiatrist injected a sclerosing agent into the inflamed area. She stated that the sclerosing agent would cause an inflammatory process, which in turn would build up the tissue in the affected area and eliminate the pain. She used no anesthetics and it was extremely painful! A few hours after the injections, I could not walk on the foot; I had to use crutches for two days!! I subsequently had two more rounds of these injections. Today, I don't know what it is to have heel pain in my right foot! On 7/12/02, I was diagnosed with the same condition in my left heel. My present podiatrist (who was in practice w/my former podiatrist) gave me a steroid injection, which gave me some, but not total relief. We discussed my prior treatment for this condition and I decided to give it another try. I had my first injection on 9/20/02 and it was a different experience altogether! First, he injected a short-acting anesthetic @ the base of my ankle near the site of pain. Then after the site was sufficiently numbed, he injected a combination of dextrose (the sclerosing agent) and a long-acting anesthetic. I had only minimal pain during the injection, and mild to moderate pain afterwards. He prescribed tylenol w/codeine because I was expecting to be in a lot of pain as I was 16 years ago. I've only had to take two of them. NSAID's are not used because they interfere with the inflammatory process, which is necessary to trigger the build up of tissue. I used a cane for one day. It is too early to say if this round of treatment will be all that I need or if this treatment will be successful again. But if past performance is any indicator of future outcome, I know that I'll be painfree once again!

kay on 9/27/02 at 19:13 (096360)

gosh that sounds too good to be true. let us know if it worked. i am going to mention this to my doc. how long does it take to know if it worked?
kay

Debie R. on 9/25/02 at 17:02 (096213)

I was first diagnosed w/plantar fasciitis in the right heel 16 yrs ago. I was not offered the option of steroid injections. Instead, my podiatrist injected a sclerosing agent into the inflamed area. She stated that the sclerosing agent would cause an inflammatory process, which in turn would build up the tissue in the affected area and eliminate the pain. She used no anesthetics and it was extremely painful! A few hours after the injections, I could not walk on the foot; I had to use crutches for two days!! I subsequently had two more rounds of these injections. Today, I don't know what it is to have heel pain in my right foot! On 7/12/02, I was diagnosed with the same condition in my left heel. My present podiatrist (who was in practice w/my former podiatrist) gave me a steroid injection, which gave me some, but not total relief. We discussed my prior treatment for this condition and I decided to give it another try. I had my first injection on 9/20/02 and it was a different experience altogether! First, he injected a short-acting anesthetic @ the base of my ankle near the site of pain. Then after the site was sufficiently numbed, he injected a combination of dextrose (the sclerosing agent) and a long-acting anesthetic. I had only minimal pain during the injection, and mild to moderate pain afterwards. He prescribed tylenol w/codeine because I was expecting to be in a lot of pain as I was 16 years ago. I've only had to take two of them. NSAID's are not used because they interfere with the inflammatory process, which is necessary to trigger the build up of tissue. I used a cane for one day. It is too early to say if this round of treatment will be all that I need or if this treatment will be successful again. But if past performance is any indicator of future outcome, I know that I'll be painfree once again!

kay on 9/27/02 at 19:13 (096360)

gosh that sounds too good to be true. let us know if it worked. i am going to mention this to my doc. how long does it take to know if it worked?
kay